69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; That is quite the maze you navigate to tuck your baby in every night. Beautiful well kept garage and big ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread

That is quite the maze you navigate to tuck your baby in every night. Beautiful well kept garage and big parking space. I love the video, Rex is very menacing looking snaking through the garage. Very nice. Sorry to hear progress is slow, but moving in the right direction at least. I have still been unable to do anything to mine in spite of the fact I am feeling better.
    I agree that a Dremel or moto-tool would be the best for the fine fitting work involved. You can do an awful lot with them. 30,000 RPM makes them stronger than they look!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave
    That is quite the maze you navigate to tuck your baby in every night. Beautiful well kept garage and big parking space. I love the video, Rex is very menacing looking snaking through the garage. Very nice. Sorry to hear progress is slow, but moving in the right direction at least. I have still been unable to do anything to mine in spite of the fact I am feeling better.
    I agree that a Dremel or moto-tool would be the best for the fine fitting work involved. You can do an awful lot with them. 30,000 RPM makes them stronger than they look!
    I agree. A dremel (or similar) is a great tool. My dremel is older than me and is still going strong. Its been a very worthwhile investment. I've used it for everything from woodworking, to cutting, to polishing chrome and plastic, to grinding down rust. The only problem with mine was the plastic shaft between the motor and the output shaft disintegrated (after 18 years of use), but a lighter and some tubing (about $1 investment) and it was better than new.

I finally broke down and bought the 10.8v cordless. Best $80.00 I ever spent. Mine is out once or twice a week for the goofiest things.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave
    I finally broke down and bought the 10.8v cordless. Best $80.00 I ever spent. Mine is out once or twice a week for the goofiest things.
    I used mine tonight for cutting some wire nails that used to hold my new (to me) console together so I could reassemble the console after disassembling it to sand it.

CADforce69 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Thank you for your advice, Matt, Dave and Kevin, my friend has a radial saw with a small cut off wheel. Heīs confident this tool will be able to do the work; in fact I have seen amazed how easily it made two cuts on the front bumper support of my '73 Dodge to make some room for an oil cooler we installed on her. He says it would not even be necessary taking off the caddy bumper as the cut off wheel has a 2" diameter. Itīs a powerful but dangerous tool.

As for the parking, yes, Iīm fortunate to have in a European capital a parking space where I could even store a 75 series for a cheap price Lightning is quite good. Floor has still grey dust but that helps to hide the oil drips

Restorations goes like this: Sometimes very fast and sometimes slow but Iīm happy as what is left on the list does not prevent me from enjoying my caddy. Last Sunday we went to another classic car meeting. Last pics of the video are taken there When we had just finished lunch a thunderstorm broke out and I could check wipers are working ok now and Rex runs like a champ under strong wind while other cars were wobbling. It runs more and more powerful and smooth as it does more and more miles.

With the autumn breeze, you will push forward your project, Dave. Just wait and see
    77CDV, 77CDV, talismandave and 1 others like this.

JP76 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sedan de ville 1970

this story is really great !!
    thanx for helping me out with the picture for the generator today I fixed the problem
    in the netherlands we have also a forum called www.dutchcadillac.nl sorry it's all in dutch maybe it can be translated ? ( it's possible that I make mistakes in my writing but I'll do my best )

Dirtywaterdiver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

Wow, I thought I had trouble getting my '68 in my garage with a 6' wide door and 21' depth. (I've hit the wall twice)

That is like a puzzle.

I would not want try parking there after visiting "Taberna Tempranillo" it was hard enough walking back to the hotel : )

Quote Originally Posted by JP76 View Post
    this story is really great !!
    thanx for helping me out with the picture for the generator today I fixed the problem
    in the netherlands we have also a forum called www.dutchcadillac.nl sorry it's all in dutch maybe it can be translated ? ( it's possible that I make mistakes in my writing but I'll do my best )
    Iīm glad my service manualīs picture helped you and that you like my cadillac restoration story I still have some things to fix but I have to wait until my friend, the mechanic have some time to make the next repairs.

My navigator has an automatic translator so I have been able to check this web. Itīs very interesting and useful. You are lucky there is so many cadillac lovers in the Netherlands so you can help each other in your own country. Here in Spain I know a group of American cars fans I share our madness with

This forum is also a great help to get specific info and help.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtywaterdiver View Post
    Wow, I thought I had trouble getting my '68 in my garage with a 6' wide door and 21' depth. (I've hit the wall twice)

That is like a puzzle.

