69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread

There has been some time since the last time I reported my caddy progress, due to lack of time after changing job.

In april I took Rex to the exhaust shop, which previously made most of the line, to change muffler -the only thing I didnīt change before, as it was almost acceptable-. After the detonations produced by the condenser fail, the small leak it had finally opened so it was noticeable by the sound of the car. This was not the original muffler but a very similar one; it was substituted by another similar to the original in stainless steel -like the rest of the line-. Now the car hardly produces a sound at idle. Some shots of the moment:

I also got a very cheap set of parts including an original 69-70 exterior mirror (long sought) working ok and with an acceptable chroming, as well as an interior one in perfect condition (mine has some stains on the glass edges). Itīs a detail which has helped noticeably in visibility and aesthetics; the one the car had when I bought it had a very different base so it was slanted from the right angle. Besides, the cables were broken so no adjustment was possible:

This is how it looks now:

After so many years with the A/C inactive, I was recommended to make a deep cleaning before recharging the circuit so I protect the new elements I changed and guarantee a good working of the system. 15 days ago I took it to a shop recommended by a friend to get the circuit cleaned, above all the A/C radiator (evaporator), which was removed and cleaned in depth. Previously, compressor, expansion valve and drier bottle were changed; the system was checked to locate any eventual leak. It was recharged with original gas and oil in quantities advised by the FSM. The result is the A/C is working again silent and fresh. Next june 1, I will take Rex to a wedding so the couple will be comfortable also in the thermal sense

Now Iīm waiting to receive a new steering box -the original one has some leak I was warned of during Safety Inspection- and a complete distributor. When winter is close Iīm planning getting lower front fenders repaired and maybe I take these truck taillights off the rear fender. :P
    77CDV, 77CDV and csbuckn like this.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

simply amazing. I love your car!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Good to hear from you again CF69!

It has been a long road for you with Rex. I am glad to see you are now down to the little details, instead of major issues. Have fun and make some gas money on that wedding circuit this summer! You and Rex should be in high demand.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    simply amazing. I love your car!
    Looking forward to see new pics of your caddy, Matt

----------

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Good to hear from you again CF69!

It has been a long road for you with Rex. I am glad to see you are now down to the little details, instead of major issues. Have fun and make some gas money on that wedding circuit this summer! You and Rex should be in high demand.
    Thanks Dave! Yeah, itīs been a long road but I have not felt it as so long, 'cause several friends has helped me and recommended me good professionals who made a good job without charging me a fortune. It has been an exciting adventure that has not ended yet... Iīll keep you posted

As to the wedding business, itīs difficult nowadays getting clients due to the crisis we live here but I charge a very affordable price (the best for a caddy in the sorroundings). Itīs always a help with the maintenance costs and an opportunity to drive with no worry about the gas
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Rex looks amazing!
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

^Thanks! Little by little we are bringing to the surface the beauty hidden inside that big body. Now waxing and polishing body once more for the next saturday event.

It has been some time since I made the last update here but only in the last weeks we have made relevant progress.

Finally I got the steering box changed. It leaked oil noticeably and it was somewhat loose considering all tie rod ends, idler arm and the drag link were changed. The strut bushings and the stabilizer bar center bushings were changed too, because they were in a worse than poor condition, as the alignment shop technician pointed out one year ago. When I took Rex back to the alignment shop everything could be perfectly adjusted (even the left front wheel camber, as the jammed adjustment nut could be finally moved) and guys it seems a different car. It drives almost like a modern car; steering is accurate and conveys even more confidence than before.

The generator and the P/S belts were also changed. Although they were little more than 2 years old, they squealed when you accelerated the engine to high RPM.

The distributor was also changed. It had some ground problems and the weight system were almost shattered. It required too much advance to get the car running right so when engine was at operating temperature and it was shut off, starting it again was difficult, as the starter seemed to be fighting against the engine at full compression. Now the engine runs better, I can notice a better performance and there are no hot starting problems.

I finally got a new oil filter and got oil and filter changed too. My next door parts shop sold me an "equivalent" filter that leaked oil (even when it was tightened to the limit) when the previous Fram PH 25 never leaked a drop. I could get locally an ACDelco PF24. At first no leak but when I arrived at the parking it leaked somewhat. Maybe it requires to be tighten a bit more... Now itīs the only leak left on this car.

