1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt Takes a bow. (Now maybe they won't realize I'm just a kid from a small Michigan ...
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    Takes a bow. (Now maybe they won't realize I'm just a kid from a small Michigan town that has NO idea what he's doing. )
    I'm a kid from a town you've never heard of with a population of eleven (seven were my family) and I can say that you OBVIOUSLY have the right idea of what you're doing, as it's far more than I ever would know to do. Don't get all modest, you'd be on my list of Heroes if I ever looked up to anybody (not that I look DOWN at people, I just accept that I've got low expectations and I'm fully expected to lose.

A toast to Matt!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Here, here!

greencadillacmatt is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

Aw shucks, you guys are too much.

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be better, so I'll either continue degreasing or I'll start swapping accessories. It might be a week or so until I get the engine in (my uncle doesn't have any days off for a while), so I'll update this thread as much as possible with what I can do aside from actually dropping the engine in. I have plenty of things to swap over and paint, so I'll still be here. Thanks guys, your rock!

PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE! Not a whole lot of it mind you, but progress nonetheless. I started taking the accessories off of my 307 parts engine. I have gotten everything off the front of it that I'll need except for the thermostat housing. I'll finish painting and cleaning the engine goo off the parts tomorrow.

Accessories:

No Accessories:

The power steering pump is by far covered in the most engine goo. I don't know if it's the oil from the pump or from the engine. Judging by the THICK cake of sludge on the oil pan seal my money is on engine oil.

I'm also going back and forth on this. I have two AC compressors. The one is the stock one from the 307. The other is the stock one from my 350. The one from the 350 is HUUUUUGE. It's an old A6 model and I hear they cool like no other. The one from the 307 is much smaller, but looks to be in better shape than the A6. So I don't know. This is the A6 compressor. The other compressor is in the first pic on this post. Just more to think about, I guess.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Will the one from the 350 bolt up using the 307 assessories?

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Will the one from the 350 bolt up using the 307 assessories?
    That's my big concern, is that it won't line up with the rest of the 307's accessories. I might go with the one from the 307 for now, and fiddle with the A6 later on. I'm heading up to the college in a week or two, and my teacher has an AC class going this summer. I'll ask him what he thinks then.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

The A6s are a lot longer than the one on the parts motor. And IIRC, they usually mount on top of the engine forward of the carb. Do some measurements and see if everything will fit .

^Nope, this one sits off to the side. The small compressor on my HT4100 sits in the middle and in front of the throttle body. It looks like I'll be moving from a 3 V-Belt pully to a 2 V-Belt pully as well. And I didn't realize this before, but in this pic the belt is missing from the compressor. I wonder if there is a reason for that. Hmm...

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Kind of looks like my 307, except that you can still tell there is some actual metal yours.

Random Question Time!

how come EVERY 307 I ever see has an assortment of extra hoseclamps hanging between the waterpump and the water neck? Don't get me wrong, it's good to keep extras for when you need them (I have my extra zip-tie storage going on in the engine bay too) but they just seem to be in EVERY photo of one.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Go with the compressor that has been open to the air for the least amount of time.

Thanks for the tip Jay. I'll be using the compressor from the 307 then. It looks to be in better shape than the A6 anyway.

I did some cleaning and painting of parts today. I got the thermostat housing off of the 307 (which was EXTREMELY crusty) and cleaned it up with a wire wheel. I applied a little paint, and now it looks like this:

I did some comparing of my viscous fan clutches today. The one from the HT4100 is in great shape, but it won't bolt to the fan pulley. The bolt pattern is too big. The one from the Olds 307 will bolt right up, but is leaking. I tried to fit the fan from the HT to the clutch from the 307, and it bolted right on! So I just need to get a new clutch for the 307, and bolt my HT fan to it. That means I can use my car's origional fan shroud. YAY!

As you can see in the picture, the Olds clutch has slats instead of holes for the bolts, so it will bolt right on to pretty much anything.

Unfortunately this one is leaking, so a new one is in order.

Speaking of my fan, it got a new coat of paint tonight.

My 350 seems to have grown a snout...

I need to go to the junkyard tomorrow and get another crank pulley. This one his a slight bend to it, and the belts don't quite fit in it anymore. I could try and run it, but I'd rather not chew belts every time I run the car.

Hopefully I will finish de-gooing my AC bracketry tomorrow. I was covered head to toe in a lovely black engine sludge after wire-wheeling it for a while.
    This is what the work-station looked like:

And this is what my face looked like:

I'll try and update more tomorrow. Thanks for watching!

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Bah! And you call that covered!

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I guess it is too late to say that parts washers are really cheap at Harbor Freight...

Looking good!

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Its like seeing your favorite radio DJ for the first time. You look meaner than expected, like a UFC fighter.

75sled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe DeVille, 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

[Whining and stomping] I wish I could see all of the pics....waaaaa

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.