I would not want try parking there after visiting "Taberna Tempranillo" it was hard enough walking back to the hotel : )
    Thatīs a big parking space and a friendly parking for Madrid. Believe me

Were you in Madrid recently? El Tempranillo is in a very lively bar area. You can end up drunk without noticing ... But when I get out to to these places I donīt take the caddy. I wouldnīt even know where to park it. Madrid is not a big car-friendly city

After some months waiting for my friend, the mechanic, he had some time to work with Rex and finally he changed the torque converter. It leaked oil through the central hole (0,25 quarts every week), damaged by the old stiff dried seal. New seals were placed again and now there is no leak. We have detected another leak -just some drops- in the steering box by the input shaft; in fact the Inspection station guys had pointed it out. I have ordered to Rockauto a rebuilt one for $136.00 that will come by sea to save shipping cost.

Front coil springs -sagged by weight and +15 years of weathering- were also changed. This has changed the look of the car, dignified by the correct factory height of the front end. The rear end height can be varied thanks to the air adjustable shocks through a hidden valve in the lower rear fender. One of the new springs snores slightly but letīs wait it will seat in some months. If not, we will try a nylon cap. The best result is that the clamp between the exhaust manifold and center section does not hit the ground any more when passing a pothole. In these pics you can see the present look:

Old coil springs in the new ones box (Notice the difference in length) and new springs installed:

I had to get the front end aligned again, as parameters change, and itīs good to be sure everything keeps meeting specifications, but left wheel camber could not be adjusted as the eccentric nut was jammed. Next time I take the car to my friend, he will have to ease it using a blowtorch. The aligning shop guy -an American classics fan- called my attention on the worn strut rod bushings and the stabilizer bar bushings. I included these in the steering box order.

The Air conditioning compressor, which was making a pre-gripping noise was changed by a rebuilt one -too much time with a low gas charge-, receiver-drier bottle and expansion valve too. (these two parts very cheap and adviced to change with compressor). I thought there would be no more belt squeal but it seems the alternator one keeps making some noise from time to time. My friend says itīs not alternator fault but the belt itself, so I ordered two belts of different makes (little more than $4 each) and another one for air pump (who knows). When warm weather arrives, Iīll get the A/C system charged (maybe a cleaning treatment before). On these pics you can see the new compressor installed, new expansion valve and bottle, as well as the old compressor:

Cadillacboy and Cadillacboy like this.

Looks good to see Rex getting some needed attention. Nothing makes a car look fresh like sitting at the proper stance. The picture of the springs in the box is funny. You really don't realize how much different until you see that.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

When I was coming from the alignment shop, by the motorway I had a little incident with Rex. He had two knocks before but this time there was a bigger one. The engine lost strength until it shut off. Fortunately inertia on these 2,5 ton. cars is huge so he went on more than 1/2 mile until I saw a gas station where I could stop safely. As I could not start the engine, my friend came to help me and -after some tests- verified the condenser had failed (typical when knock is about -and using lead substitute-). I had with me the old points-condenser set that seemed to keep still more than half its life, and I could go on until my parking space though I had to adjust distributor advance. He adviced me to get a new distributor, as this had worn weights and some ground problems so I added one to my order for $73.

Itīs a strange breakdown as the points/condenser set had less than 4,000 miles. It was an AC-Delco set (In theory the best). The ones installed now on the car are the original Delco-Remy that never have caused any problem while these caused some ground problems at first until my friend got them working. I asked him if a HEI system could be better but his opinion is HEI may fail in less occasions but when it fails there is no other solution than towing the car. Points system is more simple and you only have to take with you a spare points-condenser set to fix an eventual breakdown. I have bought an original Delco-Remy set from Ebay

Here (on worse quality pics) at the alignment shop entry:

Little by little we go ahead, but these cars always have "to-dos" on the list: To the above mentioned, I have to add Exterior original mirror, lower fenders repair and take out those truck taillights on the rear bumper

----------

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Looks good to see Rex getting some needed attention. Nothing makes a car look fresh like sitting at the proper stance. The picture of the springs in the box is funny. You really don't realize how much different until you see that.
    I did know the car was too low comparing with other 69-70 caddies on Internet... And I also felt it with every bump in the underside of the car

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

HEI is way easier to keep up. Just keep an extra coil with you and you're set. You had me worried when you said knocks and loss of power. Glad it was ignition related.

1969VertDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Coming along nicely! Im keeping track here as Im prepping to restore my 69 as well

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    HEI is way easier to keep up. Just keep an extra coil with you and you're set. You had me worried when you said knocks and loss of power. Glad it was ignition related.
    Thatīs interesting. Iīll give points one more chance but if I have more trouble maybe Iīll opt for HEI

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 1969VertDeville View Post
    Coming along nicely! Im keeping track here as Im prepping to restore my 69 as well
    Welcome to this thread Here you have a sample of most of the possible issues a 69 may have (Though not the worst). Keep up the good work with your ragtop

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

man I'm so jealous of this car! Every time I see it it makes me want to finish up my 69!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.