Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Blue...or White?

33K views 202 replies 34 participants last post by  02603sec 
#1 ·
Final mechanicals have been completed on my '69 FWB, and now it's time to begin the long-awaited paint and body work. The car will remain 1969 color 26--Athenian Blue. The decision is about the vinyl top. The car currently has a white top in an incorrect grain and seam pattern. The combination with the blue is striking, but it's not a standard factory choice on this model for this year. My car originally had a blue top, according to the body data plate (the other standard factory choice with Athenian Blue is black----blech!)

So, I'd welcome opinions. Blue, or white? Here's some pics to give you an idea of what the car would look like either way.

This is a 1970 model, but you get the idea. Blue is a lot easier to care for, but it does make the car look very formal. Then again, it is a formal car.

This is my car as she is now. The white makes the car look smaller IMO, but also "happier". White's a bitch to keep looking good, though.

So, fellow forum denizens, what shall it be? Blue? Or White?

See less See more
#133 ·
Well, as Ray already knows, I finally switched body shops about 2 months ago. The seats had been redone (quite beautifully, I might add), and I had no car to put them in. So, with the help of the upholsterer (great older guy), I got a new body shop. The new guy did a thorough inventory and discovered a goodly portion of the trim was missing, as well as a few more critical items. After spending a month and more searching for a parts car, I gave up, bit the bullet, and bought the missing parts piecemeal. Most fortunately, there's a business just down the street from the body shop that deals in nothing but old Cadillac parts. Two whole wherehouses full of every part you can imagine for every Cadillac built from the late 1940s up to about 2000. :drool:

So, reassembly is proceeding, after which the interior goes together. With any luck, Babe will be back together in time to see 2013 in. All y'all keep your fingers crossed! :)

#136 · (Edited)
The new guy did a thorough inventory and discovered a goodly portion of the trim was missing, as well as a few more critical items.
I was afraid it could happen. It uses to take place in long, long resto processes :nono: Maybe the first shop guy didn´t want to face it and was delaying that day... Or maybe he did not even care or know it. :helpless:

Anyway, I´m glad to know this issue is unclogged and now it´s flowing quickly to the end. Good to know you finally found the missing parts (Fortunately for us 223,267 cadillacs were made for 1969 -except for Eldorado- (though only 17,300 FWB and 2,545 Sixty specials :ill:) Hope the missing items were not specific of your model as they are rarer and more expensive.

The key in these cases is dealing with a serious person (like the upholsterer) that likes doing his job with these old cars. Let´s wait I don´t have to swallow my words when I get some body flaws fixed :lol:

Looking forward to see pics :bouncy:

----------

Nice. Good to see you got it to somebody thats excited to have it. The parts warehouse you type of, do you have a name or a website for them?
+1 :drool:

#139 ·
Brief update. I've been buying up the parts the last body shop lost, and the new body shop's mechanic has been sorting things out and putting things back in operational order. I stopped by today to check up on the progress. She's not quite there, but she's looking more like a real car these days.

#145 ·
That´s absolutely fantastic!!! :thumbsup: I´m really glad you finally got finished your '69. Now, just a few details and you´ll enjoy again the pleasure of driving a '69 caddy.

It´s very gratifying for me seeing that color so similar to mine (at least on pics). I know you looked for the exact match and I don´t know how much effort to get the same was employed on my car.

Did you install new weather strips?

Congrats for that good resto ;)

#150 ·
I love watching what mechanics do to my cars -Never tired-. That makes me familiar with the secrets the cars hide inside :) Not everyone likes being watched; I hope your shop guy does not care.

----------

Checked up on her again today. Let's just say I'm really glad I changed body shops. The mechanic had her up on the lift, and there were all sorts of wild and wacky things the last guy did that made her frankly unsafe at any speed. :eek:
:ill:You took the right decision taking your car away from that shop. I have the impression that guy didn´t know what he had in his hands

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.