1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 27
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 492
Like Tree165Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by csbuckn I'd try to mount that regulator around the same spot as the height sensor and put ...
  1. #391
    greencadillacmatt's Avatar
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Otsego,Michigan
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,122

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    I'd try to mount that regulator around the same spot as the height sensor and put a fuel pressure gauge right before the carb. I'm probably gonna do that too.
    Cool, cool... Where is the height sensor again?

  2. #392
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt

    Cool, cool... Where is the height sensor again?
    IIRC, its on the left rear lower control arm.

  3. #393
    greencadillacmatt's Avatar
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Otsego,Michigan
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,122

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    IIRC, its on the left rear lower control arm.
    Thanks! So it wouldn't be a good idea to put it under the hood?

    How would I go about attaching a pressure gauge near the carb, CS?

  4. #394
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,979
    The height sensor is on the frame in between the rear wheels. You can see the rubber brake line come through it and go down to the rear axle. You can definitely put it under the hood, it would just make the fuel hotter which, technically, would rob horsepower. I don't know if it's enough heat to cause problems, hasn't caused any issues for me. An inline fuel gauge will work just fine. It will have an inlet and outlet, I would just put it close to the carb. Edelbrock may have a gauge that connects to the carb. The gauge isn't really needed but would tell you exactly what pressure you are getting. I ran one but it leaked so I took it out and haven't hooked another one up.

  5. #395
    greencadillacmatt's Avatar
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Otsego,Michigan
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,122

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    Got a bit of work done today! There should be even more done tomorrow.

    First off, the mail came today and THIS came in from eBay:



    And best of all...



    Looking swanky with those factory wires!



    After I spent a few minutes drooling over my new brochure, I went downstairs and dug my old battery out of the bottom of my tool cart. After sitting for 3 years, it STILL read 9.xxx volts when I put my voltmeter on it! I brought it up to the porch and popped the service caps off, and topped up the water with some fresh distilled.



    Then I hooked it up to the battery charger and set it to low. I'll let it sit over night, and see what kind of power it holds tomorrow. I want to plug the battery into the car tomorrow to see if I can get the engine to turn over. Fingers crossed!



    After all of this shocking activity ( ), I drove over to my cousin's place, and got my new power steering high-pressure hose o-ringed and tightened down. I also was able to reuse the stock low-pressure power steering hose by spinning it around and plugging it directly into the new ('83 Olds) power steering pump. All I had to do then was tighten up the hose clamps. Aside from filling the system with fluid, I am COMPLETELY DONE with the power steering system!!!



    Once I was finished fiddling with the steering, I decided that it might be a good idea to reinstall and tighten the belts. Since my A/C system is still a mess of not-quite-right bracketry, I didn't install a belt for that at this time. I did put on the crank to water pump to power steering pump belt, and the water pump to alternator belt. The power steering pump belt tightened up just fine, but I REALLY had to wrestle the alternator to get the belt tight. You need three hands to hold the belt tight and get the alternator adjustment bolts cranked down! Stupid brackets!



    Tomorrow I hope to get the radiator, fan shroud, and fan in, and also get the starter and grounds hooked up so I can (hopefully) hear this baby crank for the first time! Wish me luck!

  6. #396
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sitting on The Levee
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,307

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    Those Olds Alternator brackets, man. I introduced Craig to them in Saint Augustine last year. He was utterly baffled by their design.

    With my overwhelmingly abundant experience with them though, I have become quite adept at adjusting them. Never really have an issue with them. I mean, yes, it is still an absurd design.


    When you start it up, get us a video.

    On a semi-related note, it seems that Summit Racing now offers an engine cradle for the bigblock Cadillac motors. I too may soon have a first startup video of an engine, albeit it would not actually be in a car...or have any sort of exhaust...but who needs an exhaust...

  7. #397
    talismandave's Avatar
    talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Madison WI
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,463

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    Got a bit of work done today! There should be even more done tomorrow.

