1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 32
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
Like Tree190Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'll try that one too. I have a nice big prybar that will slot nicely in there. Thanks!...
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

I'll try that one too. I have a nice big prybar that will slot nicely in there. Thanks!

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    There shouldn't be any problem grounding to the cylinder head. Just make sure the connection is to a clean surface (metal to metal) and that it is tight and secure.

Still agree with turning the engin though.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Nice! Hearing that sound has got to have you pretty amped to get it going. Starter sounds real good and that motor is turning very easy. What did you do to finally get it turning good?
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Nice! Hearing that sound has got to have you pretty amped to get it going. Starter sounds real good and that motor is turning very easy. What did you do to finally get it turning good?
    I was going to say "you have no idea how amped I am" but then I remembered that you've played the engine swap game before. Haha.

It sounds (and feels) very very smooth as it rolls over.

Two weeks ago I sprayed some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders, threaded the spark plugs back in, and let it sit. Sunday I took the negative cable off of my crappy ground location I had found and grounded it through an exhaust manifold bolt right to the exhaust manifold itself. Lastly, I finally got access to my winter beater SDV (the girlfriend has had it because her Malibu decided it hates it's intake gaskets) and I took the new battery out of that (820 cca) and tossed it into the CDV. We crossed our fingers and turned the key. It still made that "eeeeeeee" noise and I tried the key again and the starter went "er". I saw the alternator pulley wiggle. Tried it again, and it went "er-er". I tried it again and it went "er-er-er-er-er-er-er" and turned right over! I was SO HAPPY that it sounds and feels so smooth.

My next step is to get a longer negative cable and ground it properly on the back of the driver's side cylinder head. Then I'll hook up the trans cooler lines and plumb the fuel system. Once I get that stuff together, I'm calling up my old college auto prof. and he is going to help me wire it up properly (based on your wiring pictures, cs) and get my throttle cable and TV cable properly adjusted.

I'm going on vacation for a week, so there will probably not be too many updates until I get back, but I'm going to jump RIGHT back on it once I can.

Thanks for all the help guys! Now, who had money on it being a crappy ground?
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

I'm back from vacation, and I will be fiddling with a longer ground and fuel lines tomorrow!

Now, can anybody tell me where the fuel return line is? I've looked everywhere for it and can't find it for the life of me. (Am I just blind? )

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

I think it runs from the old Throttle Body over to the right frame rail and from there back to the tank where you will see the three rubber connector hoses. I think the fuel return line is the middle hose but not sure. I should probably keep quiet when I'm not sure.

Cheers..........R.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

UPDATE!!

(Maybe I should get a new facebook. Have I missed anything?)

Big_Al1911 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood Brougham

Wow, I just read through 32 pages of this thread to discover it isn't tooling down the road yet? Kudos to Matt for sticking with it this many years! It seems close, and I'm sure you have dumped a lot of dollars into this over the years it has been underway. Don't lose sight of the finish line!

--Al
    Cadillacboy likes this.

Sorry guys, I've been super busy as of late. Just a lot of running around and very little time to work on the DeVille. Here is what I've got from the last week or three:

This is what I have together for my fuel system plumbing. The regulator is the kind that when the needle closes on the carb, the rest of the fuel dumps out the bottom to the return line. That will be hooked to the factory fuel return line. I also figured that another filter would be a good idea. I will be mounting the regulator under the hood, as I REALLY don't want to hack into the factory fuel lines elsewhere in the system, since I can just run them from the old throttle body hard lines into these rubber ones.

Also, does anybody know if this regulator will work on it's side? if so, then I'd like to mount it something like this:

That way the fuel comes in from the driver's side, goes out and into the carb on the passenger side of the regulator, and the excess goes out the bottom back towards the factory return line. If that won't work, any good ideas for upright underhood mounting locations?

Anything else I should know about fuel system plumbing? I will try and use as little rubber line as possible.

Thanks for all the help and for being patient guys!

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

You can mount it sideways but you dont want to mount it over the engine, it will get too hot and vapor lock. Mine is on the brace that goes from the firewall to the front header.

No issues with it being up against the brake lines right there? I know they can get pretty hot, I just don't want to melt the hoses. And thanks, I completely forgot about vapor lock. I might be able to mount mine a little further forward. For whatever reason, my DeVille is a low-option car, not even having a rear defroster, and apparently not even cruise control. At some point someone put aftermarket cruise on it, and the servo for it is RIGHT where your regulator is mounted. I can get a picture if needed. Thanks CS.

Also, I'm probably going to be wrapping up work on the Coupe for the year, as it's getting COLD out and I need to push the car partway out of the garage to get to the engine bay. I'll be back at it as of first spring warm up, since my Challenger will be in storage then, and I will be going nuts to work on SOMETHING.

I will still jump in on this tread during the winter for tech questions though!

(And I STILL cannot find the fuel return line!)

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    This whole project seems like a goldmine to me, like finding urethane filler replacements. Whoever can figure out a no nonsense easy replacement of the HT4100 has the potential to be King of the Cadillac world!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    This whole project seems like a goldmine to me, like finding urethane filler replacements. Whoever can figure out a no nonsense easy replacement of the HT4100 has the potential to be King of the Cadillac world!
    Good luck on that. As I found out, even swapping in a "basic" 350 chevy brings its own set of hurdles (and as we found from Matt, so does a "basic" carbed olds 350). While BB Cad engines allow use of motor mounts and accessories, you have to swap trans, driveshaft, and rear end. Then someone did an LSx swap, which is by no means plug and play.

If only caddy had made a RWD version of the 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by 84coupedeville View Post
    Are you sacrificing air conditioning-smog........?
    Smog - Yes. I closed up all of the smog accessory ports in the intake with threaded pipe plugs, and even got a block-off plate made so I can delete the exhaust crossover.

Air Conditioning - Not it I can help it. I still have the HUGE A6 compressor that came with my Oldsmobile engine somewhere in the loft of the barn, but I made the mistake of completely disassembling the brackets, and cannot remember where I put them. There is an old guy a mile or two from my girlfriend's house that has an impromptu junkyard on his property, and among the derelicts sits a late 70's Cadillac Seville. If I remember correctly, those were Olds 350 powered, and being that old, it should still use an A6 compressor, complete with all the bracketry I need. He told me that everything on the property is for sale, including parts, so I'll be there yanking that compressor before the bees take over in the spring. I'd love to have ice-cold A/C by the time this project is done.
    77CDV likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.