1969 Deville - Exhaust whistle sound - acceleration - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1969 Deville - Exhaust whistle sound - acceleration in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by 69Chateau Question: If its one particular exhaust valve leaking, wouldn't the "whistle" have a rhythmic pattern to ...
    CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Re: 1969 Deville - Exhaust whistle sound - acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chateau View Post
    Question: If its one particular exhaust valve leaking, wouldn't the "whistle" have a rhythmic pattern to it that would coincide with the compression and exhaust stroke within the affected cylinder? More of a fluttering whistle? The whistling I'm hearing is a constant whistling sound that has no discernible pattern to it.

Just thinking out loud here... (And hoping a valve leak as nothing to do with this!)

If it happens under heavier acceleration the engine is supposed to be revving at => 3.000 RPM I think at that engine speed fluttering would not be noticed.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Question: If its one particular exhaust valve leaking, wouldn't the "whistle" have a rhythmic pattern to it that would coincide with the compression and exhaust stroke within the affected cylinder? More of a fluttering whistle? The whistling I'm hearing is a constant whistling sound that has no discernible pattern to it.

Just thinking out loud here... (And hoping a valve leak as nothing to do with this!)
    That's an important detail. A bad valve would have a rythem to it. When I completely burnt a valve It was a loud tick that echoed down the exhaust pipe. That exhaust flapper is a good thing to check as was mentioned.

69Chateau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Deville Convertible

The 'Heat Riser Valve' I think is the name for that butterfly thing in the passenger side exhaust manifold. I'll look in the shop manual because I don't know if my car has one or how it works.

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

If it's a 69 then it should. My 69 shop manual says it's on all models.

I will check it out... If I don't have to take the exhaust manifold off to remove/inspect!

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to play around with the car tonight. Do a compression test, crawl underneath and look at this heat riser valve, beat on the muffler and resonator with a rubber mallet, etc... So I should have some updates tomorrow.

Nice. For the record, I didn't have to unbolt the exhaust manifold from the engine to get to my heat riser valve. It is a separate piece that bolts in between the manifold and the pipe. Mine is broken so I just pulled out the middle part and just put the casing back in place to bridge the gap between manifold and pipe.

tqwrench is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe DeVille, 1984 Fleetwood Brougham

That's the heat riser, later models were vacuum controlled, this one is operated much like a choke coil. That is a good one to check. It closes one side of the exhaust off and forces it through the intake to the other exhaust manifold. It heats the intake to keep fuel from condensing on the intake runners when the engine is cold.

isotop14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 69 Coupe Deville, 71 Sedan Deville

to outsider,
    that thing is called HEADER RISER...
    I have the same problem and I have removed the header riser flap totally... there is NO improvement

Checked compression last night. That's about all I got too.

Results: Cylinder #1 = 180 psi, #3 - 181 psi, #5 - 181, #7 - 178, #2 - 192, #4 - 179, #6 - 185, #8 - 181

So it doesn't appear to have any major leaking issues (phew!).... Now I think I need to go after exhaust items downstream from the block. Looking through the shop manual, it appears they call that butterfly in the passenger side exhaust the 'Manifold Heat Control Valve'. I'm going to start there and work my way back.

glad to hear the compression test came out good!

isotop14 was alluding to the valves not opening far enough. I suppose that could still be an issue totally independent of the compression test results. I'm assuming cam lobe wear would cause the valves to longer open as far? Are the rocker arms adjustable on these cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood70 View Post
    Check to see if the baffle in the secondary side of carb is present. When I forgot to put mine back in the carb after rebuild, when revving it made whistling sound when secondaries were opening.
    Was the whistling sound out the exhaust or near the carb?

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

My experience with my 68 Sedan De Ville was an exhaust pipe that was collapsing internally partially blocking the flow - car would idle ok but couldn't accelerate properly and made a wheezing and whistling sound. When we cut the pipes out, on of them was collapsed and it looked like the muffler was beginning to do the same.

Fleetwood70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Fleetwood 60-Special, 03 DHS

Was the whistling sound out the exhaust or near the carb?
    Oh, nevermind, It was definitely carb whistling. But, maybe the whistling sound could travel through engine and to the tailpipe? I don't know, lol. I didn't drive it, just revved it in park, didn't listen to exhaust sound at the time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.