1970 Climate Control Troubleshoot / Specifications?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1970 Climate Control Troubleshoot / Specifications? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Greetings All, I've been a site member for a few months, but a 1970 DeVille owner for 18 years. I ...
    DeadEd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 DeVille

1970 Climate Control Troubleshoot / Specifications?

Greetings All,

I've been a site member for a few months, but a 1970 DeVille owner for 18 years. I have a rust bucket DeVille that is generally mechanically sound. Everything usually works as designed. Due to storage issues, I didn't drive my beast much this year, and when the weather turned cold, not at all. I now have a no-heat problem (all functions of the auto climate control worked fine until now...at least as long as the A/C would hold a charge). The power servo is not getting a vacuum signal to switch from MAX A/C to heat (works fine when I induce vacuum with a pump). All other functions controlled by the climate control unit are properly functioning. I've run the problem back to the climate control unit and transducer, and am now in search of specifications that will help me solve the problem. Does anyone know of, or can point me to the output voltage range of the amplifier in the temperature control circuit and to a table of vacuum output values from the transducer per given input voltage from the amplifier? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

albymangled is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 calais coupe

Re: 1970 Climate Control Troubleshoot / Specifications?

ok I just spent awhile looking in my shop manuals AC section....gee, its bit complex..(and totally new to me).

I came across this...

there are also some diagrams (some with resistance ratings for certain components) but no "tables" etc...

DeadEd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 DeVille

Thanks for the response. I spent some time last night reading the shop manual too. There are some specifications (and a troubleshoot procedure) for the amplifier and transducer of the rear A/C installed on the commercial limo chassis, but nothing on the A/C for the other chassis. I should be able to translate much of the troubleshoot procedure to my DeVille, but am still left wondering whether the amplifier and transducer specs are similar. If nothing else, I'll try those and hope I get lucky.

I found today that CadillacTim's sells an automatic climate control repair manual at about $50. I'm hesitant to purchase at that price without having an idea of how detailed it is. The good thing is that he sells reconditioned transducers at about $50 too, so I have options. I also know a great boneyard about an hour from here that has a few cars with the climate control modules intact...I guess it is time to plan a trip out there in a few weeks.

I'm stubborn though and really would like to take a crack a fixing what I have, so if anyone has specs or ideas, I'd still love to hear them. To repeat, I'm at the point where the problem has been narrowed down to an electrical issue within the temperature control circuit.

Since I've already been through the rest of the system, I'll be glad to share what I've learned with anyone chasing down climate control issues on '69s and '70s.

So Ed, you are looking at the factory shop manual for 1970 (if so then I cant offer much else....it's all I have and I'm a complete noob when it comes to AC)?

I might add though that it was very interesting reading....

with a 40 year old AC car you just know it's only a matter of time before I'll need to know..

I too found Tim's AC manuals with a Google...

and of course there is always Fleabay...

Speaking of Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-CA...#ht_3012wt_939

but the diagram shown is no more than I have in the factory manual and I have had mixed results with "pdf" manuals on CD thru the Bay before...

Modifyit15 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 coupe deville

I know it's kind of a late post but if your temp dial is at 75 degrees or at its most center. Then you voltage on the rear most solder point to the right of the amplifier located on the control unit, it should be a black with white striped wire soldered to that point. It should be at 5.5v - 6.5v if not then you need to calibrate your dial. If its right then you are right the transducer is bad

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.