1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 29
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt This is the old mechanical fan compared to the new electric. They are actually pretty comparable ...
    nebulosity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    This is the old mechanical fan compared to the new electric. They are actually pretty comparable in size.
    Not when you consider the fact that you don't need that big fanshroud now, right? lol

PS: Now I want a fan like that........
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by nebulosity View Post

PS: Now I want a fan like that........

....priorities kid, priorities.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave

....priorities kid, priorities.
    Yeah....you need a new engine to cool first

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

By the way Matt, I'm going to the junkyard to steal your fan mod this weekend. How are you gonna wire it up?

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    By the way Matt, I'm going to the junkyard to steal your fan mod this weekend. How are you gonna wire it up?
    I'll be wiring it up just like they did (or very similar to how they did) in this article that Ray sent me: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...cfan/index.php

I just need to pick up a thermostatic fan switch with adjustable thermostat from the parts store.

Also, I think I figured out how I will wire up my starter. I got out the Factory Service Manual the other day and stared down the starter wiring diagrams, and figured out what color wires go where. (I think. ) I'll be fiddling with that in few days, hopefully.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    That is slick. I may be reconsidering my use of Roadmaster fans...

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

^ I could have SWORN I showed you the Taurus fan mod when we discussed this.

Hmm... I may have been having an off day.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

Hey guys. Made some progress today, but I'm not sure in what direction.

I'd been getting paranoid about the fact that my engine has sat for 3 years. Before I put it away I hosed all of the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil. It turned over with a little effort (due to the nice fresh rings in it) but everything was nice and smooth. I tried turning it over today with the ol' breaker bar on the crank nut like I had in the past, but I couldn't get it to budge. The angle that the nut is at didn't give me the best leverage though. I figured I'd climb under the car and hook up the starter wires. The black thick wire went to the middle top stud, and the purple wire went to the lower right stud, like so:

Red circle is where the black wire went, yellow is where the purple wire went.

After everything was hooked up, I plopped the battery in, and got some nice bright interior lights, my auto climate control trying to turn on, and my radio beeping at me. Excellent, I have power! I went to turn the key, and it would not crank over at all. It made the typical armature engaging the flexplate noise, but would not crank. It DID make this high pitched EEEEEEEEE noise, as evident in the below video:

As I said in the video, the battery is questionable. Though I topped off the water in it and charged it for a good while, it is very old. And though I had my jump-box hooked to it, it isn't charged all the way. Maybe it's the battery?

Just for informational purposes, it is the flexplate from the HT4100 engine, and a starter for a 1976 Oldsmobile 350.

ANY AND ALL INPUT IS APPRECIATED. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that my engine isn't seized up. Worse come to worse I can always hose the cylinders with more Mystery Oil. Thanks again guys. If you need any more info please let me know. I'm pretty dang freaked out about it. Haha.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I can't think the engine is seized. My 69 FWB sat unstarted for 3+ years without all that prep, and it still turned over on the first crank. Try again with a known good battery and report back.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I would second that.

Oh, by the way, Dr. Weirdo with a statement.

ALL of your guys' voices that I have heard to date are freaking epic. They fit the person they belong to PERFECTLY. That is all
    77CDV and greencadillacmatt like this.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

He y matt,
    Dont worry The engine is fine. Its just hydralocked from the marvel mystery oil in the cylinders. Some of the cylinders are probably full of it so when you went to start it the crank cant move them. Air can compress but liquid cant. Same thing happened to me when I put my fleetwood in storage years back. You need to purge out the cylinders. To do this pull out all of the spark plugs and crank it over a few times. Put some rags over the spark plug holes so it doesn't shoot all over your garage. Then put the plugs back in and it should fire up for you. Its gonna smoke pretty bad for a few minutes too because its burning all the mystery oil out but its normal. Should be good to go after that.
    77CDV and greencadillacmatt like this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I think you should take the plugs out also. I think the battery is probably doing enough.

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94FWB, 07Terraza, 09G5, It's a driveway of GM's

Matt I would tend to agree with Fleetwood472, seems hydra-locked. Get those plug's out & purge out the cylinders, that should get things moving. We all routing for you here bud.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

I would agree with Fleetwood as usual. My Lincoln when I got it hadn't been run in over twenty years. It still was not seized. It did however have to be purged. Let the engine cycle a few times and try again. From there, I would at least expect a response. The battery may be the problem, as you've mentioned, but to me, that seems less likely, especially if you've got a booster connected to it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    I would second that.

ALL of your guys' voices that I have heard to date are freaking epic. They fit the person they belong to PERFECTLY. That is all
    I've a dense accent and speak very fast (I legitimately believe I could actually set the world record, but I am already in the Guinness World Record book for something else)

Consider yourself greatly fortunate that you've never had to hear me speak.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24
    I would second that.

I can't say the same for you luke. You go around liking everything, so I was expecting some squeaky pitched kid, then you have a super deep manly voice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.