1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 35
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
Like Tree200Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good job, Matt! Glad to see you're making progress again!...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

Good job, Matt! Glad to see you're making progress again!

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

I read this thread and it's almost like a time capsule.

Yay to see it getting closer.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

So, big jump in progress tonight.

I removed my cruise control servo and bracket, and drilled some holes in the body structure. The Holley fuel regulator bracket was then bolted down, and the regulator itself was bolted in. (Those bottom flathead screws were a PAIN at that angle!)

After the regulator was fastened to the car, I broke out the plumbing supplies and added the nozzles and adapters to the ends of my factory fuel lines. (They still had the throttle body inverted flares on the end. My adapters screwed right on!)

It was then off to the parts store for some fuel line and hose clamps. After some cutting, creative positioning, and clamping, I had a complete fuel system, complete with fuel filter! Then I tried to bolt the cruise servo bracket back up, and it wouldn't fit due to the new fuel regulator. Fortunately I still had the drill and a large selection of bits laying around. I moved the bracket slightly lower (just below it's original mounting holes), fired up the drill, and had the bracket bolted back into the car in no time. The cruise servo went right back on and I clocked it slightly different so the vacuum line attached to it didn't interfere with my regulator. It was pretty close to the regulator, so I gently pulled it outward from the regulator (towards the engine) and now I have plenty of space between it and the regulator. (How many times can I say the word "regulator" in one sentence? ) All in all it went much more smoothly than I thought. Here is another view of the results:

I'm really pleased with how it all came out. Next time I'm over there I'll get the negative battery terminal hooked to something other than the exhaust manifold, plop the battery in, and watch some fuel run through my filter. Just because I now can.
    77CDV, outsider and talismandave like this.

So does it run yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    So does it run yet?
    Gettin' close, Craig!

I spent a good while working on the Caddy yesterday.

First off, I finally removed my negative battery cable from the driver's side exhaust manifold. I forgot to take a picture of it, but the cable is now ran through my alternator bracket and curving around the neck of my power steering reservoir, safely away from the evil spinning belts of the accessory drive.

Once that was completed, I removed the fuel line from the carb, and plumbed it into the fuel inlet on the carb instead of the PCV port. I watched a video about Edelbrock carbs earlier this week, and found out that I was completely ignorant about where the fuel line went. Haha. Oops. Here it is corrected:

After fixing my mix-up, I found out that the factory wiring harness reaches the A/C Compressor, and the Alternator. It even reaches the distributor, but I may need to lengthen the wire, as it was a bit tight. Some more fiddling with the harness will tell me if it need lengthened or not.

A/C wired:

Alternator wired:

Dizzy wired (the pinkish wire coming across is what powers it):

I was all excited about having the distributor wired up, so I plugged the new battery in:

After making sure that everything was still nice and free and spinning, I had my Grandmother crank the car over while I held this spark plug and wire combo against some bare metal on the intake:

I got what looked like a miniature lightening bolt from the plug. I don't think that spark will be an issue!

With all of that stuff wired up, I figured it was high-time I finished my trans cooler lines. After zip-tying them up and away from the exhaust manifold, I got creative and bent them juuuust enough so that they would plug right into the 1980 radiator as if it was factory:

Once that was done I figured it was time to bite the bullet and see if the Cadillac could still hold it's drink. I started by filling the transmission with 2 gallons of ATF. I know, it calls for 2.75 gallons, but I'm not sure if I spilled, er, "drained" all of it when I originally pulled it out of the car. I put in enough to show up on the stick, but I have another gallon waiting in the wings.

Now the big deal, the coolant. I went through the whole cooling system, checking that all of my hose clamps were tight. I also took off the spout on top of the engine so air could get out, and so I could pour some in there as needed. Happily, I only made a small mess on top of the intake manifold when it came gurgling out of the open hole where the spout went. So far, so good, no leaks from anything. I have about 4 gallons of 50/50 coolant/water in the engine and radiator. Again, I have two gallons waiting for when all the air gets burped and I need it.

To cap things off, I figured I'd seal up the system for the evening with a new radiator cap. (Har dee har har. )

All in all it was a pretty productive day! I still need to fill up the power steering reservoir as much as I can before start-up, and I need to track down the wire that powers my fuel pump. I THINK I found it today:

But it'll have to wait until next time. Then I might finally be firing this thing up.
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Scrolling through the pics, I was all ready to comment on the fuel line going into the carb. First time I'd seen that one before! Glad you got it figured out. However... I would suggest running hard line to the carb over the engine, then a short section of flex fuel line to the regulator. The less rubber line, the better.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Jay, could you look in your service manual and see what wire powers the fuel pump. I thought I powered mine off a test lead near the drivers hood hinge, thought it was green, could be wrong but I can't find my 84 service manual. Almost there.

Hang, on back in a min.

Good work, Matt! Looking forward to your next manic burst of activity!

ok:

Connector C715 on the ECM (Red).
    .5 LT GRN fuel pump relay control (ground)
    .8 LT BLU fuel pump feed
    .5 DK GRN/WHT fuel pump relay control (output)

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Way to go Matt.

Hanging around all those Cadillacs this weekend must have had a positive effect on you!
    77CDV and greencadillacmatt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    ok:

Connector C715 on the ECM (Red).
    .5 LT GRN fuel pump relay control (ground)
    .8 LT BLU fuel pump feed
    .5 DK GRN/WHT fuel pump relay control (output)

The one that I have circled in my picture is what I THINK to be that .8 Fuel Pump Feed. Would that be the one I need to connect to power?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Yep, light blue, you can wire it straight to the battery for a second to see if the pump turns on. Connect it to a switch that's powered off the ignition if you want more control of the pump or wire it straight to the ignition so it turns on when you turn the key. I think you should wire it to a switch so you can turn it off in case you just wanna listen to the radio. Notice on Jays post, the light blue wire is a little thicker to handle the current. If you do use a switch, make sure it's not a little cheap one that will burn up. I used carlington switches but they require a big hole to mount them in. My friend has a little metal toggle switch that you'd find at Walmart or something, seems to work fine.

^ Um, if you just wanna listen to the radio, you can always turn the key to ACC.
    Stingroo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Yep, light blue, you can wire it straight to the battery for a second to see if the pump turns on. Connect it to a switch that's powered off the ignition if you want more control of the pump or wire it straight to the ignition so it turns on when you turn the key. I think you should wire it to a switch so you can turn it off in case you just wanna listen to the radio. Notice on Jays post, the light blue wire is a little thicker to handle the current. If you do use a switch, make sure it's not a little cheap one that will burn up. I used carlington switches but they require a big hole to mount them in. My friend has a little metal toggle switch that you'd find at Walmart or something, seems to work fine.
    Awesomesauce.

Where does it go from the bulkhead on the firewall? Right to the fuel pump? How far out from the firewall did you cut yours?
    (I'm no electrical wizard and need all the help I can get!)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.