1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 28
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Looking sharp! Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt (Actually, after talking with Stingroo, I might go for a late 80's/early 90's 3.8 ...
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

Looking sharp!

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    (Actually, after talking with Stingroo, I might go for a late 80's/early 90's 3.8 Ford Taurus electric fan. I guess those move CRAZY air.)
    Note taken.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

(Actually, after talking with Stingroo, I might go for a late 80's/early 90's 3.8 Ford Taurus electric fan. I guess those move CRAZY air.)
    I had never heard that before but it makes sense, that was about the first car to have little or no grill area.

THERE'S the sanity. (From Dave? Is that possible? )

Hey, I was drunk...ignore me when I drink....

(I meant engine-cooling wise, Dave! I really don't think you want to be packed under the hood, blowing........................................... .................................................. ................on the radiator! )

Whew....had me worried for a moment.....didn't think I was THAT drunk!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan
    Looking sharp!

Note taken.
    I took notes too! Supposedly, 66 toronados, under certain circumstances, can overheat due to poor airflow. To remedy this, olds enlarged the grille opening in the bumper for 67. I'm not replacing my bumper, so a fan from a taurus might help cool that beast of an engine.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Good to see you making progress again, Matt! Just one lil question: I thought leaving batteries directly on the ground was no bueno?
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Good to see you making progress again, Matt! Just one lil question: I thought leaving batteries directly on the ground was no bueno?
    I don't think that becomes an issue unless you are storing them, as the cold from the cement hurts the battery charge. (I think.)

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

It used to be a problem to leave them on the ground but now they are insulated all the way around the cells, not just on the sides. What are you trying to figure out on the starter connections? The small stud used for the coil wire is the one closest to the block when installed, the other small stud is ignition switched used on some cars to run to the distributer coil power wire.

socortes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 Cadillac Sedan Deville

I'm actually in the process of doing the swap. Is the OP on this post still?

Sure is. Most anticipated swap of the year...

No pressure Matt. lol

Hahahahaha. Yep, no pressure.

I just need to see what wires go where on the starter. It seems I have quite a few hanging around the starter area. (Probably not as many as I think, but it looked confusing and hard to get to when I was under there!) I actually replaced the starter on the original engine, but I cant remember what wiring goes where, as that was a long time ago.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Sure is. Most anticipated swap of the year...

No pressure Matt. lol

.......which year are you referring to?

Its hard to explain the wires on the starter but I'll look in my 83 service manual today. Only one wire will go to the coil terminal to engage the starter, the other small wires will probably go to the other small terminal and the big wire to the big constant terminal. Of course the battery should be disconnected while you hook everything up. You have a pic of the wires in question? Maybe you can unbolt the starter and connect the wires. I've unbolted the starter, hung it close by with a hanger wire, connected the wires and then bolted it back up just because there is no room in most car.

^I'll see if I can get a picture of the starter wires later today. I appreciated the help!

socortes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 Cadillac Sedan Deville

@greencadillacmatt I just noticed you have a challenger also. I too have one a 2010 srt

Still no wiring pictures. Sorry CS!

There are no wiring pictures because I was busy getting the cooling system almost completely together!

I started the day off by going to the junkyard with my brother. I wanted the electric fan out of a late 80s/early 90s Ford Taurus as per Stingroo's suggestion. We found a '94 Mercury Sable (same thing) and pulled the fan out of that. Two bolts and the electrical connector and it slid right out!

After we got back, I took the bottom half of my mechanical fan's shroud and chopped almost all of it off. I just needed the flat panel on the bottom where it mounts to the body and has the rubber feet for the radiator. I think it turned out pretty well:

I took it over to my cousin's place and (after removing the mechanical fan itself) bolted it in. It now fits in just the area that it needs to support the radiator.

This is the old mechanical fan compared to the new electric. They are actually pretty comparable in size.

It was about this time that I started wondering if this junkyard marvel actually worked. So I cut the connector plug off the end, stripped the wires a bit, and hooked it to my little battery jump-box. Here is Low Speed:

That sounded pretty good, right? This is High-Speed. (Mind you, my jump-box was only partially charged when this was shot.)

After finding out that it indeed does work, I mocked up where it would sit against the radiator.

These are the little attachment pegs I used to hold the fan to the radiator. They even came with little foam stickies to put between the two!

I drilled a little hole on the lower right side of the fan housing so that I could run another attachment peg through the fan and the radiator. There was a little flat spot on that side, so that's where I drilled. I didn't really think it would be good for the bottom of the right side to be flopping around down there. Here they are being stuck to each other:

Here is the fan and radiator, now one unit, in place and firmly bolted down.

Once the radiator and fan were in, I figured I'd mess with the hoses for the cooling system. I already had a new heater core to block hose in, but had yet to replace the water pump to heater core hose. I removed the air conditioning compressor and bracketry for now. It was in the way and I think I'm going to drag my A6 compressor out of the barn and see if I can get that bolted on there eventually.

I also mocked up both of my radiator hoses. (They'd have been installed, but I need to get hose clamps.) I ordered these for an '84 DeVille with the Oldsmobile 350 Diesel, and they fit PERFECTLY. I was very excited that they fit.

It's starting to look more and more like an engine bay instead of a big hole in the car. I can't wait to get more done! I'm going to get the cooling system buttoned up and try to get my starter wired next time.
    77CDV, csbuckn, Stingroo and 2 others like this.

Dang! that fan mod is nice!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.