White...or Blue?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Blue...or White?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue

50 80.65%
  • White

12 19.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, White...or Blue? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Final mechanicals have been completed on my '69 FWB, and now it's time to begin the long-awaited paint and body ...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

White...or Blue?

Final mechanicals have been completed on my '69 FWB, and now it's time to begin the long-awaited paint and body work. The car will remain 1969 color 26--Athenian Blue. The decision is about the vinyl top. The car currently has a white top in an incorrect grain and seam pattern. The combination with the blue is striking, but it's not a standard factory choice on this model for this year. My car originally had a blue top, according to the body data plate (the other standard factory choice with Athenian Blue is black----blech!)

So, I'd welcome opinions. Blue, or white? Here's some pics to give you an idea of what the car would look like either way.

This is a 1970 model, but you get the idea. Blue is a lot easier to care for, but it does make the car look very formal. Then again, it is a formal car.

This is my car as she is now. The white makes the car look smaller IMO, but also "happier". White's a bitch to keep looking good, though.

So, fellow forum denizens, what shall it be? Blue? Or White?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

Re: White...or Blue?

Blue. Go original.

Plus, as you said, it's a hell of a lot easier to care for.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I'd say blue. BTW, nice 69. My 69 Calais is the same color, but the paint isn't nearly as nice as yours. I will be respraying it this spring, but don't think I will keep it athena blue. I wanna go lighter, like a saphire fire mist or whatever.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

The blue is beautiful! The white would be nice if the windows weren't tinted and it had a white interior. Then you'd have to sell it to me!!

LOL Dave! Well, windows definitely won't be tinted, but white would require going to leather, which would mean a whole new seat pattern. I'm really enjoying rockin' the cloth interior. Never had one before. All my cars have had leather before this one.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

A Cadillac sedan doesn't look good unless it's wearing formal colors.

A Cadillac sedan doesn't look good unless it's wearing tropical colors.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    LOL Dave! Well, windows definitely won't be tinted, but white would require going to leather, which would mean a whole new seat pattern. I'm really enjoying rockin' the cloth interior. Never had one before. All my cars have had leather before this one.
    Triple blue will be sexy. So you have cloth?! What does it look like? I really like the cloth on the Fleetwood Brougham pictured in the 1969 Cadillac brochure. Does yours look like that?? I love totally love your car and I can't wait to see it with the new vinyl!

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    A Cadillac sedan doesn't look good unless it's wearing tropical colors.
    Would you trust a man in a white suit... or a canary yellow, crushed velvet suit for that matter.

A Fleetwood always has to look like it going to a funeral; just like a bank manager or a corporate president. The Sedan de Ville is a little less formal, so yeah you could go more "tropical;" business casual if you will. There's nothing formal about a Coupe de Ville or an Eldorado, so upscale party colors are applicable.

Contrasting colors generally look better on Coupes, but looking back on it; it wouldn't be so bad to have a contrast top on a Fleetwood. I personally would go with more of a softer "off" white or a light tan. Harsh contrasts can detract from the overall beauty of the vehicle because they draw too much attention.

-And that's Sven's guide to fashion and automobiles-

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Triple blue will be sexy. So you have cloth?! What does it look like? I really like the cloth on the Fleetwood Brougham pictured in the 1969 Cadillac brochure. Does yours look like that?? I love totally love your car and I can't wait to see it with the new vinyl!
    No, I have the all-cloth interior in the fabric pictured for the Sixty Special in the catalogue. It's a really nice fabric, very soft to the touch, and I love the pique stitch embroidery on the cushions. It's a very formal car, but it's also really awesome. She's gonna be stunning when she's all finished.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Oh Boy! I love the interior you're talking about too! That is soooo cool! One of my all time favorite Cadillacs - the 69 FWBH! Do you have a picture of the interior? I can't wait to see your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    Would you trust a man in a white suit... or a canary yellow, crushed velvet suit for that matter.

A Fleetwood always has to look like it going to a funeral; just like a bank manager or a corporate president. The Sedan de Ville is a little less formal, so yeah you could go more "tropical;" business casual if you will. There's nothing formal about a Coupe de Ville or an Eldorado, so upscale party colors are applicable.

Contrasting colors generally look better on Coupes, but looking back on it; it wouldn't be so bad to have a contrast top on a Fleetwood. I personally would go with more of a softer "off" white or a light tan. Harsh contrasts can detract from the overall beauty of the vehicle because they draw too much attention.

-And that's Sven's guide to fashion and automobiles-
    Sven, If you can't show up at a formal event in a bright colored luxo-boat car then you're not LIVING! You may as well go to a funeral..

Wait until you see the professional cars I have in mind for my funeral business when it opens in the coming years - they will knock your socks off! THERE WILL BE YELLOW! Well, maybe not yellow but something memorable and different!

Fleetwoods + Lively colors = FUN! I'll take a triple white, triple yellow, red/white/white, any kind of teal or aqua - especially with a white interior.

Blue jeans to tuxedo a Cadillac of any flavor can do it all!

Your wish is my command.

All this will have to be redone, because the weatherstripping is gone and over time, water has damaged the fabric. In general, the car was severely neglected for many years before I bought it. Restoration has been and will be very expensive. Mechanically, the car is done. Everything is working as it should. The body work will be the real killer, because there's so much rust and body rot from the car's former life in Wisconsin. The body guy who's going to do the work flat out asked if I was sure I wanted to do this. LOL! In for a penny, in for a pound!

My retired business partner once told me: "Dave, learn to live with a little imperfection in your life!" Oh how true it is! I like your interior! It's whole and whatever damage you see (or imagine? ) adds nice character to the battle scars of life on the road and in the garage that your car has lived. I know you live in California, where natural hard earned grit is airbrushed in favor of the idyllic optimal artificiality of the endless chase to ageless perfection, so I know you know how it will look right to you. All part of the fun and you have to do what makes you smile

caddeville89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Brougham; 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood

Yeah, hard call to make here. They both look pretty good overall. I would personally like the darker color better, but that's my personality. (No, not Goth; just like my cars to be darker.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.