Cadillac Owners Forum banner
182K views 574 replies 47 participants last post by  greencadillacmatt 
#1 ·
It's finally happening. I started my engine swap today. My Olds 350 is just about done, so I figured it was about time I got cracking on the car itself.

I think I am going to pull the trans along with the engine, as I have heard it is much easier than trying to hook everything up in the car.

I have everything disconnected from the engine except for the mounts and exhaust. And I climbed under the car and found that there is just one electrical connector to the trans, and one crossmember bolt. Well, that and the shift linkage. Should be easy.

I started with draining and pulling the radiator. The shroud and brackets came out super easy.

The electrical connectors and and wires are all unplugged/off, and the vacuum lines are off.

And my little brother and I took the hood off, just because it is so much nicer to NOT have it eating my head. ;)

Without any further ado, the pictures of the progress of a total engine-swapping newb.

One of the last pictures of the Horror-Time 4100 hooked up...

Where'd the hood go?

Oh, there it is :)

The MASSIVE hole where the radiator and fan shroud was.

My AC might have been slightly improperly vented. :shhh: ;)

And last but not least for tonight, it seems as though my car has decided to do wheelies. :lildevil:

I'll post more tomorrow. Thanks guys!

See less See more
#157 ·
#158 ·
Thanks for the pictures and help Outsider and CS! :worship:

And CS, those mounts look great. Will they bolt to these? They are the frame mounts for a 1984 Cadillac Diesel. They look like the engine ones go over them with a bolt that goes through. I'll head to advance if so tomorrow. :D

Frame-Mount:

Also, this is all I had before you guys chimed in about the AC brackets:

You may remember that I said my TV Cable Adapter wouldn't clear my EGR Socket/Block-Off Plate. I found another carb spacer at the local speed-shop the other day. I put on the two spacers and a new gasket, bolted the carb on top, and viola! The adapter now clears the EGR Plate! Woo! :highfive:

My double spacers with my adapter NOT hitting the EGR Plate:

Lastly for today (tonight?), I have been doing some painting. I broke out the rattle-can of Semi-Gloss Black before work today and went to town on my engine bay. The firewall didn't get painted because I ran out of paint, but all the rest of it got hosed down pretty well. :)

These old sheets and towels came in VERY handy:

Sorry about the glare, the sun was right behind me. For just a quick spray-job, I don't think it turned out too bad. It certainly looks better than the color of surface rust. ;)

#161 ·
What do orange hearses have to do with T-pain? I'm terrified.

I saw today while taking my sister to work an ORANGE '57 Nomad. It was pretty much sex on wheels, but we were traveling at like 65 in traffic through the city, so snapping a pic wasn't an option. I still pulled along side and gave him the biggest and longest thumbs up ever.

#162 ·
I get Thumbs-upped all the time by stupid tourists or stupid locals who think my car is cool. Wish I had a button that camouflaged it as a (cue the dramatic music) PRIUS...that would also be the best antitheft system ever. I prefer giving peoples Horns signs when I like their cars, as thumbs-ups are not my style, much like repenting on my knees. Better than the Horns Sign is the Klaxon Horn, as when you use that on the muscle car you like, the driver gives YOU a thumbs-up.

TO remain partly on-topic, Matt...You have earned a series of Horns Signs and AH-OOG-AH's...

As for the Orange Hearses...

Well, Jay Leno says there are two types of people, those who drive Hearses and those who can't afford to. In a way it is true, as it is a joke about the inbound expenses purchasing a hearse will compile. I have also heard Hearses described as

"Hellish bitch goddesses that are only truly happy when every ounce of your soul and money have been put forward for their own well being. If you get a hearse, KNOW that it will only be truly content once you have spent endless hours loving it, working on it, and spending every last dime you have to your name on it! No, do not even put a little cash aside to buy food to keep yourself nourished, because I swear the car will know! It will sense that you have not given it all that there is to your name, and it will develop ANOTHER major mechanical problem"

And after comments like this and the fact that rappers always drive around in fancy cars simply to show off that they can afford them (stretch H2 anyone?) that man with the robot voice decided he had to have a TRAFFIC-CONE ORANGE Hearse with a baby blue landau. I don't know if he ever named the car, but I'd have just called it Eye Rape.

