81 Coupe DeVille Engine swap - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 81 Coupe DeVille Engine swap in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Have you thought about rebuilding the 368? That might be the ideal solution if you don't need to have this ...
    sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 81 Coupe DeVille Engine swap

Have you thought about rebuilding the 368? That might be the ideal solution if you don't need to have this done by next month.

Adrian12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    Have you thought about rebuilding the 368? That might be the ideal solution if you don't need to have this done by next month.
    for a cool and cheap daily driver a 368 v-8-6-4 rebuild would be a great solution.
    I'm in Austria and drive my 368 in summer as daily driver and now i've to rebuild but the car takes about 9 - 12 litres/100 km and thats cheap for a big cad.

parts are cheap and shipping within the 48s you need not to think about.. alls parts i need and the whole rebuild will be about 1000 euro (1300 USD) with all shipping and fees... so thats really cheap...

a cool daily driver engine, not very much power but torque is ok.
    take away the cooler and go with electrical fans this gives a little performance boost.

if you can get an other engine and need more power than it would be ok to swap.

adrian

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Here is where the Olds/Chevy mounts are. Further back from where the caddy mounts sit.

asaddman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 81 Coupe DeVille

sweet that will work thanks for the pic the frame mount looks exactly the same so just have to move it back

Ok everyone, I got my olds motor this weekend, found out that it was not the 350 it was a 307 but its a complete motor except carb, plus has an aluminum edelbrock intake so it might not have as much power but I am sure it will do what I need it to do. Besides the guy I got it from was willing to trade me straight across for my chevy 2 bolt main block, it was assembled but no heads, intake or any of the goodies. Plus after the guy found out that it was a 307 he gave me a chevy 350 4 bolt main, just need to assemble, so I basically got the olds for free, so thats what I am going with. Oh that 368 is HEAVY! I am sure that big ol sucker not in there will make it go better too, that olds motor has to be half the weight.

So this is still my problem, the motor mounts off my olds motor don't look anything like whats on the caddy, plus the engine perches off the block don't look like they will fit regardless, I will take a pic here in just a little bit and post it, my engine mounts on the frame look just like what csbuckn posted. So maybe someone has some that I can buy from ya that will work? I don't know, I was going to stop by the junkyard saturday after I got done, but my Bronco was loaded and I was afraid sticky fingers might find their way into my stuff.

Again I need some help, the auto parts store only sells the mounts for the frame not the perches from the block, thats what I need, and when I looked up the motor mounts for a cutlass it has the same frame mounts as my caddy, so I am just at a loss, if I have to I will go and walk around the junkyard and figure out something, but you all have been great so far with the info and I am sure someone here can help.

Also need to know if the caddy flywheel and torque converter will work on the olds or should I go with the flywheel that came with the olds motor and find a torque converter. I will also post a pic of the trans on here so all know whats bolting together.

On another note, the frame mounts!!! What a nightmare, that is a very stupid design, but I am going to take the control arm off and do it right other than once she is in, them bolts will be welded and I won't have that issue again. With the control arm, just need to take the lower one off, compress the spring and I should be good to go, not ball joints need separated right or anything else I might run into?

Thanks again everyone for all your help, and if you got some parts that I might need for this job let me know. Going to need a set of manifolds or headers for the olds ( that passenger side manifold is different for sure never seen that one)

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

olds 307 can barely push these old boats around...I'm looking to swap mine out for a 350 soon because I'm getting tired of having now power!

I have all the parts you need...flywheel, exhaust manifolds, crossover pipe, motor mounts, new fuel pump etc etc. Just pm me when you're ready.

Here are the motor mounts from the olds, the bracket is front and back.
    Attached Images

Here is the trans bottom.
    Attached Images

Bolt pattern of trans
    Attached Images

Looks like a TH400, you plan on putting that behind the 307? Here is a link with a lot of good info and pics of other people that did an Olds swap. The manifolds I have are the ones on page fifteen of the link but without the cap. Frame side motor mounts are cheap, I think around 8 bucks...but I think the mounts on there will work. Just take one off and see if it fits over the frame mounts. I'll get some pics of the motor mounts in a minute.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...estion-15.html

These are the motor mounts that bolted up to the frame mounts posted above. Also shows how the exhaust manifold crossover pipe goes.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

It looks to me like that Olds motor will drop right in and bolt right up to the frame mounts you have. I've never seen those engine mounts before but I have plenty of uses for them. Those will bolt onto any old Chevy frame mount.

I took the mount that I have off the olds and it wont fit over the frame mount, its too narrow, but the olds mount that has the 2 bolts that attach to the mount on the engine looks like it will bolt to the 2 bolts on the frame not sure until I take the old mounts off but there is 2 holes that look like they line up, if thats the case should be able to use them, other than I am missing one, lol its always something!

That crossover pipe is different! Does it make a difference with anything? Do you know if olds 350 headers will fit or other years of manifolds that do not have the crossover pipe? Really don't want to put that in personally, but if I have to I will. Looks like a nice engine there csbuckn, hopefully I will have mine detailed and painted in the next day or so, weather has been too cold to paint of power wash for that matter.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.