1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; That whole drivetrain-on-a-thread setup is scaring me.......
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

That whole drivetrain-on-a-thread setup is scaring me....

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

^ What he said.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

^It makes me nervous every time I have to put my hand under it. I REALLY don't want a flat hand.

It'll be going in Tuesday. Tomorrow I'll just be finishing some small things.

I did do a little bit of engine-eering before work today though.

First of all, I will now be able to start my car.

And, when it gets too hot, I can hit a button and turn my AC on.

^That is the AC compressor from the HT. It pumps R12 and the pulley lined right up with the Olds accessories. Plus I know for a fact that this one works. One of the few things that actually transfered over without any problems.

Finally, I'm going over to my friend's dad's house tomorrow to have him drill a hole in these (he has a big machine shop). They are the engine mounts from the HT. They won't fit the Olds at the moment, but they are one hole away from being a bolt-on item. You can see where the hole needs drilled on the left one. I marked it with red RTV.

I measured from the first engine mount hole on the HT and from the one on the Olds. From that hole back both engine are about 15.5 inches long. They are also the same width at the engine mount points. This means that the HT mounts will locate the Olds PERFECTLY in the engine bay.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement. You guys rock!

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

I still demand video!

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

^He's a Nut.

It's all coming together, can't wait to see a shot of it IN the car.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I can't wait to see the engine in the car in FL in a couple weeks!

The engine can now be put in the car. I had my friend's dad drill the HT's mounts out, and they bolted right onto the Olds. I just need to pick up some vacuum line, some PCV hose, fuel line, and some lock-washers for the mount bolts, and it's going in tomorrow.

Also, on the other side of the engine, part of the power steering pump bracket mounts to the front bolt hole above the oil pan. This is where the engine mount needs to go. I undid the bolt that I had in there, and cranked on the bracket with a pry bar. The P/S pump DID NOT move an inch. Since it apparently doesn't matter if this part of the bracket is connected, I'm going to chop the end off so I can put the engine mount there. I REALLY dont want to pull the P/S pump and alternator off to remove this one piece, so I will just sawzal it. Sorry, forgot to take a picture of it.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I think that's pretty normal for people to do. On my 69 caddy they cut some of the mounting brackets related to the AC because they didn't want the AC I guess...

I was like "What the hell is all this cut up brackets?" then in the trunk I found the AC components.

Go, go, blue and gold!

Well, it's in. Sort of.

Let me explain. We shoehorned the whole mess on into the engine bay (that was an experience in itself). After a little fiddling, the passenger side mount lined up PERFECTLY. Unfortunately, the driver's side is about 2 inches or so away from lining up with the mount. Anybody have any ideas? I measured the width of the HT and the width of the Olds, and found them to be the same. Was I wrong? I mean, I could have not measured correctly. Um, does anybody know the width from side to side of the Olds engine mounting holes?

Anyway, this is what the passenger side looks like. It lined up PERFECTLY. It almost looks factory.

And this is how far off the driver's side is. I circled and drew an arrow on the engine mount, and circled the hole it needs to line up with on the frame mount.

Me, pry-barring the CRAP out of the passenger side. It dropped right into place after that.

This is how the engine is sitting with the driver's engine mount not lining up. It's juuuuust a bit crooked.

I also have this nice shot of the engine with some car around it. At least it's kind-of in there.

So, does ANYBODY have a clue as to what I can do? Or is a custom driver-side mount in my near future. My friend's dad has an entire machine shop in his barn. Maybe I should have him come out and take a look.

I would go with that. Have him take a look, I am sure he can help you with this two-inch-long road to Hell (If the other community members here don't find a solution quicker of course)

Regardless, it looks great.

Two inches left until perfection, two inches.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

How about just grabbing a set of mounts from a 307 car?

^I have no 307 car to grab them from. If I did would I need the frame mounts, or the engine mounts, or both? I had Olds 350 engine mounts, but they don't fit the frame mounts. It was such a pain putting the engine in there, I REALLY don't want to take it out again. I could lift it and maybe swedge the new mounts in there though. Any idea if the 307 mounts will fit my car's frame?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

What if you took the frame mounts off, mounted them to the engine mounts, set the engine down correctly and had someone tack weld the frame mounts in there?

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

In Ohio, engine mounts are for wusses... I can't tell you how many car's I've worked on where the engine was held up by a board, wedged between it and the chassis, or a length of chain, linking the mounts together or tethering the engine to the firewall.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.