500 CID swap: Building the '79 Cadillac that should have been - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 500 CID swap: Building the '79 Cadillac that should have been in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Distributor is in. Man, the car is a beast now. Mash the gas and she hunches backwards for just a ...
    bicentennialcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '76 Fleetwood Brougham, '79 Sedan deVille

Re: 500 CID swap: Building the '79 Cadillac that should have been

Distributor is in. Man, the car is a beast now. Mash the gas and she hunches backwards for just a split second and then wooooooosh. Highly recommend the MSD from MTS.

As promised, pics ...

Open element air cleaner and true duals are up next.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Why go with the open element? Isn't your current setup technically better, since it seems to be drawing air in from outside behind the grille, which would be colder than under-hood air?

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I've always wondered this, but what does that small hockey puck looking thing on the air intake snorkel do? My 1991 has the same sort of air cleaner setup, I'm guessing its some sort of emissions control device since I never see it on pre 1971 cars.

bicentennialcadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '76 Fleetwood Brougham, '79 Sedan deVille

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Why go with the open element? Isn't your current setup technically better, since it seems to be drawing air in from outside behind the grille, which would be colder than under-hood air?
    It's also drawing in hot air via the "hockey puck," which appears to be intended to draw hot air off the exhaust manifolds back into the intake.

Really I just want to be able to hear that intake better at WOT.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

The hockey puck is a vacuum valve for cold starts. After the TVS reaches operating temperure, it allows vacuum to the valve which shuts the door to the hot air coming off the manifolds.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

nice, I wanna get one of these distributors for my 69 caddy. what was the price range on one of these things? :O

BigPoppaD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
    Last time I swapped a 425 oil pan onto a 472, I had to shorten the pickup support owing to the longer caps on the 472. Seems Cadillac saved some weight by making the block even more thinwall, and even making the main caps smaller overall.

And I had no problems with clearance, but, again, it was a 472.

Oh, yeah, great build, and, true, an easy way to get a LOT more torque!

Cosmo
    I'm prepping a 472 to drop into my 78. Are fitting issues the reason for the oil pan swap?

Never mind, found out the sump of the pan is in different locations. Good info

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by deVille33 View Post
    The hockey puck is a vacuum valve for cold starts. After the TVS reaches operating temperure, it allows vacuum to the valve which shuts the door to the hot air coming off the manifolds.
    So I was right, it is an emissions control device. Helps the car warm up faster, carb cars run pig rich when they're cold, thus more emissions.

casciomichael is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Sedan DeVille, 1978 Coupe DeVille (Project Car)

How many degrees of base timing? Also what are the timing specs as far as Vaccum advance and total timing at WOT with this distributor?

I like what you did with the car, keep it stock looking under the hood. I will have to post a pic of my dual snorkel cadillac air cleaner that I made. Looks stock but gives extra flow.

Thanks,
    Mike

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Nice thread. Figured i'd add a little bit of info with a 472/500 swap into the 77-92 caddies. If you drop in a 472/500 you can either reuse the existing 425 exhaust manifolds or you can use the 472/500 exhaust manifolds with slight modifications to the passenger side. The a-arm bolt needs to be trimed down a little to clear the 472/500 passenger side exhaust manifold. Also you need to grind the a-arm a bit for clearance issues. While the exhaust manifolds are being resurfaced at the machine shop you can have them mill off 3/8ths of an inch from the front landing on the passenger side of the exhaust manifold for clearance. The 472/500 exhaust manifolds are not as restrictive as the 425 exhaust manifolds. The idea of milling the exhaust manifold landing was thought up by Dave Menard from the MTS forum. Here are a couple of pics from my 78 fleetwood. One is a pic of when I learned the hard way and did the swap without milling the front landing and as you can see the a-arm hits the exhaust manifold bolt. The 2nd pic shows the front landing of the exhaust manifold milled down so the bolt clears the a-arm.

Attachment 81829

PDC_2475.JPG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.