69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Keep up the good work!...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread

Keep up the good work!

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Thanks!

For 2012 I have more projects: New front suspension coils, fix rotten low front fenders, new radio with external appearance close to original... And taking out definitely rear truck tail lights. They were added long ago just because European regulations made compulsory yellow turning lights in 1970. I have bought a set of '70 rear bumper moldings I have restored too, including back-up lights. Iīm planning transform these lights into turning lights, connecting the turning light wires and changing white bulb for an orange one, and this way the hole made to house those horrible truck tail lights will be covered. I have made a Photoshop image of the results I want:

Before:

upload images

... And after:

image hosting jpeg click on the pic for a larger image

I know they are not intended for a 69 but this way I will solve the yellow lights problem decently and I wonīt have to buy a new rear bumper... And after all, the center section of 69 bumper is the same than the 70 model... It could well be a solution Cadillac would have provided if required. The other option was using the 69 back-up lights as turning lights, changing the wire and the white bulb for an orange one... But the car would not have any back-up lights and I donīt think a Cadillac without this element is a correct solution. Moving a car of this size in reverse requires a strong white warning light.
    HartfordGuy and HartfordGuy like this.

I definitely like the after pic a whole lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    I definitely like the after pic a whole lot more.
    Thanx! Iīll post the real "after" pic but that will be for February at least, when weather begins to be better. The most critical point is that Iīll have to remove the rear bumper as there is no room behind to play with the wires and the bolts Iīll use to hold the moldings.

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Sounds like a good idea as opposed to replacing the rear bumper (which would be expensive...probably more so for you with international shipping!)

can't wait to see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    Sounds like a good idea as opposed to replacing the rear bumper (which would be expensive...probably more so for you with international shipping!)

can't wait to see the results.
    Thatīs the main reason. Iīm eager to do it as it will improve a lot the rear view of the car but first I have to solve oil leak and pass inspection... And another year to nearly finish restoration.

Oil pressure sender changed The plastic (or bakelite) part was cracked. Engine oil leak seems to be solved. In addition Starter drive was changed as in cold starts it slipped at first try, -used to work at second- so itīs better not taking the risk to be left stranded. The bad news is that transmission is still leaking. Finally it reached minimum mark, so I will have to change torque converter, that is damaged apparently by old seal. The mechanic told me he could order one using the transport from U.S. he uses for him and his friends so at least I will save a good amount on shipping. This Friday I will take Rex to his first yearly inspection since itīs mine. Wish me good luck

Unless the inspector is a complete philistine, I'm sure Rex will pass with flying colors.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Unless the inspector is a complete philistine, I'm sure Rex will pass with flying colors.
    Thanks, In fact I am trying to be sure that only the best inspector tests Rex . I donīt want any philistine inspecting my caddy

good luck with the inspection. I'm sure he'll do fine even with the strict inspections over there.

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    good luck with the inspection. I'm sure he'll do fine even with the strict inspections over there.
    Thanks, man,

there are some moments the wipers donīt work; Last time I moved a bit the wires and connections and it worked again. On the other hand, the previous owner made the official data sheet (original papers were missing) with 205/75r15 front tires and L78r15 (original bias ply tires more than 40 years old) rear. As the 205/75r15 were new I thought the most logical and economical option was substituting the dangerously old ply tires for another 205/75 pair, although equivalence with radial tires is 235/75r15, to have all tires with the same measure. If the inspector is strict at this point I can have troubles. Another critical point is CO emissions but in the end we can play with the mixture screws to get a lean mix if necessary.

Tomorrow I will tell you the results.

BTW, today I remembered to take a pic of my caddyīs body name plate, looking for the VIN plate to show tomorrow to inspector:

adult image hosting

Sorry for the poor quality due to bad light and bad phone camera, but you can appreciate the codes that shows what I supposed:

BODY STYLE: 69 68349 Hardtop Sedan Deville

TR: 344 Gold Delphine Cloth with Leather. (Here I have a doubt:I thought it was Dardanelle gold but according to automotive mileposts there was no Gold Dardanelle) No seat type so I think itīs the standard one.

BODY: No letters indicating assembly plant; just sequence number of the body: 37231

PAINT: 44 (Shalimar Gold Metallic) K (Black vinyl top). Now itīs something like Athenian blue metallic and vinyl disappeared, but I like the car this way; it seems more impressive to me .

Has anyone any more information about assembly plant and seat type?

All 1969 Cadillacs were assembled at the Clark St. plant in Detroit. Not until the mid-1970s did Cadillacs begin to be assembled in other plants, like Linden, NJ, and South Gate, CA.

Your VIN plate should be clearly visible through the windshield, on the driver's side of the car at the base of the windshield. Rex's VIN should start with 9 B, followed by the six digit build sequence number.

Trim 344 is the standard front bench seat with Gold Dardanelle cloth with Gold Antique leather bolsters (per the 1969 salesman's data book).

the vin plate on my 69 is badly rusted and I had a very hard time to read it. I had to get a small wire brush down in there and scrape some rust off, then blow it off with air before I could read. It didn't look like the usual vin tags you see today, it was just a little metal plate in the same spot the vin plate usually is. because of this, I didn't think it was the vin plate. For a long time I thought the vin plate was missing.

HOpe this helps

Thanks, 77CDV and outsider for your information . I had already found the VIN plate but, like outsiderīs car itīs difficult to read due to rust; itīs easier with a torch, crossing the light beam in different directions. It begins by B 9 and matches with the official data sheet.

Rex passed inspection, so we have another year to enjoy running free A friend told me that a friend of him worked at an inspection station, so he came with me and some issues were solved friendly. Wipers were working 1 hour before but just for inspection failed to work Playing with the wires, I discovered that when I pushed the wiper wire socket (not the pump) to the car exterior it worked, so I think I have located the intermittent failure. Another issue was VIN number. According to present Spanish regulations about vehicle identification, this number must be engraved on the car body; the plate did not convince him so I explained that the other place where they could check VIN was at the back of engine, behind intake manifold, but that did not serve either... For this time, he let it pass but next time I will have to engrave VIN on some part of the car body, maybe near body name plate. The owner of a '65 Polara, living in Spain too, told me that he had to rivet a plate on the inside of the driver door opening for a similar reason.

This friend, who is also a mechanic, knows another old mechanic. He worked for many years at a Renault workshop but the owner had always cadillacs and he was in charge of the maintenance and repair of the boss caddy. He said that he could take a look at the problem with the A/C heater blower speeds that donīt work, as the mechanic that has helped me with the caddy so far told me this is a difficult issue for him, as cadillac A/C & heating electrical is not his strongest point. Iīll call him next week.

To celebrate Rexīs first inspection pass I went with the caddy to pick up my girl when she came out of work and have a drink with her. Maybe next Sunday weīll go at a classic car meeting we have never went to before 20 miles from home.
    Stingroo and Stingroo like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.