1969 Deville - Exhaust whistle sound - acceleration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1969 Deville - Exhaust whistle sound - acceleration in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Under heavier acceleration and when the engine is working harder to climb up a hill, I get a high-pitched whistle ...
    69Chateau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Deville Convertible

1969 Deville - Exhaust whistle sound - acceleration

Under heavier acceleration and when the engine is working harder to climb up a hill, I get a high-pitched whistle sound out the tailpipe. I can also recreate it by just revving the engine with the car in Park as well.

I'm suspecting muffler or resonator? Anyone experience this or confirm or deny my suspicions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jcolliga40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 86 fleetwood

Re: 1969 Deville - Exhaust whistle sound - acceleration

Dude that's your Turbo you didn't know. LOL

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Yeah turbo! the whistle goes WOO WOO

it sounds to me like something is restricting the exhaust just enough to cause the whistle sound.

I'm sure people pay good money for the turbo whistle sound, just not me.... And not on a '69 472!

If you think its some kind of restriction, could replacing the muffler and resonator be my best bet? Come to think of it, perhaps its a good opportunity to add a new exhaust system that's quiet during highway operation, but still provides an authoritative sound during acceleration to remind you (mainly others) there's a 472 under the hood!

Uh-oh! I'm starting to sound like the 1969 Cadillac ad campaign! "See your Cadillac dealer and experience a Command Performance Drive."

isotop14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 69 Coupe Deville, 71 Sedan Deville

I will go crazy!!!
    I have the same problem,,, on my 1969 Deville Coupe 472!!!

I have installed a new carburator, new water pump,,,
    I have removed the header riser, removed the exhaust system...

In my opinion it its a problem with the output valves in the cylinder heads (the valves dont open enough)
    because I have removed or renewed all other part outside the bigblock

Stefan from Berlin Germany

Exhaust valve leak... Never thought of that. I hope that's not what it is!!

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

If the exhaust is free flowing then it is probably a burned out/eroded valve. It could also not be seating completely from too much carbon deposits. Now that I think of it, I have seen valves stick after a car has sat for a long time. Those sticky valves will come out of it eventually. A little snake oil might help it along as much as I hate to admit it. I think those sticky valve potions are just kerosene anyway.

Fleetwood70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Fleetwood 60-Special, 03 DHS

Check to see if the baffle in the secondary side of carb is present. When I forgot to put mine back in the carb after rebuild, when revving it made whistling sound when secondaries were opening.

tqwrench is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe DeVille, 1984 Fleetwood Brougham

All kidding aside, there are exhaust whistlers for sale out there, we put one in a co-workers truck and it drove him nuts for a week before it finally fell out. Make sure you don't have any pranksters running around with mischief on their minds.

Aside from that, the baffle is a possibility on the carb. I had a 70 Fleetwood and remember that being there during a rebuild. It's primary purpose is improved tip in feel on heavy acceleration.

Other possibilites among restrictions are the double-wall exhaust pipes that were used at one point, I'm not sure which manufacturer came up with that bright idea, but the inner wall could deteriorate and start to collapse on itself. I think that's fairly rare. Another co-worker of mine had to work on a '70 that wouldn't make any power. He took it out and held it flat to the floor down the road till he heard a loud bang and the car took off like a demon. A family of rodents camped out in the muffler somehow. I don't think there was enough left to positively identify the species after that road test. It blew the muffler apart.

Also, if it's a 69, I believe they used A.I.R., at least in CA. Is something going on with the plumbing to the heads? Does it have an AIR pump?

Yes, it has a A.I.R pump...

Perhaps I'll start by going around the engine and do a dry compression test on each cylinder to see what happens. If I find one that's way off, I might hook up an air source and listen via stethescope to the tailpipe and see if I've uncovered something.

How does that process sound?

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

In good logic, if the problem comes from a valve leak, compression should be lower in the affected cylinder and you should be able to locate whistling sound there. If it was my car I would rather prefer it came from the carb baffle but if you didnīt touched your carb, itīs unlikely. Good luck!

Question: If its one particular exhaust valve leaking, wouldn't the "whistle" have a rhythmic pattern to it that would coincide with the compression and exhaust stroke within the affected cylinder? More of a fluttering whistle? The whistling I'm hearing is a constant whistling sound that has no discernible pattern to it.

Just thinking out loud here... (And hoping a valve leak as nothing to do with this!)

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

could it be your uh...forget what it's called. It's a butterfly type thing that is spring loaded where your passenger side exhaust manifold meets the exhaust pipe. It's purpose is to help the engine warm up faster and is supposed to be open when the engine warms. Maybe it's not opening all the way and that is causing the whistle?

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Good thinking, outsider. Itīs something to check; the problem is that you have to unscrew exhaust manifold and some of the bolts use to be stuck and tend to break when they are forced.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.