Restoring The Cadillac Crest and Shield - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Restoring The Cadillac Crest and Shield in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good luck with that....
    sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Restoring The Cadillac Crest and Shield

Good luck with that.

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    Good luck with that.
    Thanks dude----took me about 3 hours to do all 4 hubcap emblems.It`s really a time consuming job being so detailed in the narrower spaces,as you know.I removed all the emblems from the hubcaps so i could get in close.They look 100% better than they did! They all were really faded from 33 years of element deterioration.I still have to give all 4 a final coating of spray on clear coat.The clear coat will hopefully give them a protective coating.
    I`m glad i caught your post before shelling out $$$`s for replacement emblems.I found very little on e-bay and the rare ones available looked to be as faded as the ones i had.
    Wow--you`re only 22.Good to see a younger generation member here who appreciates Cadillac`s!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

sven, how did you reattach your trunk emblem? mine fell off (still have it.) the bolts sheared off mostly flush with the emblem, but I dont know what I could use to make the lock cover stick to the trunks painted surface. any suggestions?

My trunk emblem broke off in my hand...

I had to drill out the rivet heads from the emblem base. Then I used a center punch and lightly (it doesn't take a lot force) tapped out the rivets from the trunk lid, and drilled the holes round. I reattached it using two #10 1-1/2 inch stainless steel screws.

The 10's were the only thing that would thread into the rivet holes, but I had to file the heads down to make them flush with the hole, so the face of the emblem can close. It took me about an hour, with a new file, to cut both screw heads down to size (and most of that time was spent watching a bad episode of CSI). Basically when you look at screws, the head needs to be the size of a #8, but the shank needs to be the width of a 10. Also, because it's going to be outside, they need to stainless screws.

dream67caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): .....83 DeVille - cruiser.....67 DeVille - project.....

good job

My trunk emblem broke off in my hand...

I had to drill out the rivet heads from the emblem base. Then I used a center punch and lightly (it doesn't take a lot force) tapped out the rivets from the trunk lid, and drilled the holes round. I reattached it using two #10 1-1/2 inch stainless steel screws.

The 10's were the only thing that would thread into the rivet holes, but I had to file the heads down to make them flush with the hole, so the face of the emblem can close. It took me about an hour, with a new file, to cut both screw heads down to size (and most of that time was spent watching a bad episode of CSI). Basically when you look at screws, the head needs to be the size of a #8, but the shank needs to be the width of a 10. Also, because it's going to be outside, they need to stainless screws.
    Great job---you`re a do it youselfer.I like fixing things my self too.

I got the clearcoat on my 4 hubcap emblems today and they look unfrickenbelievably AWESOME! The clearcoat made them all look brand new with the added gloss.I`m going to put about 4 coats of clear on them so all the paint i handpainted on has a thich coat of protection from the elements.

Good. I'm glad it worked out for you. I've never done a clear coat, because I swap the hubcaps every few months, but I might spray the emblems down to to give that gloss (I like that idea).

Good. I'm glad it worked out for you. I've never done a clear coat, because I swap the hubcaps every few months, but I might spray the emblems down to to give that gloss (I like that idea).
    Thanks dude! You`d be amazed at how much shinier/glossier the emblems are with the clearcoat------i swear dude,they look brand fricken new.
    If you ever put clear on---allow at least an hour drying time in between coats----if 70 degrees or above.
    I`m down with finding your restore info instead of replacing the emblems.All 4 done for only $16 and i have plenty of paint left over for more emblems.

greencadillacmatt is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Pompste, got any pictures of your restored emblems? That sounds pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    Pompste, got any pictures of your restored emblems? That sounds pretty cool!
    I wish i could post some pics,Matt.I don`t even own a digital camera yet.I`m still old school with a 35mm camera,so i`ll describe.The 4 emblems i restored looked to be original from 1978,as are the wire hubcaps they were attached to.The emblems were totally faded,and i mean totally faded out.After repainting them and clearcoating---honestly the colors are so bright,brilliant,vivid and glossy now they really look brand new.I`ll be remounting them back on the wire hubcaps tomorrow and i won`t be putting them back on my '78 Deville till spring or summer since i don`t want the crappy salt they put down in Michigan here to mess my wires and emblems up.
    I`ve got some rare original Fleetwood hubcaps from the same era,that i keep on my Deville for the winter.
    If my memory serves correct--are you from Kalamazoo/Otsego?

greencadillacmatt is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Otsego, my whole life!

Got another one for you guys...

I went looking for a lock emblem for one of the members here, and could only find two broken ones across two yards.

As you can see these are the older style lock emblem with the mounting studs on the back. The one emblem had a good lock cover, but the studs were snapped off. I found a '72 de Ville with a good base, but the lock cover was gone.

The lock cover is held on with a spring, which can be unwound with a pair of tweezers. You have to be careful with the spring, because they can be brittle.

To get the spring and the lock cover back on, you need to have the cover in the closed position. The spring has a flat edge, which is the bottom, that get wedged into the top corner of shield wing. The spring then has to be turned down two times, and the straight crossbar needs to be wedged in-between the two posts on the back of the lock cover.

As always, apply paint to make the emblem come back to life. This emblem doesn't have the plastic top cover that the later emblems have, so you should put some clear coat on it to protect the paint.

I don't know why the cover is crooked... It was like that on the original base, and I don't see anyway to make it straight.

How did the clearcoat work out dude?
    My 4 hubcap emblems did`nt have the plastic top covers either so i gave mine 4 coats of spray-on clearcoat after handpainting them--as i`ve mentioned before.
    I mounted the emblems back on the wire hubcaps yesterday and they look fricken sweet now with the new shiny,newly colored emblems!

I figure your do it yourself emblem painting info saved me at least $80 since i did`nt have to buy replacement emblems.

Rock on dude!

^I didn't have clear coat, so I haven't tried it yet.

^I didn't have clear coat, so I haven't tried it yet.
    If/when you ever use clearcoat---use the spray can clearcoat,----"not" the touch-up paint clearcoat.I tried touching up a small spot i missed and the touch up clear leaves a slightly cloudy appearance.
    The spray on clear i used is: DUPLI-COLOR----5 oz for $4.49 from Autozone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.