'81 Coupe DeVille engine swap 305!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, '81 Coupe DeVille engine swap 305!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I just wanted to let you know that I still have the original drive shaft from the DeVille. Whenever ...
    oldlaclover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1981 Coupe DeVille D'Elegance

Re: '81 Coupe DeVille engine swap 305!!!

So I just wanted to let you know that I still have the original drive shaft from the DeVille. Whenever i have taken a look in comparison it looks a little bit shorter than it should be. If it's okay to use this i will by all means. I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the the driveline on the deville and not the fleetwood.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

They're really the same car, so it wouldn't have mattered either way.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

It does matter when you're mismatching parts. If you've kept the original transmission and its mounted in the same place it's a non issue like Jay said. If you've changed the transmission the driveshaft length needs to change by the same amount as the transmission length.

anybody know where i can get the wiring diagram for chevy's and the caddy? Trying to convert all this wiring over to the 305, and i'm keeping the carb from the chevy.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

What wires do you need to know about?

Pretty much the basic engine wiring: the starter, the lights, alternator etc. vacuum hoses and what not

The lights should still work. For the distributor, you will need to find the coil wire that was going to the 368 distributor and hook it up to the sbc dizzy. Use the same wires from the 368 starter and run them to the new starter, you may have to extend them a little. The alternator should plug right with no modification if I'm not mistaken.

So while looking at this engine it seems that I'm missing the environmental connection and that's where a few wires from the dizzy should be going. Is there a way to re-wire it (the dizzy ) into another harness?

The distributer just needs a 12v switched power wire going to it. Could be as simple as running a fused power wire to a kill switch, then to the dizzy.

I'm just gonna let you know I'm not the best with electrical stuff. But how would I go about making. A fuseable. Link wire?

What motor is in the car right now? The 368 has a power wire going to the dizzy and you can test it with a test light. With the ignition off, that wire should have no power. With the ignition on, that same wire should have power. If the wire test correctly, that will be the wire you hook into the dizzy in the IGN spot to give it power. The proper way to test the wire would include making sure it has twelve volts but you should be okay.

camarotim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Sedan De Ville

I just did an engine swap in an 83 de Ville and the power wire for the distributor was pink with a white single connector on it. It's a little heavier gauge (thicker) than the other wires running to the engine. If I remember correctly all of the older GM cars around this vintage used the pink color for the power wire to the distributor. Once you find the wire it plugs into the "bat" slot on the distributor cap.

It has the 305 in it. It came out of a 86 caprice. I have wires going to the starter and although. But I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to do with the dizzy. I looked at my wires coming from the left side bulkhead and I have a rouge tan wiRe that's alongside the other wires that run to the starter. Could that be the wire that goes to the dizzy?

That is a coil wire also. You can tap into that in a pinch but you should have a separate coil wire for the dizzy. Its thicker than most of the wires coming from the bulkhead, mine was pink also. I think you are thinking too hard about the coil wire, all you have to do is get constant 12 volts to the dizzy when the ignition is on. Some people will tap into the wiper motor power wire.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.