Washer pump is still working all the time when wipers are on. it seems a problem with the control (this is a second hand one I bought from Ebay, in better condition than the original one). It seems the control is feeding constantly the washer relay so the ratchet wheel can never be freed. In addition, when i stop wipers, sometimes they hesitate to start again until I press the washer button slightly and they stop. I should look for a new control or try to fix it... Only if some friend with much better electricity knowledge helps me.

Next December 7th I have to pass again the annual safety inspection. When itīs done, itīs time to think of fixing lower fenders and facing my project to delete the truck taillights from the rear bumper. USA Parts Supply sell lower fenders for $119.00 each... But when you enter a body shop you start thinking of fixing this or that and nobody knows how it can end
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

Once the oil filter was changed, it seems that part of the oil leak came from the front part of the oil pan gasket. It drips from the lower spike of the front (rounded) part of the gasket. The oil filter leak seems solved but now the problem is this part of the gasket.

According to the shop manual, to remove the oil pan on this model you need to remove engine from the vehicle chassis! A friend (he is a mechanic) told me that maybe another option is removing the front cover of the engine and changing just the front part of the gasket -as it is a separate part-.

How difficult is to remove the front cover of the engine? Has anyone done it? Maybe the most difficult part is removing crankshaft pulley...

On the other hand, in the last months, often on cold starts, there is a gas leak from the fuel pump area. After 4 minutes or so it ceases. It seemed to come from a hose just below the pump. It was changed and for some weeks there was no fuel leak but some days ago it happened again. I crept under the car engine and the leak seems to come from the upper part of the pump, like an overflow. Maybe it has some problem on the diaphragm so when the engine warms expansion fixes it temporarily. I have ordered a new fuel pump. I hope the problem is solved definitely.

During the Safety Inspection (I.T.V.) the technician of the station pointed out (in addition of the oil leak) that inner tie rod ends were loose (although they were changed 3 years and 6.000 miles ago). Fortunately the car passed inspection but I was told to change these tie rods. I have asked the mechanic who changed them to take a look. For both of us such a wearing seems incredible. He has proposed another solution for the oil leak: Emptying the engine oil, leaving the oil pan 2 days without any oil so the gasket gets as dry as possible and cleaning the pan with a solvent. After these 2 days applying a special coat to the pan and gasket to seal it. This seems easy at least; maybe itīs worth trying it before we attempt the definitive solution.

Suggestions on any of the issues are welcome.

----------

I have been investigating about fixing the front fenders, rotten in their lower part. A friend of mine who happens to have a body shop thinks that itīs very difficult curing rust even when you cut the sheet by a healthy part, weld a patch and treat it to prevent corrosion. Sooner or later rust will appear again, he says. He advised me itīs better getting rust free fenders and just changing the bad ones for the good ones. Iīve been looking for rust free fenders but they donīt seem to be available for less than $ 600 a piece. Cadillacs Only offers reconditioned bare fenders that have had the rust parts repaired for that price, but I would like to find good non repaired ones for the above reason.

Any information about where could I find them? From Spain itīs more difficult as itīs not the kind of item sold by Internet. I could ship them to Miami, to a friendīs address so he would ship them to Spain in a container with more parts he buys in U.S.

So far I have only found this ad on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-CA...39fb7f&vxp=mtr

Two pics of Rex in one of the last classic car meetings we attended december 1st. :

sube
    77CDV likes this.

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

Hello CADforce

I enjoy reading the story about your Caddy.

About your fenders, I would have to disagree with you bodyman for several reasons. To find a replacement fender is probably next to impossible, and if you find one they're not going to be cheap. GM cars of all type were notorious for rotting in the front corners. The rust may not be from salt, but from mud, leaves, pineneedles etc. They would plug up the drain holes and the fender would rot from the inside.

I would have your bodyman cut out the rusted and weld in a new piece. If he doesn't want to do it, find someone that will. If it is properly undercoated, there is no reason why that won't last. It will be the easiest and cheapest fix, and it may be your only fix. After you have it fixed you can look for new fenders and be selective.

