1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 24
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by LeaLEllis Holy Moly! I read 23 pages of the book to see the end result. Matt, where ...
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaLEllis
    Holy Moly! I read 23 pages of the book to see the end result. Matt, where the heck are you? Did you get it running or was it an epic fail? Need to know because we are getting ready to replace the HT4100 in our 1985 Eldorado Biarritz. I would prefer to swap to another engine but don't want to try without reading the end of your story.
    Post up some pics of your biarritz. I love those and found it to be one of cadillacs best 80s designs (I'm torn between it and the FWB as to which one was caddys best design in the 80s)

With the stock 200r4 you have, I would recommend a smog era olds 350 or a smog era chevy 350. With either engine, I would keep it bone stock.

I'm currently swapping an '87 chevy 350 into my 86 fleetwood brougham (hasn't been as "direct swap" as I would have liked, but everything has been rather easy to make fit.)
    Given you're keeping the stock trans, you'd need to allot about 2-3k if you are paying someone else to do the labor. (theres a ton of miscellaneous stuff that will pop up.)
    As for a donor engine, expect to pay 350- 800. If you can buy a running donor vehicle- do so. Besides letting you test it out, it allows you to get most everything you'd need as far as accessories, wiring, etc. I bought an 87 silverado with a fried trans, alot of rust, and a really strong 350 for 650 and drove it home in 1st gear.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I went to school with a girl named that....on second thought, I think it was a nickname.

Man I see what you guys are always bagging on him for...I never knew it was that long either. Still glad he stored until he can get to it instead of scrapping it.
    A Cadillac Gentleman Of The First Order!
    "Have too many projects...."
    "Ran when parked...."
    "Not much left to do...."

(I really have no room to talk! )

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

I will not have this luxury when my engine swap comes. I mean...I have three coupes, a bike, an SUV and a truck to drive in my Cadillac's place, not to mention all the friends/family who would happily let me borrow one of theirs...but I would be so utterly lost without my Cadillac, so it will have to be done quickly. If not, the rest of the world will have to wait.

When life is back in a regular order and I have the land space for starting several other projects that have been scratching around the back of my brain for the last few years, I may have to drive to Michigan and take Matt's car away to be finished. Sting and I can handle it.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Perhaps Big Blue is to forever languish in a storage unit with a perfectly good engine that is equally useless.

Well, at least he has teh DeVille now.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Just shove a working HT4100 in it and be done and enjoy. Life is too short to have your cars in storage units.

Funny thing is, the engine is pretty much in the car as I recall. He just needed to do some tweaks to the mounts and hook it all up to make it good. I'm sure he'll get around to it. Eventually. Maybe. Someday. Perhaps.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

HOLY CRAP IT'S BEEN FOREVER! Um, uh, so... Well, what can I say? The Coupe shall live again this next spring (I know THAT sounds familiar) BUT I have an ace up my sleeve this time. My college professor that I'm friends with will be enlisted, as he is an electrical guru, and that is the main part that needs finished. And that also lines up with tax time, so fingerse crossed, but the Caddy should live again come 2013. (I feel bad every time I see it in storage. It's at my Cousin's condo RIGHT next to my Grandmother's Condo. He can't drive and lets me use his garage. I catch his garage door open some times and it makes me want to scream.)

And thanks for all of the, um, "reminding" me about my Coupe. It keeps it in my mind, and I am actually working on plan to get it going.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Just shove a working HT4100 in it and be done and enjoy. Life is too short to have your cars in storage units.
    Haha, when the gaskets blew on the origional, I tried every shop in town and nobody would touch it. (That was before I had my auto smarts.)

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    HOLY CRAP IT'S BEEN FOREVER! Um, uh, so... Well, what can I say? The Coupe shall live again this next spring (I know THAT sounds familiar) BUT I have an ace up my sleeve this time. My college professor that I'm friends with will be enlisted, as he is an electrical guru, and that is the main part that needs finished. And that also lines up with tax time, so fingerse crossed, but the Caddy should live again come 2013. (I feel bad every time I see it in storage. It's at my Cousin's condo RIGHT next to my Grandmother's Condo. He can't drive and lets me use his garage. I catch his garage door open some times and it makes me want to scream.)

And thanks for all of the, um, "reminding" me about my Coupe. It keeps it in my mind, and I am actually working on plan to get it going.
    Are you a Cubs fan, by chance?

I feel your pain, Matt. We all know you'll get there. It's just amazing how that pesky thing called "life" messes with our plans!

Kriegar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Brougham d' Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    ..................................I think you will be fine with your valve lash. With hydraulic lifters, the lash isn't crucial to have on the numbers. Plenty of people lash by spinning the pushrod while tightening the rocker down until the rod doesn't spin. Start it up, break it in, and if there is rocker noise, pull the covers and tighten up.
    Not the way to go with Olds or Pontiac. Torque to specs.

Kriegar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Brougham d' Elegance

2013 is coming, G.

Couple of notes on this line of thinking:

I swapped a '73 Olds 455+200r4 into a 72 Grand Prix, toggle switch on the lock-up TQ, and a B&M shift kit w/tranny cooler. It worked fine, and held up.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Hey.

Matt.

Finish this damn thing.
    77CDV, 77CDV, csbuckn and 3 others like this.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Hey.

Matt.

Finish this damn thing.
    FUCIKING WERD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just might have to buy it off you for a stupid cheap price if you can't finish it.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Hey.

Matt.

Finish this damn thing.
    ^ You should take the advice this guy is offering you Matt, he ought to know since he certainly is an authority on Cadillac engine projects, like on his own Cadillac. Oh, wait, never mind Matt, this guy riling you just talked about keeping his Cadillac alive, instead he caved and took the easy way out and chopped up then junked his car, then he bought something else. But at least we still have the pleasure of his nearly 15,000 useful and helpful postings telling everyone else what to do. All part of the fun!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham

^ You should take the advice this guy is offering you Matt, he ought to know since he certainly is an authority on Cadillac engine projects, like on his own Cadillac. Oh, wait, never mind Matt, this guy riling you just talked about keeping his Cadillac alive, instead he caved and took the easy way out and chopped up then junked his car, then he bought something else. But at least we still have the pleasure of his nearly 15,000 useful and helpful postings telling everyone else what to do. All part of the fun!
    LMAO

Matt, you need to get this done. Seriously.

-guy who didn't scrap his brougham and has a running 350 in it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.