1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Houston, We Have Ignition (Components) I also put my DipStick back in today. I'd like to know how much oil ...
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

Houston, We Have Ignition (Components)

I also put my DipStick back in today. I'd like to know how much oil is in there.
    Where it goes into the block:

I had to work it around the exhaust.

I also test-fit the air cleaner assembly. It's from my '83 307 parts engine. (It needs re-painted and cleaned up, I know.)

This is the lid that I'm using. I have an artist friend who is going to re-letter it from FUEL INJECTION to FUEL INDUCTION. It came from my Brougham.

The end of my little test-fit. Dual Oldsmobiles, back to back!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    No, no. He's in Michigan, but DRIVING IT to Florida for the meet.
    I wish I was driving.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I think the dipstick goes in the little gap between the exhaust manifold and the block but I think the way you have it may be better, I put mine in the gap and it has started to rust from the heat. Just make sure you can pull it out and put it in with relative ease. Really diggin the clear dizzy cap, gotta get me one.

^I tried putting the dipstick in the little exhaust gap, but it wouldn't fit. Strange, because I think that's where it was from the factory. The dipstick slides in and out nicely. And I LOVE my clear distributor cap. It looks sooooo much better than the red one the distributor came with. I got it for Christmas.

Aron9000 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Man this swap is looking freaking sweet!!! Never seen a clear distributor cap either, pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    Jay, I'd love to swap in the rear from the Brougham, but it is non-posi, drum brakes, and I don't want to lose my 3.42 gears. I'll upgrade the rear when I find a posi/disk rear. My 7.5 rear end should hold up well enough if I don't beat it too badly.
    GM used that same rinky dink 7.5" rear end in the 4th gen fbody. LS1 V8 cars make 300rwhp stock, and you know most guys who have these aren't anywhere near stock. The rear ends in the fbody's tend to hold up better in automatic cars, with some guys running 400+rwhp on the stock rears. What tends to destroy them are high rpm clutch dumps and sticky drag slicks. They just can't take that real sudden shock.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

Hold up. Why do I not see proper headers?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Is there not a better passenger side manifold to use than that one with the crazy crossover?

Nice idea with the air cleaner. I want to letter mine up in the same style with the 6.0, and "Cadillac V8-6-4" at the bottom. How about HP rating instead of fuel induction? They used to do that back in the day. It would look factory...

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I like that 4 point engine stand.

GeneLaw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Coupe Deville, 1989 Brougham, 1984 Mercury Cougar,

Looking good! I was wandering where you purchased this engine?

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Look at the two engines. Like a reflection, testament to all your hard work.

Way to go, Man. Live and DRIVE the dream.

Aron - That makes me feel a LOT better about the rear in my car. I'm not going to worry about it for now unless I put a manual in there.

Sting - I don't have proper headers on there because I couldn't find ones that would definitely fit. I didn't want to order some and then have them not fit when trying to put the engine in.

Jay - I actually have the crossover part of that manifold plugged off. My friend's dad made me a block-off plate for it. It almost looks factory. I did some research (with the help of csbuckn) and it looks like all Olds 350 exhaust manifolds have the crossover. They plugged it from the factory if you ordered duals.

deville33 - I LOVE my four-point engine stand. It's an AC DELCO stand rated at 1000 lbs. I scored it on craigslist for like $40. My three-point stand for my parts engine is very wobbly in comparison. It's scary to move that thing.

GeneLaw1 - The engine itself was another craigslist find. I found it near Flint, MI. I think it was a town called Milan. I got it for less than $100, and it only had 54,000 miles on it. This is what it looked like before I got my hands on it:

Dullahan - Thanks for the kind words!

I set my valve lash to 25 ft-lbs that my manual called for. Then I put the valve covers on. Since my lifters aren't pumped up, will it make a difference in the torque on the valves once the lifters are pumped up when I go to fire it? Or is it good as it sits? Anybody that has built an engine please reply!!!

ScottConklin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 64 Coupe Deville 78 Eldorado 85 Seville 94 Fleetwood

Yup, every Olds motor from 260 to 455 had that stupid manifold.

I'm almost(but not quite) certain there is a long-tube header out there for the Olds 98/Buick whatever/Pontiac Bonne(the last of the big 2doors, like 79 or so) with the 307/350(and the rare 403). I know there was because I bought them way back when, but they may be hard to find now. Anyway, essentially the same car/bay/frame so no reason they shouldn't work.

I have to figure out this same swap for my 85 Seville using a 260. But I want to keep the injection and fuel management computer rather than carb it up and then have do something with all the dead readouts inside.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

Scott: that's what I was thinking. I was going to say look into some Olds 98/Buick Electra (I think?) headers. I forgot about the Bonneville. I bet you'd find them under Bonneville anyway, because a lot of people seem to like to turn those into donks, bleh.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    I set my valve lash to 25 ft-lbs that my manual called for. Then I put the valve covers on. Since my lifters aren't pumped up, will it make a difference in the torque on the valves once the lifters are pumped up when I go to fire it? Or is it good as it sits? Anybody that has built an engine please reply!!!

It is a common practice to allow your lifters to set in a container of engine oil for a couple hours, moving the container every now and then to allow the air escape and the oil fill the lifter. You can stand the lifter upright and push the plunger down to evacuate the air.
    If it is a new cam and lifter set, the Manufacturer usually sends literature on the proper proceedures, lubricants and break-in products to use for the lifters and cam to wear in properly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.