    First off, the mail came today and THIS came in from eBay:



    And best of all...



    Looking swanky with those factory wires!



    After I spent a few minutes drooling over my new brochure, I went downstairs and dug my old battery out of the bottom of my tool cart. After sitting for 3 years, it STILL read 9.xxx volts when I put my voltmeter on it! I brought it up to the porch and popped the service caps off, and topped up the water with some fresh distilled.



    Then I hooked it up to the battery charger and set it to low. I'll let it sit over night, and see what kind of power it holds tomorrow. I want to plug the battery into the car tomorrow to see if I can get the engine to turn over. Fingers crossed!



    After all of this shocking activity ( ), I drove over to my cousin's place, and got my new power steering high-pressure hose o-ringed and tightened down. I also was able to reuse the stock low-pressure power steering hose by spinning it around and plugging it directly into the new ('83 Olds) power steering pump. All I had to do then was tighten up the hose clamps. Aside from filling the system with fluid, I am COMPLETELY DONE with the power steering system!!!



    Once I was finished fiddling with the steering, I decided that it might be a good idea to reinstall and tighten the belts. Since my A/C system is still a mess of not-quite-right bracketry, I didn't install a belt for that at this time. I did put on the crank to water pump to power steering pump belt, and the water pump to alternator belt. The power steering pump belt tightened up just fine, but I REALLY had to wrestle the alternator to get the belt tight. You need three hands to hold the belt tight and get the alternator adjustment bolts cranked down! Stupid brackets!



    Tomorrow I hope to get the radiator, fan shroud, and fan in, and also get the starter and grounds hooked up so I can (hopefully) hear this baby crank for the first time! Wish me luck!

    Sure...now you get it running!
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

  8. #398
    CadillacLuke24's Avatar
    CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,770

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    'Nother Vacation Dave!

    SWEET Matt! I'm rootin' for ya!

  9. #399
    greencadillacmatt's Avatar
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Otsego,Michigan
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,122

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Sure...now you get it running!
    Hahahaha! Noooo where near, Dave. Rest assured.

    I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted to today. The Caddy decided to fight me the entire way.

    Things started well enough, as I got the car jacked up.



    I proceeded to haul myself under the car, meaning to attach the wires to the starter solenoid. I forgot to bring a flashlight, and I found that I couldn't remember what wires went where anyway. I figured that I would deal with that later, so I moved on to the cooling system.

    The Caddy didn't give me any trouble as I attached the cooling fan.



    This is where things started to derail a bit. As you can tell in the picture, the fan hits the shroud. It sits farther to the driver side and higher than it did on the HT4100, even though it is the same fan.



    After discovering this, I didn't really know what to do, so I let the cooling system alone for the day. I did have an idea, but I will get to that later.

    I decided to go to the parts store and get some hose fittings for the radiator ends of the trans cooler lines. They are at an awkward angle, and I figured some hose fittings and rubber hoses would be an easy way around that. (I don't really want to hack into the lines and re-flare them, hence the hunt for the fittings.)

    When I got to the parts store, I found this:



    It was about the same size around as my factory fan, and being electric, it eliminates the need for a shroud entirely. I have no idea if this fan is good, but it got me thinking about the dual electric fans I saw in a mid-90's Fleetwood Brougham at the junkyard. (Actually, after talking with Stingroo, I might go for a late 80's/early 90's 3.8 Ford Taurus electric fan. I guess those move CRAZY air.)

    After looking for my biggest fan (see what I did there?) I resumed my search for trans cooler hose fittings. After trips to Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, and Auto Zone, I finally cobbled together enough brass to connect hose fittings to the radiator itself, and the ends of the trans cooler lines. These are what I ended up with:



    And:



    All of this dinking around ONLY took me an hour and a half. I got back, thread-taped all of the connections on my couplers, and decided to hang it up for the evening. I didn't want to get frustrated at the car, and I was getting there quick enough, especially after finding out I had lost one of the connectors somewhere in transit, and had to go back and buy another.

