69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Stingroo Awesome to hear of some more progress with this thread. I was wondering where you got ...
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: 69 Sedan de Ville official restoration thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Awesome to hear of some more progress with this thread. I was wondering where you got off to....
    Thanx, basically waiting for the mechanic to take the car and the wood restorer to do her job In the meanwhile, I looked for some more details for the car: 2 cigarette lighters (original ones missing) and spark wire separators

Talking with people in the classic car meetings, now I know of 2 good body shops specialized in classic cars that can repair the front fender bottoms and other rusting points of the car where the caddy would be welcome.

Well, I picked up my caddy after the mechanic changed tranny seals and gaskets. He saw the input shaft? (in Spanish we say "eje primario") was partially damaged by the old front seal, as the result of rubber hardening with time and, above all, long periods sat. Thatīs why leak could not be solved totally but now is far smaller than before, when I had to add 1 qt every 15 days. Iīll observe it in the next weeks. If leak grew bigger he says I should think of changing torque converter... Heīs done a lot of trannies but I donīt know much about them.

Carburetor was tuned again, timing corrected, as it was still too advanced, and a leak in the hose connecting distributor with carb fixed. Now engine runs much better There is a very slight trembling when accelerating at middle throttle but he says itīs due to carburetor; to correct this I should get a new one, but this does not worry me too much, as engine is ok and driving is great.

New wiper/washer motor installed but it fails due to the switch (At first it worked great but soon it stopped working), so now I have to look for a new one. Iīve located one on ebay.

The parking brake assy was changed. At least, manual release works now but automatic release can not do due to neutral safety reverse light switch is broken in two, so I have ordered one. Not easy to find as this part was made just for 69-72 caddies. The same for the back-up lights. The wire was cut; it was fixed so it would work if this switch was ok. I hope both problems are fixed with a new switch.

New blower relay was installed but the speeds of the climate control blower still donīt work except for the minimum speed. I think weīll have to check wiring diagram for this section but Iīll need help as automotive electricity is not one of my strong points.

As for the A/C compressor, Iīll have to get another one, as this may be seized up at any moment. Fortunately, cool weather is here to stay for 6 months at least. New upper and lower radiator hoses were also installed.

Iīll try to upload some pics when I have some time; today I was in a hurry. Slow progress but progress at least. I hope taking him the car again when I have these parts mentioned above + the restored steering wheel. Iīve filled the groove with paste and almost totally sanded it to equal the rim surface. Then, I will paint it and stick on the auto-adhesive wood veneer Iīve cut imitating original one.

New gas cap ordered... No more gas smell in the passenger compartment http://www.ebay.com/itm/330628534211...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Finished the steering wheel restoration. I started by drawing a pattern on the self-adhesive wood veneer vinyl, the same I used to restore instrument panel, using the rim of the wheel.

The vinyl is the same I used for the instrument panel restoration. Itīs about 2 mm. wider than original so I corrected it when I cut it.

Then, I started filling the groove where original insert were housed with the paste mentioned in the above posts to fill the rim cracks. I 30 minutes, itīs ready to sand. As it hardens in just 5 minutes you have to fill by sections of 10 cm. long as much, to mold it before itīs hard. Then, youīll do the final adaptation to the original shape by sanding the paste. This is the final results, ready to start painting:

hosting images

This is the famous paste:

This is after painting the wheel with a small can of glossy black paint. but 2 cans would not any harm:

The results are not perfect due to micro-cracks canīt be filled with this paste and can paint pressure is getting worse as paint level is getting low but is fairly good, much better than before.

We wait 24 hours to be sure paint is totally dry and then we stick the vinyl. I cut a small section of the protecting paper and fit the vinyl rim in the correct position. Then I took out paper progressively as I stick it slightly on the rim trying to keep it centered. I had no problem in unsticking the vinyl when necessary. At first I was afraid some paint remained stuck to vinyl but no problem. Finally, when I was finishing the process I found a wrinkle where I started the process. Thatīs due to finally the vinyl rim had a slightly bigger diameter than original and I was trying to keep it following the original position. No problem: I cut the vinyl in the wrinkle and stick one end on the other. You can not notice it unless you know. Finally, you can stick all the vinyl surface on the rim. These images are dedicated to outsider :

...And finally you will have a wheel like new. (You can compare with the first images). People will not realize itīs restored unless they look it very close. If you have a 70 caddy, you will have to look for a walnut veneer vinyl. I used this kind, as is practically the same than the one used for 69.

Now, I hope the horn buttons on the center pad work as they should... Anyone knows how they work, and how to make the connections?

jpg image hosting

CBodyFan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Excellent! Do you plan on clearcoating the wheel to keep the edges of the woodgrain from lifting?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

The plug with the spring goes into a receptor inside the wheel. When you mount the wheel to the steering column, insert the spring plug in its hole and twist clockwise IIRC to lock it in, then screw on the horn pad. The horns should work, assuming the horns themselves are good and the horn ring inside the steering wheel pad is intact. When I first got my 69, I didn't know about the rim blow feature, so I was pressing on the center pad and thinking the horns were dead. Once I figured out the missing horn ring was the culprit, I grabbed a 70 wheel (just like yours) out of a junkyard, swapped it on, and the horns worked perfectly. Unlike you, I just put a leather wrap over the very fractured 70 wheel, since it's only temporary until I have the 69 wheel professionally restored, rim blow and all. Your's came out looking really good!

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

that wheel came out amazing! I need to do this to my 87! where did you get the wood grain vinyl?!

