I went to the junkyard to get some switches...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, I went to the junkyard to get some switches... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; And I walked out with a complete set of wire wheels! Here's one of them after a little cleaning: The ...
    MudAnt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance

I went to the junkyard to get some switches...

And I walked out with a complete set of wire wheels!

Here's one of them after a little cleaning:

The people at the cashier passed them off as "Rally wheels". $12 each! What a steal!

Here's some shots of the car they came off, look how dirty they were before!

They aren't in perfect condition, however. There's some brown crap around the edges and on the center piece, which looks like rust, but can be cleaned off with an SOS pad. Underneath the chrome still looks great.
    From what I understand this is quite common with these wheels. Is there a relatively easy way to clean them up, aside from having them re-chromed? I was thinking of having the tires taken off (they're not very good anyway) and letting the wheel sit in a tub of CLR. It should just dissolve the rust without me having to spend a week scrubbing with an SOS pad.
    Any other ideas?

Also, there's a whole bunch of RWD broughams at my local junkyard. These wheels came off an '85, and there was a 90 with 2 wire wheels, but they were rusty. There was also an '83 and '87 brougham, as well as an '80 Fleetwood coupe, and a mid 70's Eldorado (didn't check the exact year).

I can post pics of them if anyone wants.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

Re: I went to the junkyard to get some switches...

Holy freakin' crap! NICE find!

fool2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville Concourse, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe

Agreed, very cool.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Go to your local pep boys/autozone or whatever they call it in Canada and get some "Eagle One Chrome and Wire cleaner". Its right by all the soap and waxes.

Just spray it on, but don't let it sit for more than a couple of minutes, and wash it off. Its amazing stuff, I don't even use a brush on my wheels and it works wonders(of course I clean them every week). I'm sure you'll have to get in there with a toothbrush and scrub away.

Also, very fine steel wool soaked in water will work wonders on the rust. I'd get a set of tires mounted and balanced on there before you do anything, make sure they aren't out of round. The spokes have a habit of coming loose or bending if the car sat in one spot for years on end, making the wheels impossible to balance. Then that would require a full restortation of the wheels, something best left to a professional and costs a lot of $$$$$.

EDIT: Just make sure that you only use that wheel cleaner on chrome plated wheels. It'll ruin a set of painted aluminum wheels on contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    I'd get a set of tires mounted and balanced on there before you do anything, make sure they aren't out of round. The spokes have a habit of coming loose or bending if the car sat in one spot for years on end, making the wheels impossible to balance. Then that would require a full restortation of the wheels, something best left to a professional and costs a lot of $$$$$.
    That's a good point. I'll have them test for balance when they remove the tires. If they turn out to be junk, anyone want to buy the center caps?

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

That's a sweet find! You lucky son of a !

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Your right! You stole 'em! Mount them on a free hub and spin them. Watch for wobble or distortion to ensure they are true. If they aren't and you don't want to pay to straighhten them, you can always sell them to someone who will for more than you paid for them. I had the address of this place that straightens wheels on my other computer.
    The things you lose when you change out a computer.

brougham_geezer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '66 SDV, '76 FWB, '80 Hearse, '71 Riviera & '75 Chevy RV

Couple things:

1. Great deal! As it was said, you stole 'em. They seem to be cleaning up well, too. Not much pitting! I bought my set for $60.00, and they came with 4 new tires mounted. I was pretty pleased, as I bet you are now!

2. If you're in Canada, they don't sell the Eagle 1 Wire wheel cleaner or anything comparable up here. Believe me, I looked into it and even wrote the company. It's because of the acidity of the product, and laws and regulations in this country. Apparently some people in Ontario buy it in the US and frequently bring it back here.

3. Why don't we have any pull-a-part yards here?! There aren't even any that will let you walk on the property, so it's impossible to know what they've got. And not only are all the old cars rusted so bad that the parts are unusable, they crush anything older than 1995 in these parts. Ugh!

3. I used an SOS pad on mine, and it worked awesome... except for the pitted parts where the chrome was gone, obviously. Also, on the parts I couldn't get to, where I had to use a toothbrush. The tub o' CLR is a good idea though...

4. PLEASE POST THE OTHER CADDY PICS! I wanna see them, especially the '80 FWB COUPE!

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

They may not be perfect, but seriously, for the price, they're comparatively as good as any other set. EPIC score, Lad. Next time grab me a tail-light lens and bezel and Sting will pay you for it.

jcolliga40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 86 fleetwood

Is there anyway you can grab a center cap off one of those wire wheels in the junk yard? I am in desperate need of only one. I have the same set you just picked up. And Congrats on the awesome steal LOL. I used naval jelly on the rusty spots and the parts on the spokes and worked wonders I just have to finish one.more.tire. Looks like you got yourself a field of dreams with all those caddies sitting there waiting to be picked.

Alright, here's all the pictures:

The '76 Eldorado:

'80 FWB Coupe:

'83 FWB:

'85 FWB:

'90 Brougham:

Notice it also has 2 wire wheels, but they aren't in as good shape. I can still get them if someone wants though. Also it only had one good center cap, and I took it (my set was missing one).

There was also an '87 Brougham, mostly complete, but extremely rusty. There was literally nothing left of the bottom half of the rear end, and the body only had about 30% of it's paint left. The rest was giant rust spots. Lots of good interior parts from that one though.

If anyone wants anything, I'll be going back next Saturday (most of them should still be there). I'd be glad to get any parts anyone wants, as I hate to see this stuff go to waste. I'll keep an eye out for a good taillight.

Also, I've emptied my PM box.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

Awesome!

brougham_geezer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '66 SDV, '76 FWB, '80 Hearse, '71 Riviera & '75 Chevy RV

My God, of *course* the '80 FWB coupe had to be a triple Colonial Yellow example with a beautiful looking standard steering wheel. A dream car of mine! Really appreciate you posting the pics, man. Congrats on the finds!

And are there any '71-'76 RWD full size GM's there? Especially Chevys/Pontiacs? Really having trouble finding factory rear sway bars here. I need two of them! Anything?

EDIT: 2 things:

1. The left brake drum on that '90 looks new.
    2. What the hell is that perfectly rectangular hole in the lower left rear quarter of that '80 FWB coupe? Looks like a place for a marker light that never existed on any '80 Caddy I've seen! Anybody??

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    It's funny how they all gave good rear fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham_geezer View Post
    And are there any '71-'76 RWD full size GM's there? Especially Chevys/Pontiacs? Really having trouble finding factory rear sway bars here. I need two of them! Anything?
    Not that I noticed, but you can use their website to check:

http://www.picknpull.com/check_inventory.aspx

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.