    So next on my list of things to do is to cut down the bottom half of my fan shroud, leaving nothing but the mounting holes and the radiator mounting pads. I will begin my search for an electric fan after that. Anybody here running an electric fan on a vehicle that originally had a mechanical fan? If so, any info on the swap would be appreciated.

    Also, does anybody have a picture of the wiring on their Olds 307 starter? I cannot for the life of me find a good picture of that. Any other starter wiring info would be GREATLY appreciated.

    Thanks for listening to my griping about a pretty nonproductive day. You guys help keep me sane when this kind of stuff happens!

    Thanks gentleman! Let me know what you think!
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

  10. #400
    talismandave's Avatar
    talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Madison WI
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,463

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    Baby steps Matt, baby steps.

    Rueben (CadForce69) taught me that with his build and advice. Don't try to do it all at once. After not touching Sally for 6 months just getting it up on the jack stands and looking under it was my first day accomplishment. Then I played with the paint stripping for a while since it is easy and mentally rewarding.

    For all the dirty PITA work, end the day with something fun and cosmetic. Eventually the PITA work will get along far enough that it is rewarding and satisfying. Until then, reward yourself with something stupid that makes feel better about the car.


    I thought I was your biggest fan!

  11. #401
    greencadillacmatt's Avatar
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Otsego,Michigan
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,122

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Baby steps Matt, baby steps.

    Rueben (CadForce69) taught me that with his build and advice. Don't try to do it all at once. After not touching Sally for 6 months just getting it up on the jack stands and looking under it was my first day accomplishment. Then I played with the paint stripping for a while since it is easy and mentally rewarding.

    For all the dirty PITA work, end the day with something fun and cosmetic. Eventually the PITA work will get along far enough that it is rewarding and satisfying. Until then, reward yourself with something stupid that makes feel better about the car.


    I thought I was your biggest fan!
    THERE'S the sanity. (From Dave? Is that possible? ) I gotta keep that in mind. Sometimes you get so hung up on trying to do everything that you start to get discouraged when it doesn't happen right away. That's why I went far out of my way to get those connections on the radiator and trans lines, just so I felt accomplished for the day. It made me feel better about the rest of it not working right. Thanks for the input, Dave. I certainly appreciate it.

    (I meant engine-cooling wise, Dave! I really don't think you want to be packed under the hood, blowing on the radiator! )
    talismandave likes this.

  12. #402
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,411
    A 307 caddy shroud should be easy to find and solve your fan issue 100%

  13. #403
    greencadillacmatt's Avatar
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Otsego,Michigan
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,122

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    A 307 caddy shroud should be easy to find and solve your fan issue 100%
    Really? That'd be a helluva lot easier and cheaper than putting electric fans in it. Hmmm. Now I guess I just need to get lucky and find a 307 Brougham in the yard!

    Hey Kevin, could you post up a picture of your starter solenoid in either your Caddy or Buick? I need some wiring to reference...

  14. #404
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt

    Really? That'd be a helluva lot easier and cheaper than putting electric fans in it. Hmmm. Now I guess I just need to get lucky and find a 307 Brougham in the yard!

    Hey Kevin, could you post up a picture of your starter solenoid in either your Caddy or Buick? I need some wiring to reference...
    Yup....a 307 fan shroud would work perfectly. Just make sure the fan on the 307 and 4100 spin the same way (won't affect the shroud, but will affect cooling greatly).
    As for pics of the starter solenoid wiring on my buick, sure! (Remember, my caddy has a chevy 350 under the hood) Where is the starter solenoid exactly?

  15. #405
    greencadillacmatt's Avatar
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Otsego,Michigan
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,122

    Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

    I didn't think to look and see if the Olds 350 fan and the HT4100 fan spin different ways. Good idea, Kevin! The starter solenoid is the smaller cylinder on top of the main body of the starter. If it isn't too much of a pain to take a picture of I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting