Cadillac Owners Forum banner
182K views 574 replies 47 participants last post by  greencadillacmatt 
#1 ·
It's finally happening. I started my engine swap today. My Olds 350 is just about done, so I figured it was about time I got cracking on the car itself.

I think I am going to pull the trans along with the engine, as I have heard it is much easier than trying to hook everything up in the car.

I have everything disconnected from the engine except for the mounts and exhaust. And I climbed under the car and found that there is just one electrical connector to the trans, and one crossmember bolt. Well, that and the shift linkage. Should be easy.

I started with draining and pulling the radiator. The shroud and brackets came out super easy.

The electrical connectors and and wires are all unplugged/off, and the vacuum lines are off.

And my little brother and I took the hood off, just because it is so much nicer to NOT have it eating my head. ;)

Without any further ado, the pictures of the progress of a total engine-swapping newb.

One of the last pictures of the Horror-Time 4100 hooked up...

Where'd the hood go?

Oh, there it is :)

The MASSIVE hole where the radiator and fan shroud was.

My AC might have been slightly improperly vented. :shhh: ;)

And last but not least for tonight, it seems as though my car has decided to do wheelies. :lildevil:

I'll post more tomorrow. Thanks guys!

See less See more
#87 ·
The bolts go through, nothing threads to the frame. You should be able to get a long enough wrench through the hole in the frame, you may also be able to get to one from under the control arm. Also, I dont know if the frame mounts are the same. The second pic shows the stock 307 mounts from a 90. Its two pieces. Dont know if its what you need though.

this is the best pic I could find of the mounts

#93 ·
Aw shucks, you guys are too much. :)

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be better, so I'll either continue degreasing or I'll start swapping accessories. It might be a week or so until I get the engine in (my uncle doesn't have any days off for a while), so I'll update this thread as much as possible with what I can do aside from actually dropping the engine in. I have plenty of things to swap over and paint, so I'll still be here. Thanks guys, your rock! :D

#94 ·
PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE! Not a whole lot of it mind you, but progress nonetheless. I started taking the accessories off of my 307 parts engine. I have gotten everything off the front of it that I'll need except for the thermostat housing. I'll finish painting and cleaning the engine goo off the parts tomorrow.

Accessories:

No Accessories:

The power steering pump is by far covered in the most engine goo. I don't know if it's the oil from the pump or from the engine. Judging by the THICK cake of sludge on the oil pan seal my money is on engine oil.

I'm also going back and forth on this. I have two AC compressors. The one is the stock one from the 307. The other is the stock one from my 350. The one from the 350 is HUUUUUGE. It's an old A6 model and I hear they cool like no other. The one from the 307 is much smaller, but looks to be in better shape than the A6. So I don't know. This is the A6 compressor. The other compressor is in the first pic on this post. Just more to think about, I guess. :hmm:

#96 ·
That's my big concern, is that it won't line up with the rest of the 307's accessories. I might go with the one from the 307 for now, and fiddle with the A6 later on. I'm heading up to the college in a week or two, and my teacher has an AC class going this summer. I'll ask him what he thinks then.

#98 ·
^Nope, this one sits off to the side. The small compressor on my HT4100 sits in the middle and in front of the throttle body. It looks like I'll be moving from a 3 V-Belt pully to a 2 V-Belt pully as well. And I didn't realize this before, but in this pic the belt is missing from the compressor. I wonder if there is a reason for that. Hmm...

#99 ·
Kind of looks like my 307, except that you can still tell there is some actual metal yours.

Random Question Time!

how come EVERY 307 I ever see has an assortment of extra hoseclamps hanging between the waterpump and the water neck? Don't get me wrong, it's good to keep extras for when you need them (I have my extra zip-tie storage going on in the engine bay too) but they just seem to be in EVERY photo of one.

#101 ·
Thanks for the tip Jay. I'll be using the compressor from the 307 then. It looks to be in better shape than the A6 anyway.

I did some cleaning and painting of parts today. I got the thermostat housing off of the 307 (which was EXTREMELY crusty) and cleaned it up with a wire wheel. I applied a little paint, and now it looks like this:

I did some comparing of my viscous fan clutches today. The one from the HT4100 is in great shape, but it won't bolt to the fan pulley. The bolt pattern is too big. The one from the Olds 307 will bolt right up, but is leaking. I tried to fit the fan from the HT to the clutch from the 307, and it bolted right on! So I just need to get a new clutch for the 307, and bolt my HT fan to it. That means I can use my car's origional fan shroud. YAY! :highfive:

As you can see in the picture, the Olds clutch has slats instead of holes for the bolts, so it will bolt right on to pretty much anything.

Unfortunately this one is leaking, so a new one is in order.

Speaking of my fan, it got a new coat of paint tonight.

My 350 seems to have grown a snout...

I need to go to the junkyard tomorrow and get another crank pulley. This one his a slight bend to it, and the belts don't quite fit in it anymore. I could try and run it, but I'd rather not chew belts every time I run the car.

Hopefully I will finish de-gooing my AC bracketry tomorrow. I was covered head to toe in a lovely black engine sludge after wire-wheeling it for a while.
This is what the work-station looked like:

And this is what my face looked like:

I'll try and update more tomorrow. Thanks for watching! :thumbsup:

#112 ·
I was just messing around, I know you're good people.
I know you're just messing around. 'Sal good. I was just trying to be funny. :bouncy:

I got my new viscous clutch today! :thumbsup: So I decided some parts installation was in order.

First the thermostat went in:

Then the gasket:

My coolio golden thermostat housing:

This new clutch looks sooooo much better than the other one:

Mmm... fresh fan paint:

And lastly, I stumbled across these on Craigslist. They were in the Cars and Trucks section, so I didn't expect to find them.

$125 for FIVE tires the EXACT size for my DeVille. I needed new ones before the trip anyways, as I think the ones on it now are origional and starting to dry-rot. I also found a lump on the sidewall, and that is never good. These have 100 miles or less on them, four match, and the other will be used as a full-size spare. They should clean up nicely. Dammit I love Craigslist! :highfive:

#120 ·
Matt, been following your progress some..looking good so far for you..I noticed that you are going to be using the afb carb and your 2004r transmission..you can use the afb with this trans but you have to use a special adapter for the tcv cable to work properly..the tcv cable adjustment is very crucial to keep from burning up your transmission and with the adapter plate under the afb it might require minor adjustments..didnt know if you knew this and would hate for you not to know and burn up a good tranny..keep us updated with your progress, good luck.T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.