Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Blue...or White?

33K views 202 replies 34 participants last post by  02603sec 
#1 ·
Final mechanicals have been completed on my '69 FWB, and now it's time to begin the long-awaited paint and body work. The car will remain 1969 color 26--Athenian Blue. The decision is about the vinyl top. The car currently has a white top in an incorrect grain and seam pattern. The combination with the blue is striking, but it's not a standard factory choice on this model for this year. My car originally had a blue top, according to the body data plate (the other standard factory choice with Athenian Blue is black----blech!)

So, I'd welcome opinions. Blue, or white? Here's some pics to give you an idea of what the car would look like either way.

This is a 1970 model, but you get the idea. Blue is a lot easier to care for, but it does make the car look very formal. Then again, it is a formal car.

This is my car as she is now. The white makes the car look smaller IMO, but also "happier". White's a bitch to keep looking good, though.

So, fellow forum denizens, what shall it be? Blue? Or White?

See less See more
#36 ·
Sting is funny. :) Nearly every thread on this forum gets littered with his demands for photos yet he rarely posts pictures himself, not that I want to see non-Cadillac pictures. :) His FL meet pictures showing almost no cars, no people and tens of thousands of pictures of zoo animals was classic, and I don't think he posted any more even after severe cajoling. :)

#37 ·
Yeah, he's a Weirdo. I hope he gets some good photos of the Jacksonville thing, whether or NOT I make it there. I thought Matt had more photos from the West Palm thing too, though, not that it matters, because Matt is supposed to be providing us with photos of a 350-equipped Coupe.

#42 ·
OK, time for a minor update. First off, now I know why I hear things like "five year restoration". I'll literally have a birthday before this thing is finished. But, we have a rolling chassis! :woohoo:

Also, they've started cutting out the rust around the backlight.

Believe it or not, this is factory Fisher Body work. No wonder these cars rusted like the very devil under those vinyl tops.

Overall, though, there's still a long way to go. Wish the old girl well.

She's gonna need it.

#44 ·
You know, I was just pondering the status of this car and wanted to get you with a "This thread is worthless without pics" smiley, but I couldn't remember what the thread was titled.

I dare say this needs a more appropriate title "The Amazing Race - seeing if a man can outlive his car" (Or, I guess, just "77CDV's 1969 FWB Restoration"... your call).

#49 ·
And how does one change the title of an existed thread? Also, clear your inbox. Tried to PM you and your box is full! :p

those pics look scary, but good! glad some limited progress was made.

What's the hold up? funds or just a slow shop working on it? If it's the shop I would have my boot up their ass for progress! lol
The guy does great work. I've seen the finished product he puts out. When I was first talking with him about doing the car, he had just finished a '63 Series 62 Convertible, and it looked in-effing-credible. I probably should have asked the owner how long it took! :lol:

Craig, You're a very patient man. I hope you get your beloved car back sooner rather than later. I can't wait to see it in one piece, I love your car! :) Dave
Patience is a vice. :D

I totally forgot about your '69 being in the shop, Craig! It's cool that it's up to a rolling chassis, but I'd love to see it back together!
Wouldn't we all. How's your coupe coming along, btw?

#52 ·
Didn´t see this thread before, though you talked me about your long long restoration process. Although slow, it´s a progress. Maybe a kind pressure on the guy who´s doing the work could speed up process. My 69 SDV had vynil roof when new and now has some leak (and interior trim frame rust) by the lower part of the rear window. Those pics are scaring me.:ill:

BTW, if it was my car, BLUE. No doubt, for this kind of car is a must: Original, easier to keep and adds more value to your caddy.

When the work is finished, you´ll have the perfect `69 FWB and you´ll be the perfect caddy owner :thumbsup:

#54 ·
So glad you are taking the time and $$$ to do this restoration right Craig. So many people just bondo the crap out of stuff and do a cheap respray its sickening, especially on older cars not worth a lot(like our Caddys).

I'm sure it will be a show stopper when its all said and done, you don't ever see the formal limos at car shows, its always the Coupe Devilles and convertibles.

#60 ·
Holding pattern. Little things get done in fits and starts, but there hasn't been any major progress. While quite frustrating, there's little I can do about it. I suspect that when completion does finally happen, it will happen quickly. I would very much like to drive the car again. It's been well over a year now. :(

#63 ·
Although little, it´s a progress... If it was my case I´d go every week to the shop asking the artist lots of questions about the work progress... I´m not a patient man.

Maybe if you were in Spain things would go even worse: A friend of mine -a lawyer- had to sue the shop he had taken his classic to restore body, as 2 years passed and he had not even started the process... The shop immediately started and finished the work...

Anyway, when the shop decides it´s time to finish your car, I´d bet it will be ready in less than two months, and you´ll forget the long time spent in the restoration. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.