I ran out of gas in my 91 before I even bought it....I took it up to my mechanic to have him look at it. I never let my 92 get below 1/4 tank, so it didn't occur to me to look at the gas guage. The car lurched a couple of times on the way up to the mechanic (my city is on two levels...lower city and the heights) but I didn't think much of it. I mentioned it to the mechanic, and he didn't find anything.

On my way to take the car back to the seller, the frigging thing started lurching and I thought "oh no." It sputtered and died in the middle of the busiest street in the city...no power brakes or steering left....fortunately I managed to coast into a parking lot.

I called the seller "Your car just DIED on me, what the heck are you trying to pull?"

Imagine me feeling like a gigantic idiot when he looked at the dash and said "you ran out of gas."

The gas gauge is not to be trusted in that car...it stays full for way too long, then plummets to 3/4 in an instant, then the guage slows down as it gets emptier....give me an analogue gauge any day.