Cadillac Owners Forum banner
182K views 574 replies 47 participants last post by  greencadillacmatt 
#1 ·
It's finally happening. I started my engine swap today. My Olds 350 is just about done, so I figured it was about time I got cracking on the car itself.

I think I am going to pull the trans along with the engine, as I have heard it is much easier than trying to hook everything up in the car.

I have everything disconnected from the engine except for the mounts and exhaust. And I climbed under the car and found that there is just one electrical connector to the trans, and one crossmember bolt. Well, that and the shift linkage. Should be easy.

I started with draining and pulling the radiator. The shroud and brackets came out super easy.

The electrical connectors and and wires are all unplugged/off, and the vacuum lines are off.

And my little brother and I took the hood off, just because it is so much nicer to NOT have it eating my head. ;)

Without any further ado, the pictures of the progress of a total engine-swapping newb.

One of the last pictures of the Horror-Time 4100 hooked up...

Where'd the hood go?

Oh, there it is :)

The MASSIVE hole where the radiator and fan shroud was.

My AC might have been slightly improperly vented. :shhh: ;)

And last but not least for tonight, it seems as though my car has decided to do wheelies. :lildevil:

I'll post more tomorrow. Thanks guys!

See less See more
#214 ·
So, does ANYBODY have a clue as to what I can do? Or is a custom driver-side mount in my near future. My friend's dad has an entire machine shop in his barn. Maybe I should have him come out and take a look.
Judging by the amount of money it looks like you spent on the engine.....go to the parts house and get yourself some olds mounts....if they dont work you can always take them back. from what I know the HT and the olds small block dont mix. The measurement in between mounts wont change unless the frame changes.

Also, I just helped a friend change motors in a 98 tahoe, a vortec 350 down to a good ole carbed 350. Everything measured out like it was supposed to, but when it came time to bolt it down, NO GO lol. there were metal tabs on the lower mounts that wouldnt let the older block drop in. So, to make a long story short....Get the olds mounts from the store and bolt everything to the motor, including the lower mounts and THEN bolt it to the frame. The rubber inserts in the mounts will give you the play you need to get everything to line up. Let me know how it goes.

#225 ·
^Oh, it'll be welded. This week I'll be positioning the engine and I'll see what I can do to have the mounts welded in. Fortunately I WAS right about the engine length, so the trans fits right where it needs to be. I'll put the bolts in for the trans mounts loosely, and then I can lift the engine and remove (through unbolting or otherwise...) the frame mounts. I can then put my new frame mounts in and have it all welded.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I haven't had the time to work on the car. I've been helping roof our garage, work has been CRAZY busy, and there have been huge storms in between all that.

On the upshot, I think I'll be scrapping what's left of the Brougham this week or next, and I just sold the rear bumper on ebay. Extra cash is a good thing to have.

I do have this pic to post. Since the engine is all cast-iron, it is heavier than the HT that it replaced. I think the front end sits just a little bit lower now and has a slight rake to it. I think it makes it look mean. :lildevil:

Thanks for all the help and for keeping me motivated on the project. You guys rule. :)

#234 ·
Sorry I have been such a ghost on this site lately. I've been really busy with work and setting up for college classes. I have this Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday off, so I will be making progress. My friend's dad (the welder) came over to look at my engine mount situation, and we think we have it figured out. I'll post more when progress is made. Thanks for all the support and help so far guys! Keep bumping this thread, it will keep me focused. ;)

#238 ·
I HAVE ACTUAL UPDATES!!!
I got to spend a good 4 hours out with the car today. :D

You might remember that my engine had a hard lean to one side. This was because the engine is too wide for the mounts. I got busy leveling my engine so I could make mount templates for my fabricator friend.

This engine hoist has been so useful. I hooked my AC bracket and gave the engine a yank.

Check it out! No more sideways!

I had some help with my car today...

I also put my trans mount and factory shims back in so the engine and trans would sit where they should. I was actually able to pump the jack under the car because the handle fit in the driveshaft tunnel. :cool2:

There is the trans mount and the shims all bolted back in.

I also hooked the gear-shift to the trans. It's so nice to have the handle do something again.

I got both of the templates in place just as it was getting dark. I just need to do some trimming to them and then remove the mounts. I didn't want to fiddle with the engine hoist in the dark so I'll take the mounts off tomorrow.

It's REALLY nice working on the car again. KEEP BUMPING THIS THREAD!!! It'll keep me focused. More updates tomorrow! :bouncy:

#243 ·
I'm just having the engine mounts widened and extended. I'm not removing the frame mounts. This way I don't have to remove the engine and I can still make the engine mounts fit the pads. My friend is going to cut off the bottom of the engine mounts and extend them down. Holes will then be drilled to fit the frame mounts. He is an AMAZING fabricator, and he says the extended mounts will be stronger than stock. :cool2:
(He isn't just some guy, either. He runs the shop program at a local high school, and he builds period-correct cannons on the side.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.