Restoring The Cadillac Crest and Shield
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Restoring The Cadillac Crest and Shield in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've notice a lot of people have faded crests; I have faded crests. And unfaded crests are too expensive and ...
    sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Lightbulb Restoring The Cadillac Crest and Shield

I've notice a lot of people have faded crests; I have faded crests. And unfaded crests are too expensive and can be hard to find. A few years ago I figured out how to rebuild Cadillac emblems, and since my trunk emblem has fallen off, I feel this might be the best opportunity to post this.

Before picture; hopefully you can see that there is a lot of red missing, and that it has turned somewhat pink.

The first step is to take a thin bladed screw driver or a razor blade and work the crest out of the emblem.

There might be some residual stuck to the emblem. You can leave it there, but you need to make sure that all of the tiles will match up when done.

To make the colors match when finished, you need to scrape the backing off of any tiles you are restoring. Not doing so will result in color mismatching.

I used acrylic modeling paint. Paint the back of the tiles with a few thick layers.

The end result. It's not perfect, but it looks 100 time better and it didn't cost $100. The pearls can be added in with white acrylic paint and the pitting (if so desired) can be masked with a dab of gold or silver paint, to match the finish.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: Restoring The Cadillac Crest and Shield

nice work! If I were to pry off the face of it, I'll probably break it, lol.
    Here's a pic, if you don't mind of a wheel crest I restored. I did all four and it's best to remove them off the hubcap. I tried to paint them while on and it's not very comfortable.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

good work guys...
    i know this thread is the 'anti-new-emblem' thread, but if anyone is interested I do offer discounts and these emblems are usually around $50 or less
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

wow nice work on both accounts!

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    nice work! If I were to pry off the face of it, I'll probably break it, lol.
    Here's a pic, if you don't mind of a wheel crest I restored. I did all four and it's best to remove them off the hubcap. I tried to paint them while on and it's not very comfortable.
    I touch up my caps every time I change sets. I never remove them for the hubcap because I afraid that the clips are going to break, or that I'm not going to get it back on securely enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    I touch up my caps every time I change sets. I never remove them for the hubcap because I afraid that the clips are going to break, or that I'm not going to get it back on securely enough.
    mine are not with clips! Mine are actually bolted on to the hubcap. Here's a back pic on one...
    don't mind the text on the pic. I used this pic on another topic regarding locks. You can see in the middle the 2 bolts for the center crest.

tiequinn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1973 Cadillac Sedan Deville

my hubcaps are faded and the crest on the trunk are faded too. I need that kind of job done on my 73 cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by tiequinn View Post
    my hubcaps are faded and the crest on the trunk are faded too. I need that kind of job done on my 73 cadillac
    if you have the time and patience, you can achieve the same results as we both did here. Just buy the enamel paint at a hobby store and thin brushes.

^Right. It just takes a light hand and an eye for detail and you can restore any Cadillac Crest.

YourMainParadox is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1974 Cadillac Hearse 472

one mine the clear front part is clouded and slightly shrunken on one side so what do you do with those?

^You can transplant the crest from a different emblem. I had to do that with my c-pillar crests; the emblems were completely gone, so i took some hard top emblems and transplanted the crest.

which ones are going to be the same size? mine is also on the V of the hood

One of these?

If that's the case, you need to find an emblem of the same type. In your particular case, I would suggest just replacing the emblem entirely because of the unlikely hood of finding another one of those emblems, where the crest is good but the metal is trashed. Also, I've never rebuilt a V'ed emblem and don't know how the crest would come out and go back in.

yep thats it

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    I've notice a lot of people have faded crests; I have faded crests. And unfaded crests are too expensive and can be hard to find. A few years ago I figured out how to rebuild Cadillac emblems, and since my trunk emblem has fallen off, I feel this might be the best opportunity to post this.

Before picture; hopefully you can see that there is a lot of red missing, and that it has turned somewhat pink.

The first step is to take a thin bladed screw driver or a razor blade and work the crest out of the emblem.

There might be some residual stuck to the emblem. You can leave it there, but you need to make sure that all of the tiles will match up when done.

To make the colors match when finished, you need to scrape the backing off of any tiles you are restoring. Not doing so will result in color mismatching.

I used acrylic modeling paint. Paint the back of the tiles with a few thick layers.

The end result. It's not perfect, but it looks 100 time better and it didn't cost $100. The pearls can be added in with white acrylic paint and the pitting (if so desired) can be masked with a dab of gold or silver paint, to match the finish.
    Great looking restoration on the emblems! You`re restore info and pics has inspired me to do all 4 of my '78 Deville hubcap emblems.I went to the hobby shop today and picked up all the acrylic enamel colors with some thin brushes too,and some enamel thinner to clean them.Only cost $16 total.Since my emblems don`t have a face to pry off---i`ll spray them with a shot of clearcoat after paint dries.----if all goes well.
    I hope i`ve got a steady hand tonight!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.