69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Glad to hear of Rex's clean bill of motoring health....
    Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread

Glad to hear of Rex's clean bill of motoring health.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Oddly, prior to 1969 I believe, the VIN was on a plate on the driver's door. There is one other place on the car to find the VIN: the front frame horn on the passenger side. For your purpose, though, I'd just have the VIN engraved on the cowl tag that you posted earlier.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    There is one other place on the car to find the VIN: the front frame horn on the passenger side. For your purpose, though, I'd just have the VIN engraved on the cowl tag that you posted earlier.
    Thatīs a good info; I didnīt know that, as the FSM donīt mention it but that place must be difficult to check. I also think that the best option will be engraving the VIN on the cowl tag. In fact, there was a moment when the inspector thought the VIN was there but I explained to him that he could find all the info about the car there except for the VIN.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Glad to hear of Rex's clean bill of motoring health.
    Thanks , after a year, I think Rex is fixed and running ok regarding all fundamental issues so he could go wherever I wanted to (as long as I have enough funds to pay the gas), but now I remember the Beatles song "With a little help of my friends" :LOL:

A new addition to finish the steering wheel detailing: A new chromed crest (the previous one had no chrome) and a wreath provided by sven914:

hosting images

I know my caddy is a deVille and was not fitted originally with this trim but it looks much classier so, IMO. You can compare with this previous pic:

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

wow that wheel came out nice! wanna do mine next? lol,

Thanx, man! Maybe I start a new business of wheel restoring

Iīm sure it wonīt be difficult for you restoring your wheel after reading my post... It just takes some time

Some update on the last improvements made on "Rex" Santa brought me a modern radio adapted to a long list of classic cars -among them, the '69 caddy- It arrived with some delay but once here, itīs worth the wait:

When itīs off, the screen is like an old radio dial; when itīs on, it shows the letters/numbers describing the station or song played... A CD Charger can be added (not planned by the moment), it has a USB and AUX input, so you can plug a Walkman, discman, MP3 or USB pen drive. Both inputs are located at the end of a wire that can be hidden. In this case, theyīve been attached to the temp. gauge. Everything needed -even a wiring diagram stuck on the radio- for the installation is included and the wires are perfectly labeled. Instructions are very easy to follow and a flash drive USB memory is included with some music recorded to test the player.

I took it to my friend the mechanic, who had to solve two problems: Front speakers (Rear ones were new, installed when the car was reupholstered) were literally disintegrating; the system should work with 4 speakers to avoid some circuit can be burned out, as thatīs the way the radio was designed. On the other hand, the new radio had a wire for the automatic antenna (supposed to go up or down when itīs turned on or off) but the original radio had a button to raise the antenna and another one to lower it, so this wire could not be adapted to the existing relay. I bought a pair of 3.5" speakers (original diameter) with more than enough power and he got a 2 position control lever for the antenna. Some additional struggle, as the new speaker is taller than the original one; no problem with the right one but the left speaker had not enough bottom space due to the air outlets, so it had to be moved 0.5" to the left-back. No problem as 80% of its surface matches with the original grid, so there are no practical consequences on the look or the sound.

These are the front speakers, very damaged by sun and dampness suffered by the car for a number of years in the open, and the original radio:

Itīs huge and weights a lot compared with the new one. An autosound technician checked it but he says it could not be repaired. It turned on but no sound could be heard after the initial crack. You couldnīt change AM to FM. Too bad as it should have been a good equipment when the car was made (Itīs a Delco/Wonderbar), with an amplifier included, stereo with a tunning light... But the new radio sounds awesome. Tunes very well; itīs wonderful hearing your favorite music you can take in a flash memory. I had prepared a recopilation of '60s songs.

... And thatīs the look once installed: You can see it with dial off and on:

The antenna control is at the right of the additional temp. gauge and the USB/AUX wire ends tied to the gauge, though they can be freed to get more length for plugging some bigger device. Iīve added 2 wood veneer discs on the buttons, same stuff than the one I used to renew the dash and the steering wheel insert, to give it a closer appearance than the original radio. Not exact but very similar. When itīs off very few could notice itīs not the original one

... And once the mechanic had to open the dash top (very easily unscrewing some screws, he fixed the high beam telltale light. He had to instal a new socket, taking feed from the switch on the floor as the circuit was broken at some point. Some burned out bulb behind the climate control panel was also changed.

