Wiring for amplifier, anyone know a good firewall opening? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Wiring for amplifier, anyone know a good firewall opening? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was gonna run 0 gauge under the car at one point, and some install places told me they do ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: Wiring for amplifier, anyone know a good firewall opening?

I was gonna run 0 gauge under the car at one point, and some install places told me they do it also but I was able to keep it inside and completely hidden. You're right, 4 gauge for power and ground and keep your RCAs on the other side of the power wire for less "signal noise". I know that 0 gauge was a pretty penny, wonder what that stuff is hittin for now-a-days.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    I was gonna run 0 gauge under the car at one point, and some install places told me they do it also but I was able to keep it inside and completely hidden. You're right, 4 gauge for power and ground and keep your RCAs on the other side of the power wire for less "signal noise". I know that 0 gauge was a pretty penny, wonder what that stuff is hittin for now-a-days.
    I got mine for like $3.25/foot for Sound Quest wire. I only got enough 0-gauge to do the "Big 3" (6 feet of black, 3 feet of red) for: ground to the frame, ground to the block and hot to the alternator. I got 15 feet each of black and red 4 gauge from Parts Express @ $1.95/foot to get to my power inverter in the middle of the car (for the Xbox). I also had to get a 0-gauge distribution block for the grounds and a 4-gauge block for the hot. And a 100-amp ANL fuse box for the power inverter. Lots of $$ for just wiring, but I know it's done right. My inverter is only 410 watts, but I left a lot of head room for audio system power in the future. I want speakers in all 6 doors and some subs. On the to-do list, right behind exhaust and rims...in time....

Caddylover86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Fleetwood Brougham

lol yeah 0 gauge is pretty hard to bend how you want it, also hard as hell to cut! yes you should run the rca and power wire on opposite sides, otherwise you can get interference from you alt. never ran cables under the car but i guess if you can find a nice place to tuck them then sure. but if you snag something you are in for a hell of a project of re wiring your system again. and as far as a power block???? are you talking about a capacitor? or like a kinetic battery or sumthing?

MudAnt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance

No, just a distribution block. Something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211FBXS...4.html?tp=3001

Also with the 0-gauge cable, should I be soldering the connectors after crimping them on?

I've never soldered anything and I've ran countless subs.

I've never soldered anything and I've ran countless subs.
    I got one of these for $20. Works awesome. Haven't actually hooked anything up yet, but the crimps look great!

Looks like a neat tool. I usually crimp as much as I can by hand then put it down on the ground and hammer the crimp to finish it off. That would be for the thick 0 gauge stuff. Turbo, how does that thing work?

Looks like a neat tool. I usually crimp as much as I can by hand then put it down on the ground and hammer the crimp to finish it off. That would be for the thick 0 gauge stuff. Turbo, how does that thing work?
    You put the terminal in it along with the wire and hit it with a hammer. I use a little sledge. A regular claw hammer doesn't have enough weight behind it to be effective.

I got all this wire (0 gauge and 4 gauge) for my "Big 3" upgrade and my inverter installation. I wanted to make sure I got the terminals crimped on right, but the bigger the wire the harder it is. I looked around eBay and the "real" crimpers are very expensive for such large wire. This thing works just as well. I've seen them as low as $17 on eBay.

Caddylover86 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Fleetwood Brougham

yeah it took me awhile to crimp that 0 gauge lol. but yeah ive never soldered anything either. i usually just crimp the hell outta the wires and wrap them tight with electrical tape, it does the trick for me.

Can I just use Vice Grips?

Quote Originally Posted by MudAnt View Post
    Can I just use Vice Grips?
    No - not on 0 gauge anyway. Unless you have big ass vise grips. A hammer on a concrete surface or a vise would work.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Yes, you would AND I would suggest metal insulation for the wires, ESPECIALLY since you have snow and salt (Salt eats more than steel and wire coating HATES temperature extremes) so it is better to just go through the car.

I ran my wires through the hole and down the side by the driver's side door, 0 gauge and all (For the rear batteries) and did not really have a problem. I DID however do this in a car with no rear seats, so the whole rear sear/trunk thing is alien to me.

I now have everything I need to install everything, except the little screws that attach the cables to the amp! I got it for less than half price from my friend who works at best buy, but it's open box and missing a few things

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot or a store like that. You can find those little screws easily, whether they are the kind you just screw into a matching hole for the terminal, holding the wires on as with spade connectors or the kind that tightens down with an hex key into an actual socket for the stripped wire ends, as with most distribution blocks.

Personally, I never found 0 AWG difficult to bend or cut and I've ran well over thirty feet of it in my Cadillac alone. Just get bigger pliers. That and I use a cross pein when I crimp wires, especially larger gauge like 0 AWG, same as csbuckn . I do not typically weld or solder the terminal on, but when I crimp two pieces of wire together, I take a piece of copper pipe just big enough to slide the wires together inside with a bit of room, full it with solder, heat it up and make a stronger permanent connection, then cover the whole thing in a few layers of heat-shrink.

Angelo Gargarello is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 86 cadillac fleetwood brougham

I know this may be an old post but if any one could tell me the best way to hide the wires on a 86 Fleetwood that would be great going to try to hide it under the carpet but was not sure if that is the best way to go with 10 Gauge wire also where would be the best place to ground it when installing in the trunk?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.