1995 Fleetwood Brougham Won't Start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1995 Fleetwood Brougham Won't Start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Sorry if this is a repeat post, but I have looked everywhere and haven't seen the exact same circumstances, so ...
    bjlindsey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham Limousine

1995 Fleetwood Brougham Won't Start

Sorry if this is a repeat post, but I have looked everywhere and haven't seen the exact same circumstances, so here goes.

Bought the car last February, drove it home, no problems. I believe car had been sitting for some time. Car sat in driveway for awhile, battery died. Replaced battery. Drove car for about 10 miles to test out A/C and when I returned home, I left car sitting in driveway idling for a few minutes. The car died while idling. I got the car restarted, albeit with some trouble. Next day, car would not start at all. Had it towed to mechanic, he replaced fuel pump, but not harness. I picked it up, drove it home. Tried to start car about 4 days later with no luck.

When turning key to on, fuel pump runs, fuel pressure rises to 10-12 psi, and then relay kicks off and pressure drops to 1-2 psi. repeating this over and over has same results. Went to buy a Fuel Pump Relay, but can't find it under the hood. (Help!) Car has approx. 1/3 tank of gas. Turns over briefly with starting fluid.

Relay? Pump? Harness? FPR? Anyone??

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Re: 1995 Fleetwood Brougham Won't Start

1/3 tank of gas...these cars are notorious for the fuel gauges being wrong. When I first got mine, I thought I had over a quarter tank left and I ran out of gas...

I'd start there unless you know for a fact (IE: you just poured it in) that the car has gas.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

The fuel pressure shouldn't drop that quickly, and it sounds low at 10-12 PSI. Without vacuum, I'd think it would be in the 15+ PSI range. I'd first make sure you actually have fuel in the tank. It wouldn't be the fuel pump relay if the pump is running when you turn the key on.

I finally got the car started, but it doesn't like to go much above idle unless you really feather it. That is in Park. I haven't tried to get it out on the road yet. With the car idling, fuel pressure still reads about 2-4 psi. Maybe it is the gauge? But it still doesn't respond to the accelerator pedal properly. Thanks for the idea, guys...keep 'em coming!!! It's my limo, and I have clients wanting to use it!!!

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

The fuel pressure way too low. Pull the vacuum line off the FPR while idling, see if there is any gas in the line or dripping from the nipple. There should be none.

I'll try that!. Thanks!!

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

^ hehe...HUF said nipple...

that is all

Quote Originally Posted by bjlindsey View Post
    It's my limo, and I have clients wanting to use it!!!
    What sort of limo? I'm looking at a '96 6-door on Friday. I hope to come home with it.

The behavior is consistent with a fuel delivery problem so I'd say the gauge is probably right. You either have a bad regulator or a clog somewhere between the tank and the FPR (fuel filter maybe?).

6 Door (middle 2 Hidden) Funeral Coach with flip over middle seat. 32,000 miles.

Pulled the vacuum line off the FPR, no gas in the hose or dripping out of the, er, uh, nipple

Gonna replace the fuel filter next. If that doesn't work, I guess my mechanic can pull the tank again!!

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

You are supposed to have about 40psi on the LT1 engines. You sure that mechanic replaced the fuel pump?

Yeah, he's a friend of mine. I guess the pump could have been a bad one. Not a Delco...off brand from Checker

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    You are supposed to have about 40psi on the LT1 engines. You sure that mechanic replaced the fuel pump?
    Yeah, I don't know where I came up with 16+. Brain fart. My Buick would idle at around 38 PSI vacuum off, and pick up 4 PSI when you took the vacuum off.

Quote Originally Posted by djlindsey
    6 Door (middle 2 Hidden) Funeral Coach with flip over middle seat. 32,000 miles.
    Sounds nice. The '96 I'm looking at on Friday is the same deal. The flip middle seat is very tough to come by. It's black on black leather, which was also a challenge to find. Dude wants too much money for it, but don't they all? I'm hope to settle on something reasonable.

Good luck with yours. You definitely have a fuel delivery problem. It's between the tank and the FPR.

Is it possible that the FPR is stuck open?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    If your pressure is at 12 and its supposed to be at 40, I would address that. Maybe the wrong pump is in there.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Perhaps he put in a TBI pump, because that would be correct pressure for a TBI car. Also, ask him if he replaced the in-tank harness. A new pump comes with it, and the old one is very susceptible to oxidation/wear/arcing/brittleness.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.