After this was fixed, I took Rex to a good electrician some friend recommended me. Heīs about 60 years and repaired many American cars 30-40 years ago so heīs familiar with these climate controls. Finally he made the blower work at all speeds; the relay I bought on Ebay supposedly for this car was not appropriate for this system so he adapted a modern relay and ĄIt works!. In addition he fixed and cleaned 2 vacuum valves as warm air could not be delivered through the lower outlets. Now everything works.

But now the problem is A/C compressor pulley seizes from time to time making the belt to squeal even when the clutch wire unplugged. As the mechanic adviced me to buy a remanufactured one, I did so. Itīs on the way together with a expansion valve and an accumulator... And 2 front coil springs as he let me bring this stuff in a container he has hired leaving Miami in one month to save a good amount. Supposedly the new torque converter is coming in this container.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Looks like you're making very good progress!

That's awesome! Where did Santa get that radio?! I need one fo rmy 69 or I'll have to put in a modern radio.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Looks like you're making very good progress!
    Thanks. Iīm waiting for good weather to change patchy taillights in bumper for '70 moldings. Iīve got the moldings after cleaning, polishing and painting them and the back up lights ready to be used as turn signals:

Iīve made a bracket set to stick them to the interior of bumper as original '70 bumper had a fold where they were screwed down.

After that, I would like to fix lower front fenders and at the same time changing the front coil springs, that are sagging lowering front end.

A/C compressor, as soon as it arrives home and torque converter as soon as the mechanic is in the mood to do it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    That's awesome! Where did Santa get that radio?! I need one fo rmy 69 or I'll have to put in a modern radio.
    This is where Santa bought it http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-69-Cadi...item1c1ffb3137 This seller has 100% positive feedback.

There is also available a cheaper one with 200 W: http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-70-71-72-...sories&vxp=mtr but Santa sent a message to this seller to ask some questions but he never answered (What a lack of respect )

Though this radio is more expensive than many modern ones this adds a lot of value to the car IMO

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

If you ever have your dash taken apart again, re-route those wires for the AUX/USB to your glovebox. It'll be hidden when closed, and a lot more convenient. That's how I had mine set up in the wagon.

I dig that radio. Good to hear from you again.

Thank you my friend! I will be ordering one of those after I put on 4 new tires!

Hard to save money for a wedding and still have money to work on these cars! haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    If you ever have your dash taken apart again, re-route those wires for the AUX/USB to your glovebox. It'll be hidden when closed, and a lot more convenient. That's how I had mine set up in the wagon.

I dig that radio. Good to hear from you again.
    Thanx for the tip! Maybe it can be done without taking the dash apart. Iīll have a look at it.

Iīm really happy with the radio. Seller feedback was not wrong. It has even a selector for American or European frequencies on one side (European selected).

----------

Thank you my friend! I will be ordering one of those after I put on 4 new tires!
    Of course, safety first! :LOL:

Hard to save money for a wedding and still have money to work on these cars! haha.
    Now my income is not very good and Iīm using my savings to restore the caddy but itīs the project of my life... My legacy for generations to come
    outsider and outsider like this.

Iīve made no significative progress in the last months. Tried to attach '70 back-up lights to the hole behind the truck taillights on rear bumper but I discovered that it should be more square and 1" longer if I want to place moldings in the right place matching with the back-up lights -to be used as turn signals- but rear bumper is near 0.2" thick! Maybe a friend help me to do this armored steel cutting work as he has a radial saw.

On the other side, the torque converter, front coil springs, A/C compressor and A/C receiver drier and expansion valve have arrived from their long sea trip, but I still have to wait until my friend, the mechanic find one day to change all this.

But in the meantime, we have made a video of me parking the caddy: When I enter the parking, after going down the ramp I go to the end of a inside street at the left, and then I go backwards to my space: The usual procedure. I added some pics to avoid cutting the soundtrack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOXXsSBuKFo

What about using a grinder with a cut off wheel to cut through it? Or if that's too big maybe a smaller cut off wheel on like a dremmel or a die grinder.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.