1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 30
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
Like Tree200Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Never heard Luke's voice but having seen enough photos of him, I wouldn't imagine a squeaky voice. Matt however even ...
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    Never heard Luke's voice but having seen enough photos of him, I wouldn't imagine a squeaky voice.

Matt however even has the accent I would associate with his vocabulary, so I think I see what Luke means.
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

I have a surprise or two up my sleeve

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

You know, I didn't even consider the plugs OR the oil. I had the plugs OUT when I turned it over by hand, with the oil in there. They are BRAND NEW rings, so I could see how those, plus oil, plus plugs could make it really hard to turn over. (And my ancient battery probably doesn't help anything.) I'll be pulling the plugs tomorrow and retrying the starter. Thanks guys!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan
    Never heard Luke's voice but having seen enough photos of him, I wouldn't imagine a squeaky voice.

Matt however even has the accent I would associate with his vocabulary, so I think I see what Luke means.
    I had not seen a picture of luke prior to talking to him on the phone

Ok, I think I figured out what's up with my engine cranking deal. I took all of the spark plugs out of the engine first, and then pulled the battery out of my '93 DeVille and took it over to the '84. This is a known good battery. I hooked it up, tried the key, and it did the same thing as in the video. I tried turning it over a few more times, and was just about to give up when I thought I saw something. I leaned as close to the engine as I could, and tried the key again. And again. And again. THE ALTERNATOR PULLEY WAS MOVING. My cousin's condo sits RIGHT door to my Grandmother's condo, and since my cousin wasn't home, I went over and got Grandma. She graciously agreed to come over and turn the key for me. Once I was as close as I could get to the crank pulley, I had her hit the key a couple of times. "CLUNK". "CLUNK". "CLUNK". And the finally: "ERR". It moved. It moved a half an inch, but that's all it needed. MY ENGINE ISN'T SEIZED! But it still wouldn't turn over on the starter.

I think I have an answer for that too. When I put the engine together, I used the flexplate from my HT4100. It was drilled for both the HT and the Olds engine, so I figured it would be perfect. (The flexplate that came with my Olds 350 was drilled ONLY for a Turbo 350.) Not really ever considering it being an issue, I got a starter for a 1976 Oldsmobile 350. The HT's flexplate only has 144 teeth on it, while the original Olds flexplate had 166. I think that the starter gears are binding on the flexplate! So I started looking at starter pinion drives, thinking I might be able to swap them out. While doing so, I noticed that the starter drive on a HT engine is the same part number as an Olds 350 Diesel starter drive. Those two engines must use the same flexplate! On top of that, the Olds 350 Diesels use the same block as the gasoline engines. So a Diesel starter should fit my gas block. I'm going to order up an Olds 350 Diesel starter tonight. Hopefully it will be here by this weekend, which I have off. I'll report back with the results.

If you guys have any opinions or ideas on this, LET ME KNOW! I check this thread AT LEAST once a day. Haha.

Thanks for keeping me going on this project. You guys ROCK!

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Like I've already said, that DEFINITELY sounds like the problem. Glad to see your research (with helpful assistance from your Grandmother) proved successful.
    77CDV and greencadillacmatt like this.

Yep, I'll order the Diesel starter, and if it doesn't work, then I'll take apart and swap out the pinion gear drive on my '76 Olds gas starter for the one from an HT4100. Ah, customizing. Ain't it grand?
    77CDV likes this.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I have never heard of another flex plate that would work on an Oldsmobile. Is the Cadillac 4.1 flex plate swap something new that I have never heard about? I'm not crazy about that idea. I think I would rather have one of those heavy duty flex plates from Summit for around $40 (last time I checked).

It's almost show time now. I can't wait for the road report.

Robin Banx is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Seems to me that the flex plate attaches to the 4100 crankshaft with only three bolts. I suspect that it won't have a long and happy life in your application. I'd replace it now with the correct flex plate if it were my choice.

Cheers.........R.
    The Ape Man and 77CDV like this.

The plot thickens!

All this talk of a sketchy flexplate got me digging around in my old build pictures. I found a picture of the flexplate I used! And guess what? I was dead wrong! I didn't use the plate from the HT, I used the one from the Olds 350.

That is the '76 Olds flexplate. And I am using a '76 Olds starter. I know there are no shims in between the starter and the block. Could that really be my issue? Could it be that all I need are shims?!? That would ROCK. Let me know what you guys think.

(And all of this trying to remember what I put together 3 years ago suuucks! Good thing I took a lot of pictures!)

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I have never seen "metric" printed on any of my flex plates before. I would guess it is from a 307. This is just speculation on my part but never seen that before and I have 3 Olds cutlasses and changed trannys in all of them.

Hmm. This could also be possible, as I had a 307 parts engine drifting around the garage with all the rest of the vehicular flotsam. Either way, according to me cross-referencing parts on RockAuto, my '83 307 Flexplate and my '76 350 Flexplate have the exact same number of teeth, and they are the same pitch as well.

Any ideas if my starter is binding up because I have no shims in place at all? Every so many turns of the key the engine turns over just a teeny tiny little bit. I guess this weekend I'll pick up a shim kit and have at it.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    You are gonna have to pull the starter gear out and see how it mates with the flexplate. If it sits too close, it will bind. Also have to make sure the flexplate isn't sitting too far forward, it was just a pain for me. I just went through this and I finally got a high torque starter off eBay for $80 and now it starts great now. The pole that my starter gear(bending?) was sliding on was warped so it would crank good for half the turn and grind the other half. If I could link Cadillac power on this forum, I'd be able to show you the big ordeal I went through with mine. Yours is probably simple shimming, mine was the placement of the flexplate and a bad starter from the store.

^Well now I'm REALLY hoping for just shims!

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Yea, my problem was totally different from yours. I think you just need to verify you have the right combo and maybe put a couple shims in.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.