Front end work and suggestions on my 91
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Front end work and suggestions on my 91 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As of yesterday I started taking apart the front end. I've decided that I am going to replace most everything ...
    mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

Front end work and suggestions on my 91

As of yesterday I started taking apart the front end. I've decided that I am going to replace most everything under there. Reason being is the front wheels have a lot of play in them in all directions. I will be getting new ball joints, tie rod ends(inner and outer) center link, idler arm, and new bushings for the sway bar where it attaches to the frame. I will be sandblasting the control arms and painting them in a color i don't know yet. I also just replaced my brakes with new Calipers, rotors, and pads. What color do you guys think I should paint everything and or which parts should I paint what color? This is the progress I've made so far. After doing the brakes I then decided to work on the other stuff a few days later. O well, at least everything will come apart easier for the brakes now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

Re: Front end work and suggestions on my 91

I always paint everything under the car semi-flat black. It wears well and I don't usually clean under there. You'll see imperfections easier with colors, but it would look cool if you're going to maintain it. Does the motor have any color to it? You could do it to match, if so.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

can you match the color of the car?

Yes I can match the color of the car.

Well I have finally got everything off that I wanted to Yesterday!

I separated the Upper Ball joint and this is what happened. I only unbolted the bottom of the shock thinking that it would slide through the lower control arm. Guess not, so it broke the shock. which sucks because i just replaced them the end of last year.

For the passenger side i removed the shock this time.

Here's all the tie rods, center link, idler arm and steering damper.

With much effort I was able to get the spring out. I had to wrestle with it because, the control arm bushings are really bad. And they did not want to move at all.

Here is all the stuff removed from the drivers side. Upper and lover control arms, spring, (broken) shock, Spindle and brake caliper. Unfortunately The speed sensor was broken on this side, due to the sway bar end link snapping some time ago. At least i think it is the speed sensor?

I will take more pictures today. I got to dark for picture time when we finished last night.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

front end looks naked! can't wait to see the finished product

OK, as of yesterday I got almost all my new parts! I decided on getting new control arms. It was cheaper to buy new ones than rather to replace all the bushings and ball joints. So as of yesterday I have both upper control arms, all inner and outer tie rods, adjustable sleeves, Idler arm, new springs, 1 new shock( i broke the drivers side, but they covered it under warranty), and a steering damper. The rest of the parts will be in on Friday! which consist of Lower control arms, center link, sway bar frame bushings, and 2 wheel speed sensors as one has been broke for who knows how long, and I broke the other one. Now for some pics.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

ooooh. looks good man, keep us updated.

And if you don't mind me asking, what was the final cost of this? Only asking because I want to do this to my '87 this summer if I have time/money between working on the '69

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Clean and paint that frame while you can get to it. You will also want to paint the rotor hat to prevent rusting. I use a "Cast" finish paint that looks natural.

Nice write up! I am deeming this worthy of the FAQ sticky

So far I have spent about $700 and will probably spent about another $600. That's including the brakes as well. I know it sounds like a lot, but I look at it this way. If i were to pay someone to do this It would cost double. Also most of this stuff was original to the car with no maintenance done to it for the last 10 years except for oil changes, and me accidentally braking some parts (speed sensor) which is a $92 dollar part times 2 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Clean and paint that frame while you can get to it. You will also want to paint the rotor hat to prevent rusting. I use a "Cast" finish paint that looks natural.

Nice write up! I am deeming this worthy of the FAQ sticky
    What is a rotor hat? also where can I get this paint and what exactly is it? I have a paint shop called Premier Paint that can probably supply me with all the paint I need. So they should have anything I want for paint selection. And thank you for the positive comment!

cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Good ol' grunt work. I hate changing control arm bushings and I was just getting ready to do a set for my little Seville. I am going to look into buying some new ones now. Nice write up; your car is guaranteed to ride beautiful now.

The rotor hat is the part that the lugs stick out of. On my brake jobs that I care about (especially where you can see the brakes through spokes), I paint the rotor hat and vanes so they don't rust. I tape off the braking surface with wide masking tape, and just use a file to cut it off the edge.

You can get the kind of paint I am talking about at any parts or hardware store. Another good choice is barbeque paint. I like something that looks like it isn't painted, but actually is. Here's one type:

I got some more done, I've been waiting for parts all this time. But they should all be in by this Thursday.

I used a self etching primer.

I could not find Cast Blast at my local O'reilys so I ended up getting dupli-color Wrinkled finish.

We used a heat gun to help the drying process because it was kinda cold outside.

Looks great so far!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.