Changed all my interior bulbs to LEDs - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Changed all my interior bulbs to LEDs in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Actually, some auto parts stores are beginning to carry the replacement flashers that are LED compatible, since new vehicles have ...
    Warspite is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1962 coupe (selling), 1995 Seville SLS, 1966 Sedan DeVille

Re: Changed all my interior bulbs to LEDs

Actually, some auto parts stores are beginning to carry the replacement flashers that are LED compatible, since new vehicles have LEDs out of the factory. The prices for the bulbs, with better and brighter elements, have come down in the past few years, while the intensity of the elements have risen. I've done most of my Seville with them, my previous Infiniti, and soon my '62 Series 62 will have them.

Barrister_07101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB 'Blue Devil' , 95 FWB 'Black Beauty'

I tried the LEDs for the interior door map lights from AutoZone and Pep Boys ... not bright at all. This is probably because they are directional (meaning the light is focused straight up through the bulb as opposed to spreading out all around from the bulb). So once you put it in the door map location there is very little reflection down into the passenger compartment. I am sure the lights could be modified to work ... but a simple swap out of the bulbs did not work for me. I know there are other bulbs that have more than one element (click here) - but I doubt it would fit into the standard housing requiring modification.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by Barrister_07101 View Post
    I tried the LEDs for the interior door map lights from AutoZone and Pep Boys ... not bright at all. This is probably because they are directional (meaning the light is focused straight up through the bulb as opposed to spreading out all around from the bulb). So once you put it in the door map location there is very little reflection down into the passenger compartment. I am sure the lights could be modified to work ... but a simple swap out of the bulbs did not work for me. I know there are other bulbs that have more than one element (click here) - but I doubt it would fit into the standard housing requiring modification.
    The map lights I got look like bulbs. They're an LED encased in plastic. I dunno how they'll work since I haven't been able to install them yet. And you're right, I doubt the multi-LED bulbs will fit. Like I said, I had to modify (albeit very slightly) the courtesy lamp housings for the 9-LED bulbs.

The only drawback to the LED bulbs, as you point out, is that they are very directional. When you put them in housings designed for regular bulbs, the outcome isn't always great. In this case, however, the multi-LED bulbs in the courtesy lamps worked great. The cool thing about the bayonet-style LED bulbs in the door panels is that they are a 6-LED array that you can aim since the bayonet rolls within the fixture. You actually get more light where you want it versus the stock bulbs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.