Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Blue...or White?

33K views 202 replies 34 participants last post by  02603sec 
#1 ·
Final mechanicals have been completed on my '69 FWB, and now it's time to begin the long-awaited paint and body work. The car will remain 1969 color 26--Athenian Blue. The decision is about the vinyl top. The car currently has a white top in an incorrect grain and seam pattern. The combination with the blue is striking, but it's not a standard factory choice on this model for this year. My car originally had a blue top, according to the body data plate (the other standard factory choice with Athenian Blue is black----blech!)

So, I'd welcome opinions. Blue, or white? Here's some pics to give you an idea of what the car would look like either way.

This is a 1970 model, but you get the idea. Blue is a lot easier to care for, but it does make the car look very formal. Then again, it is a formal car.

This is my car as she is now. The white makes the car look smaller IMO, but also "happier". White's a bitch to keep looking good, though.

So, fellow forum denizens, what shall it be? Blue? Or White?

See less See more
#100 ·
Good things continue to happen! I stopped by today to find the car is in........

...........THE PAINT BOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Remember all the rot and crud around the backlight?

FIXED!

The first coat of primer went on while I was there. Gentlemen, I give you...the Roowood Brougham. :lol:

Keep thinking happy thoughts. It seems to be helping! :D

#113 ·
It's amazing in person, an exact match for the factory color chip in the 1969 data book. It has so much more depth and pop than the plain dark blue it had when I bought it, with subtle undertones of green in the blue. It really lights up in the sun! It's going to look totally awesome after it's been wet sanded and sandwiched. :)

#120 ·
Wow...totally worth the wait!
Thanks, guys! :)

^ I shivered when I read that. :)

I would be more of an alcoholic than I am if I were waiting that long for my car to get out of prison. It will be the celebration of all time when this much anticipated 1969 Fleetwood Brougham is completed and back on the road. :)
I really don't know how you could be without your car for so long craig. At this rate, my car will be "finished" (on the road with a completed interior) before yours is. Oddly, its been harder having my car at the shop for 6 months than it was to have it sit in my backyard for over a year. I can't imagine having my car sit at a shop for 2 years.
It helps that I have the 77 to keep me entertained :) , and I keep in mind that both the 69 and the 77 are toys, not my daily transportation. Not that I haven't missed having the 69 to enjoy, but I'd rather see the job done right than push just to have it done, and have it done slipshod. That said, restoring one of these cars is not something I'd do again. It's 'spensive! :lol:

All good things come for those who wait.

Why is it that when you buy a caddy, you want every other slick one that catches you eye.

Like having a hot girlfriend, but still staring at every tail that crosses your path.
Tell me! I've seen so many Cadillacs these past couple years that I was like, "damn, if I wasn't restoring that Fleetwood, I could totally buy that!"

#118 ·
I really don't know how you could be without your car for so long craig. At this rate, my car will be "finished" (on the road with a completed interior) before yours is. Oddly, its been harder having my car at the shop for 6 months than it was to have it sit in my backyard for over a year. I can't imagine having my car sit at a shop for 2 years.

#123 ·
Why is it that when you buy a caddy, you want every other slick one that catches you eye.

Like having a hot girlfriend, but still staring at every tail that crosses your path.
Like I always said about fidelity when I was married. Just because you have a Chevy in the garage, doesn't mean you can't enjoy driving a Ferrari once in a while. :sneaky:

#121 ·
leatherandwood said:
All good things come for those who wait.

Good things may come to those who wait, but only the things left over by those who hustle.

Chase your dreams and make it happen! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.