Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Blue...or White?

33K views 202 replies 34 participants last post by  02603sec 
#1 ·
Final mechanicals have been completed on my '69 FWB, and now it's time to begin the long-awaited paint and body work. The car will remain 1969 color 26--Athenian Blue. The decision is about the vinyl top. The car currently has a white top in an incorrect grain and seam pattern. The combination with the blue is striking, but it's not a standard factory choice on this model for this year. My car originally had a blue top, according to the body data plate (the other standard factory choice with Athenian Blue is black----blech!)

So, I'd welcome opinions. Blue, or white? Here's some pics to give you an idea of what the car would look like either way.

This is a 1970 model, but you get the idea. Blue is a lot easier to care for, but it does make the car look very formal. Then again, it is a formal car.

This is my car as she is now. The white makes the car look smaller IMO, but also "happier". White's a bitch to keep looking good, though.

So, fellow forum denizens, what shall it be? Blue? Or White?

See less See more
#5 ·
LOL Dave! Well, windows definitely won't be tinted, but white would require going to leather, which would mean a whole new seat pattern. I'm really enjoying rockin' the cloth interior. Never had one before. All my cars have had leather before this one.

#8 ·
Triple blue will be sexy. :) So you have cloth?! What does it look like? I really like the cloth on the Fleetwood Brougham pictured in the 1969 Cadillac brochure. Does yours look like that?? I love totally love your car and I can't wait to see it with the new vinyl! :)

#9 ·
Would you trust a man in a white suit... or a canary yellow, crushed velvet suit for that matter.

A Fleetwood always has to look like it going to a funeral; just like a bank manager or a corporate president. The Sedan de Ville is a little less formal, so yeah you could go more "tropical;" business casual if you will. There's nothing formal about a Coupe de Ville or an Eldorado, so upscale party colors are applicable.

Contrasting colors generally look better on Coupes, but looking back on it; it wouldn't be so bad to have a contrast top on a Fleetwood. I personally would go with more of a softer "off" white or a light tan. Harsh contrasts can detract from the overall beauty of the vehicle because they draw too much attention.

-And that's Sven's guide to fashion and automobiles-

#13 ·
Your wish is my command.

All this will have to be redone, because the weatherstripping is gone and over time, water has damaged the fabric. In general, the car was severely neglected for many years before I bought it. Restoration has been and will be very expensive. Mechanically, the car is done. Everything is working as it should. The body work will be the real killer, because there's so much rust and body rot from the car's former life in Wisconsin. The body guy who's going to do the work flat out asked if I was sure I wanted to do this. LOL! In for a penny, in for a pound! :lol:

#14 ·
My retired business partner once told me: "Dave, learn to live with a little imperfection in your life!" Oh how true it is! I like your interior! It's whole and whatever damage you see (or imagine? :) ) adds nice character to the battle scars of life on the road and in the garage that your car has lived. I know you live in California, where natural hard earned grit is airbrushed in favor of the idyllic optimal artificiality of the endless chase to ageless perfection, so I know you know how it will look right to you. :) All part of the fun and you have to do what makes you smile :)

#19 ·
Gotta have the blue top IMO. Although I am a bit biased when it comes to triple blue cars.

I think a white top would be great if you had matching white leather though. But all of that is a bit to flashy for a Fleetwood though. The Fleetwood just exudes formality IMO, and its kind of tacky to do it up in wild colors, big grills, contrasting tops, crazy wheels, etc. That stuff looks great on Coupe Devilles and Eldorados though

#22 ·
I would go with blue, it is by FAR the classier colour and the white (I think) would look kind of bad, not BAD, but just that it doesn't accentuate the car as well as it could, this is actually part of how humanity naturally perceives things. That is why most things that come in a "plain" colour are actually white or close to it. That is also why black naturally looks sleek and attractive and part of the reason (on auto-related terms) why white cars always cost less. Not to get into psychology...

Have you considered that you could also do her up in a slightly DIFFERENT shade of blue?

#23 ·
I thought about changing colors. My favorite would be Sapphire Blue Firemist, but it's a very bright blue and not really suited to a Fleetwood (would look killer on a CDV or convertible, though). Now, if I was feeling really wild and crazy, I could go for the total redo in Wisteria with white top and dark mauve Devereaux cloth and leather interior. Or not. :D

Triple dark blue is such a dignified scheme for a Fleetwood. Having the white top makes the car unique and eye-catching, and just fun to look at. I've just never been sure it's eye-catching in a good way.

#27 ·
Craig,

May I ask who did your steering wheel work?

Oh, and BLUE.
When I got the car, it still had it's original steering wheel with the busted rim-blow feature, so no horns. Not good. Pulled a 1970 steering wheel out of the junkyard and covered the rim with a leather cover from Pep Boys. 1970 used a conventional wheel where the horn acctuators are in the center padded section of the wheel. Once I hooked up the replacement wheel, the horns were completely operational. I've since added the optional high "C" trumpet horn to give the car the proper Cadillac "voice".

The original wheel will be restored and returned to the car once interior restoration begins, hopefully later this year.

#29 ·
First off I have to say that is a nice car! I love it!

I personally like both tops, I think though I'm siding more towards blue for your particular car. It would be easier to manage.

However I do like a white top on certain models... for instance the "License to Drive" 1972 Cadillac... I don't care what others may say about the early 70's styles, I like them! Just a shame what happened to the Caddy in the movie, heh.

http://imcdb.org/images/001/224.jpg

Sorry I got off topic... *coughs* Anyway yeah blue for your top I'd say.

#35 ·
Sting, you're a nut. A good one...a great one even...but still a nut. When and if I ever get the several upgrades done to my car, which are the engine swap and body restoration (And a top secret interior mod that I may not do for a LONG time due to the difficulty in finding exactly what I want) I will not tell any of you until it's done, just so you and your "WORTHLESS" emoticon cannot bombard my nonsensical thread.

Fill your boots Craig, I can't wait to see her when she's done. Hopefully in person someday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.