#171 ·
Weird

Back on topic: Matt has no laptop. His AC adapter port thingy is dead. It's getting fixed soon. He sent me a text, and engine and transmission are going to be mated tomorrow. He promises pictures. I may have to be the avenue for posting said pics, but it will happen. :)

#174 ·
Oh, I can still post pictures (thanks though, Roo) but I have to use my Dad's laptop to do it. Which is inconvenient, because I LOVE my Vaio. Oh-well, at least I haven't been banished to the (gasp) desktop. That would suck.

And as stated above, there will be pictures of progress tomorrow. Engine and trans will become one (if all goes smoothly) and the Olds will get HT engine mounts (if all of the planets line up and the clouds part a certain way)((I just hope they fit)). Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

PS: Dullahan, the Precious Technology is in the kitchen, not booting up because of a bad DC jack. Hopefully it will be up and running again by the end of the week. Did I mention I MISS my Vaio? :(

#175 ·
No worries. After I conquer the world and enslave humanity, I will get you a new Vaio. Internet will no longer work, nor will cell phones or anything relying on electricity or satellites, but hey, it can make a nifty shield in a pinch when the marauders come knocking at your door.

...Yeah, I'm not right in the head.

#177 ·
Yeah, but a lot won't have ammunition and will be fighting barehanded. That and it makes a great distraction. Best way to take down an assaulting opponent with nearly ANY item, even something tiny and small like a cell phone is to throw it at their face. When they raise their hands to deflect it, hit them in their kidney and move around to their backside, preferably to the opposite side of the kidney you hit and hit them right where their ribs start. Two good jabs should have your opponent gasping for breath. One hit to the side of the head to daze them and one more to the jaw and they should be down, unless they are hopped up on LOTS of drugs.

Of course, have they a melee weapon, your first tactic should be to disarm them and if you are not experienced with fighting such an opponent, escape should be your number one priority. Of course, having a well stocked armory will aid in this scenario.

#179 ·
Who, in a post apocalyptic wasteland, wouldn't have a well stocked armory. I can't wait for 2011, so this game can finally be done with and I can start a new one. I just can't decide if I want it to end in a nuclear holocaust or an invasion of reanimated corpses.

#181 · (Edited)
^You guys are scaring me.

Alas, I have updates! First the engine ones and then we'll move on to the heavy-line.

First off, I stole the TBI return spring from the HT4100 and stuck it to the carb. I also painted and installed my valve-cover breather. That will hook to my air cleaner assembly once installed.

I also installed my PCV valve and my heater-core hose-pipe. Thanks for the adapter idea, CS. It worked perfectly!

My AC system is slowly going back together. I wouldn't have ANY idea if it weren't for you guys! :highfive: I also put in the little piece of hose that goes between the thermostat housing spigot and the water pump. No idea what that spigot does, but it is now connected nonetheless.

I forgot to take a picture of my starter (I need to go and buy another bolt, as it is currently held in with just one). In it's place is a picture of my fuel-block. This is how i'm going to get away with not running a regulator and using the stock electric fuel pump. (Evil laughter is so hard to transfer to a computer, but you guys get the idea, right?)

Now, the big thing I did today was separate the 200-4r from the HT4100. It went rather smashingly, if I do say so myself. Six bolts and a prybar later and it popped right off.

The torque-converter was a total bitch to remove. Two of the the three bolts started stripping, and it took me about an hour to fully remove the thing.

But, it finally came off once I got a better grip on the bolts. I was soooo happy to see it pop off of there.

The flywheel is removed with by undoing three star-pattern bolts. This came off so much easier than the stupid torque-converter. I'll be re-using the TC with my Olds' flexplate. I LOVE BOP applications.

Lastly for tonight, three engines means three times the power, right?

I also have a question. The HT's engine mounts won't fit the Olds (the ones that bolt to the engine). And the Olds engine mounts won't fit the HT/Diesel Olds' frame mounts. That's my last big hurdle. Does anybody have a picture of their frame mounts? I need to know what kind to find. Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.