1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! - Page 13
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ^You guys are scaring me. Alas, I have updates! First the engine ones and then we'll move on to the ...
    greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '93 Cadillac SDV

Re: 1984 Coupe DeVille Engine Swap!

^You guys are scaring me.

Alas, I have updates! First the engine ones and then we'll move on to the heavy-line.

First off, I stole the TBI return spring from the HT4100 and stuck it to the carb. I also painted and installed my valve-cover breather. That will hook to my air cleaner assembly once installed.

I also installed my PCV valve and my heater-core hose-pipe. Thanks for the adapter idea, CS. It worked perfectly!

My AC system is slowly going back together. I wouldn't have ANY idea if it weren't for you guys! I also put in the little piece of hose that goes between the thermostat housing spigot and the water pump. No idea what that spigot does, but it is now connected nonetheless.

I forgot to take a picture of my starter (I need to go and buy another bolt, as it is currently held in with just one). In it's place is a picture of my fuel-block. This is how i'm going to get away with not running a regulator and using the stock electric fuel pump. (Evil laughter is so hard to transfer to a computer, but you guys get the idea, right?)

Now, the big thing I did today was separate the 200-4r from the HT4100. It went rather smashingly, if I do say so myself. Six bolts and a prybar later and it popped right off.

The torque-converter was a total bitch to remove. Two of the the three bolts started stripping, and it took me about an hour to fully remove the thing.

But, it finally came off once I got a better grip on the bolts. I was soooo happy to see it pop off of there.

The flywheel is removed with by undoing three star-pattern bolts. This came off so much easier than the stupid torque-converter. I'll be re-using the TC with my Olds' flexplate. I LOVE BOP applications.

Lastly for tonight, three engines means three times the power, right?

I also have a question. The HT's engine mounts won't fit the Olds (the ones that bolt to the engine). And the Olds engine mounts won't fit the HT/Diesel Olds' frame mounts. That's my last big hurdle. Does anybody have a picture of their frame mounts? I need to know what kind to find. Thanks guys!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Since one engine is a 4100, it's really only 2&1/4 engines.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Are the frame mounts too big for the olds engine mounts? If so, maybe the frame mounts from a 307 optioned caddy will work.

gillianwhittaker@xtr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 86 f/wood brougham 307, 77 f/wood

you are progressing at an envious rate . envious of the large work space too.

Is that teflon thread around the threads going into the fuel block .I may be cautious of that but get another opinion .

mike

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    Who, in a post apocalyptic wasteland, wouldn't have a well stocked armory. I can't wait for 2011, so this game can finally be done with and I can start a new one. I just can't decide if I want it to end in a nuclear holocaust or an invasion of reanimated corpses.
    I don't think we will see an Apocalypse any time soon. Glad we got to see more of this engine though.

Quote Originally Posted by gillianwhittaker@xtr View Post
    you are progressing at an envious rate . envious of the large work space too.

Is that teflon thread around the threads going into the fuel block .I may be cautious of that but get another opinion .

mike
    Yes, I must say I rather wish I had a workspace to swap engines and park my car when nothing devious was being conducted there.

csbuckn - That is EXACTLY the problem. The frame mounts are too big for the Olds engine mounts. You wouldn't happen to have a set of the Olds frame mounts, would you? PM me if so. Thanks!

gillian - It's not Teflon Tape, but close to it. It's a liquid thread sealer that you squeeze onto the threads. Works very nicely. Why might I want to be cautious of that? Also, my parents are AWESOME and let me back the cars out of the garage to work in there. They rock!

Dullahan - Thanks for the kind words. IT WILL BE IN THE CAR BETWEEN NOW AND TUESDAY. That's how long I have my teacher's engine hoist.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

Right meow!

I'll update this further after work with pics, but one thing might have been bolted to another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by greencadillacmatt View Post
    I'll update this further after work with pics, but one thing might have been bolted to another thing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7FFjUpVLg"]YouTube- yello music video- oooooh yeah[/ame]

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    Love that song and video, I never had any association with that song outside of a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT Spyder California and Duff beer.

Ok, so bigger progress has been made. It's not in the car yet, but that should be Monday or Tuesday.

First off, the engine came off the stand.

Then the flexplate from the 307 (which is the same as the 350's but has more holes) got bolted to the back of it.

After that went on, some torque was converted.

Literally less than one second (no exaggeration) after I finished tightening the TC the chain holding the engine slipped, and the whole works came slamming down right where my hand was. Fortunately the tire I had set the engine on caught it and it didn't smash the oil pan. Scared the crap out of me.

This was after my little brother helped me lift the trans up. It clunked right into place like it had always been there.

Hard at work?

Here is the finished product of the day.

One word of advice about the trans. When you use the trans from an HT4100 car and plan to put it on an Olds engine like I did, the bellhousing bolts WILL NOT work from the HT. The length of the bolts is correct, but the threads are wrong. I got my bolts from the local hardware store. They are the same length, but are the thread of the Olds holes.

Tomorrow I will get the engine mounts sorted out. I'll be using the HT4100 engine and frame mounts. I'm going to have to drill the HT engine mounts out in one spot, but other than that they should work fine. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks guys!

LowCadillac81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 81 Coupe,87 Fleet

nice work

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

We demand video!

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

looks good man

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.