how to remove/replace heater core? 95" fleetwood
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, how to remove/replace heater core? 95" fleetwood in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need to replace the heater core in my 95" fleetwood. It started to leak , and i wanted to ...
    faxafoli is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 84 deville/95 fleetwood

how to remove/replace heater core? 95" fleetwood

I need to replace the heater core in my 95" fleetwood. It started to leak , and i wanted to ask u guys if u could give me directions how to replace it. The windows inside the car get very foggy when i turn the heat on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: how to remove/replace heater core? 95" fleetwood

Disconnect hoses at firewall. Remove passenger seat (trust me). Remove lower dash trim. Remove panel that covers heater core. 7.5mm nuts, I believe. The one at the firewall is really hard to get to. I use a flex adapter. Release spring clip on core. Pull out core. Replace new core, reverse all directions. Fill coolant. Jack up nose of car, bleed coolant with engine hot.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Changing the heater core in these cars were on of the eaziest I have done.. 90% of the work is done under the passanger side dash..take the cover from the under the dash.. under there you will see the heater box..there is a cover that covers the heater core.. the cover is angled on the right side and the left side is rectangle shape.. this is one plastic cover.. there 7 screws holding it on.. but the two at the top can't be seen.. I just went it with a driver and felt around and got them out... can't remember what was holding in the core, not much, few screws... under the hood you have to take off the two clamps on the heater hoses... and there is a drain hose that you have to take off ... I did not take off that drain hose first.. did not know it was there.the hose fell on the ground.. then when it was all toether instead of dripping a/c water outside on the ground it leaked inside on the carpet...Another thing I did not like... I went to autozone for the core.. to ship it in a smaller box they made the inlet and outlet tubes movable.. they have rubber seals that can be dammaged and leak when moving into place...if you get one like this a little lube before moving is not a bad idea..wd40, something wet and slippery...

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

this is a good thread! I've been wondering about that since I flushed my core and still not getting the heat i expected...

Jay, why remove passenger seat? just for ease of movement?

faxafoli is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 84 deville/95 fleetwood

Thanks alot guys, u are the best

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Yep, removing the seat makes it MUCH easier to work. Throw a towel over the exposed seat mounting bolts. They hurt like hell when they jab in the ribs.

beatz02 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94 FWB; '94 STS

Thanks for the directions, Jay and Menard.

I just got finished replacing my heater core and I have pictures for anyone who may still be skeptical about the simplicity of the job;

Disconnect hoses at firewall.

Remove lower dash trim.

Remove panel that covers heater core.

The one [screw] at the firewall is really hard to get to.

Release spring clip on core.

Replace new core

Enjoy heat, steam free windows, and dry carpet!

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

You sir, have convinced me. I'm going to tackle this on the wagon.

CadillacPimpinNOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

that looks to easy, i think even I might do mine at work this week if the dealership has one in stock...i flushed mine a few times around october when i expected it to get cold. the water flows out free and clear every time but im barely getting heat with the panel on 85-90 degrees and it doesnt last long, few minutes it goes back cold.

@ Stingroo, Do it! lol

@ Nola, I purchased mine (AC Delco #1560063) from Rock Auto for $178 plus shipping. I think the dealer charges more.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Wow, $178!! I see that the AC Delco one on rockauto is much more than the rest. Wonder why?

Well, $173.79. Couldn't remember the exact price during that first response.

But yeah, the AC Delco is much higher than the other aftermarket parts. I'd assume it's either because the supply is low, or they know people will pay big bucks for OEM parts, so why not jack-up the price. I still think it's cheaper than dealer.

It cost $153 on eBay, with free shipping. I couldn't find it on eBay at first because I kept searching "1560063" without the dash. Come to find out, you have to type "15-60063" in order for them to come up.

By the time I figured that out, I had already ordered from Rock Auto. Amazon's search engine brought it up without the dash, but it's $200 on Amazon.

Kinda salty I didn't get the $153 deal, but oh well, lesson learned.

Hopefully no one comes on next and says something like, "Hey everybody! They have the AC Delco's on such and such for $30." lol.. Then I'll have to shoot myself.

CadillacPimpinNOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

i work at a dealership bodyshop so i get a discount through any dealership and auto parts stores like pepboys, oriellys and napa...plus i get it tax free and dont have to pay right away so If available i may get it cheaper than $178

before i do that though i want to be 100% certain its that and not the blend door malfunctioning or something stupid

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Beatz02,

Thank you for the pictures. Looks like the seals for the pipes are the problem area since the rest seems to be allmetal. They will always find a way to screw things up!

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

I had a 95 RMW, the original heater core lasted 220K. I replaced it with a genuine, made in Mexico, NAPA heater core. It lasted 12K. Lesson learned, I will pay for quality.

I also pull out the seat and cover the bolts with cardboard. Makes the job alot more barable.

Tom C.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.