Quote Originally Posted by CBodyFan View Post
    Excellent! Do you plan on clearcoating the wheel to keep the edges of the woodgrain from lifting?
    My intention is leaving it as is. Vinyl expands and contracts noticeably with temperature changes, so clearcoat might crack. If vinyl got damaged (I hope it lasts at least 2 years) I would make another vinyl rim.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    The plug with the spring goes into a receptor inside the wheel. When you mount the wheel to the steering column, insert the spring plug in its hole and twist clockwise IIRC to lock it in, then screw on the horn pad. The horns should work, assuming the horns themselves are good and the horn ring inside the steering wheel pad is intact. When I first got my 69, I didn't know about the rim blow feature, so I was pressing on the center pad and thinking the horns were dead. Once I figured out the missing horn ring was the culprit, I grabbed a 70 wheel (just like yours) out of a junkyard, swapped it on, and the horns worked perfectly. Unlike you, I just put a leather wrap over the very fractured 70 wheel, since it's only temporary until I have the 69 wheel professionally restored, rim blow and all. Your's came out looking really good!
    Thanks I hope itīs easy connecting original wheel wiring to the horn wiring, jumping the adaptation someone made to the underdash button. I hope you get your original wheel restored exactly as it was when new and tell us your experience

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    that wheel came out amazing! I need to do this to my 87! where did you get the wood grain vinyl?!
    Thanx. I bought it in a supermarket. Here, in Spain you cand find it also in a stationary store or do-it-yourself stores. Itīs often used here to line cupboard shelves.

Iīve just found this US website, where they sell high quality wood grain vinyl film: http://www.rvinyl.com/woodgrain.htm

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

awesome man, thanks!

Some update: During the last 2 weeks the caddy was parked on my "short" parking space near home (4,77 m. long -0,94 m. of the car out of its space- :LOL: ) there was a noticeable tranny oil leak in spite all seals and gaskets were changed, but I have checked oil level and was 0.4 inches above maximum so itīs not so strange oil excess is getting out. There is an oil puddle at the left of the filling tube. Iīll have to wait until level is under Max. mark and see if there is still some leak. Damage noticed by the mechanic was in the torque converter, the place where the seal is housed. Letīs hope there is practically no leak after oil excess disappears.

New gas cap is installed and in the last ride I didnīt notice any gas smell Engine keeps running smooth. Wiper motor bought from Rockauto stopped working. The wiper control is not responsible for the breakdown as itīs sending electric power, so I had to claim a new one under warranty. Neutral-reverse switch (to make back-up lights and automatic parking brake release work) and restored steering wheel are ready to install, as soon as new wiper motor is with me. I need these things working to pass annual Safety Inspection (ITV) for December, 10.

Good news: I found a big parking space for Rex in a storing company building just 8 miles from home for just 59 € / month. Itīs a bargain for that price in Madrid. Every time I went to my girlfriendīs mum country house to bring it I was spending 70 € in fuel (my daily driver + the caddy). The big advantage is that my caddy will be closer to me and Iīll be able to drive and look after it. The car seems small in that huge place :

image hosting jpg

jpeg image hosting

png image hosting

image hosting png

I was invited to a Classic car meeting that will take place next Sunday at a town 160 miles from home. Iīm planning to take Rex there. Iīm taking a ride this week and put it to the test before. It has been raining for the last weeks but now it seems the weather is clearing up.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The trans leak is likely from the dipstick tube seal.

That new parking spot is big enough for a workbench and toolbox!

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    The trans leak is likely from the dipstick tube seal.
    I think it should have been changed too but Iīll ask the mechanic. I forgot to say the puddle is on the engine, just behind the intake manifold... And more or less the same place on the floor too.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    That new parking spot is big enough for a workbench and toolbox!
    I wish I was allowed to do that! but the renting contract does not allow me to do any maintenance work in the car... Anyway, when I have to do some serious work I can always go back to the country house for some days.

... And finally the steering wheel was changed. My mechanic had to restore original wiring of the horn so that it could be played from the center of the wheel pad. Contacts were too rusted so it can not be played from the buttons. To fix that, the pad rubber should be torn off and most probably it could not be fitted back again, so he could sand the part under the center of the pad. Now it works when you push firmly crest rim... Better than before. Now, I donīt have to look away from the road when I want to play the horn, and the look is better too :

image host

free image hosting

image host
    Now, some additional cleaning and it will look like new

Defective wiper/washer motor was changed again and wiper control too. Now it seems to work ok except high speed, that is the same than med. but at some moment, it seemed not to receive current from control. Then it worked again. Weīll have to check wiring.

Neutral safety reverse light switch was changed for another working used one. Now, back-up lights work, as well as automatic parking brake release and... ĄSurprise! Now I can start the car just by using the key... No start button needed anymore. It was installed due to the broken neutral safety switch, that should be in a position different to "P", preventing starter to be turned on as it should be. Now the buttons and lever collection in the under-dash is gone; just the temperature gauge stays there.

Some pics of the "new" neutral safety switch and the wiper control:

and the engine compartment with the new wiper motor and blower relay:

Someday, Iīll go on cleaning and detailing this.

Recently I noticed an engine oil leak, a constant drip when engine is warm. It comes from the puddle behind the intake manifold. As the mechanic pointed out, it comes from the oil pressure sender. Heīll get a new one to replace it and letīs see if leak is over. Transmission oil leak seems to be less as level is getting closer to the max. (after the overfill).

When oil leak is solved the car will have to pass the yearly safety and environmental inspection (Letīs cross our fingers )

Forgot uploading pics of the new e-brake I got from the Phonix junkyard after a good wire brushing:

image hosting gif

image hosting jpeg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.