Tom C.
    77CDV, csbuckn and CADforce69 like this.

cadillacbart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 DeVille Convertible (current project)
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox103
    Hello CADforce

About your fenders, I would have to disagree with you bodyman for several reasons. To find a replacement fender is probably next to impossible, and if you find one they're not going to be cheap. GM cars of all type were notorious for rotting in the front corners. The rust may not be from salt, but from mud, leaves, pineneedles etc. They would plug up the drain holes and the fender would rot from the inside.

I would have your bodyman cut out the rusted and weld in a new piece. If he doesn't want to do it, find someone that will. If it is properly undercoated, there is no reason why that won't last. It will be the easiest and cheapest fix, and it may be your only fix. After you have it fixed you can look for new fenders and be selective.

Tom C.
    I completely agree. In fact this was one of the "easier" areas of rust to repair in my 68. Really easy to create patch panels, though I think these may be available commercially now.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Yeah, a good repair done right can last just as long as, or even longer than, a replacement fender. If the original rusted then eventually a replacement will rust too.

Great pics of Rex. Always love seeing that beast. Also, that mustang in the last pic looks very similar to my wife's father's mustang that we recently restored.
    77CDV and CADforce69 like this.

Thank you for your comments, guys.

Iīm afraid the damage is too extended (very close to the wheel arch) to use the patch panels that are for sale (in this case from USA Parts Supply). Rust seems to cross all the lower part of the fender:

This is the patch panel:

The only alternative to buying a pair of fenders is that the shop makes custom patch panels (lower half fenders). Today I talked to another place in California that had a pair of good fenders for sale. The price is $ 495 for each one. It seems to be the standard price. I would have to add the shipping to Miami ($275) and from there to Spain (Maybe other $70). I will have to talk with the bodyman. Probably if he does all the work it will be more economical -As suggested by silverfox103-and Iīm afraid I will face the risk that itīs not a perfect solution. Your comments make me think that risk of rust reappearance can not be that bad, considering the car will be garaged all the time excluding short excursions and visits to the shop. It will by no means be a daily driver considering the gas prices here and the size of the vehicle for European standards. In addition, salt on the roads is very rare here in Madrid city.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
    Hello CADforce

Tom C.
    Thanks Tom. I would like it serves of any help and hope for those who face a long restoration like mine, and for sharing our adventure with those who enjoy it as I enjoyed so many similar stories which served me as an inspiration

----------

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post

Great pics of Rex. Always love seeing that beast. Also, that mustang in the last pic looks very similar to my wife's father's mustang that we recently restored.
    Thank you Matt. My girl always asks me if I donīt get tired of taking pics of Rex every day I take it for a walk That mustang was in a perfect condition in every aspect. As I learned, it took the owner years bringing the car to Spain due to some problem with paperwork. Congrats for your father-in-lawīs mustang. Itīs a beautiful car and very maneuvrable for European streets. That color is perfect for this model.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I see what you mean by the patch not working. The prices seem very high for a fender. I was just looking on car-part.com and they listed fenders that sound promising. Also check Cadillacsonly.

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

Hello CADforce

I am also active on the wagon site, as are quite a few other guys on this forum. We have a Wagon of the Month feature every month. About a year ago, we had a story that you may enjoy which is related to your body repair problems:

http://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t7639-de...n-of-the-month

Tom

smelvis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 deville convertible
    Hey CADforce,

Last winter I did the timing chain on Daisy. The shop manual said to remove the oil pan for this job to ensure the seal at front cover.

After opening it up and noticing the chain had been replaced and I wouldn't have to scoop up bits of plastic from the oil pan I did not want to pull the engine so I gambled that I could seal it up without removing oil pan.

If you follow the instructions to remove front cover minus the oil pan you can silicone that bottom seal. I let the silicone cure for several days before refilling oil and running engine. Hasn't leaked a drop.

The front cover is pretty simple. The biggest challenge is removing the harmonic balancer. I don't think you could get the puller on without removing the radiator. But removing the radiator and pulling front cover is a lot easier than pulling engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.