Is there an easy steering box adjustment?(79 deville)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Is there an easy steering box adjustment?(79 deville) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When I first got the car, I wanted the steering to be a little tighter, so I asked my mechanic ...
    caddydave2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1992 Sedan Deville

Is there an easy steering box adjustment?(79 deville)

When I first got the car, I wanted the steering to be a little tighter, so I asked my mechanic if he could do that. He said it was an easy adjustment on the steering box, and did it for me. WHile now, after Ive replaced alot of components, and tires, its too sensitive for my tastes. if I turn the wheel ever so slightly in either direction, it goes in that direction immediately, so It can be tough to keep the car driving straight with natural steering wheel movement. Is there something I can do that will ease up the sensitivity, and allow me to move the wheel slightly without the car immediately going in those directions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Re: Is there an easy steering box adjustment?(79 deville)

I've been wondering the same thing with my 87...interested to hear the answers

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I was wondering about this also. mine is way too sloppy right now. I couldnt find anything on the internet about it either. Looking at the steering box, I couldnt see any way to fix it but I have to be missing something.

Well, worse case guys, I will take it back to the mechanic who originally adjusted the box and ask him how he does it. (if we dont get a response on here.) I believe the correct adjustment on these should allow a little slop to where while driving, you should be able to (picture the wheel as a clock) steer the wheel from 59-01 (minutes) without the car wanting to go left or right. Before the adjustment, i could go from say 57/58 to 02/03 and nothing would happen.(not responsive anough) But after he adjusted it,the car wants to change lanes practically when it reaches halfway between 59 or 01. WAY TO SENSITIVE.

Yup, I have that same problem. Just the natural play in the steering wheel makes the car go from line to line!

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Short version: you loosen the nut and on top of the box. Then, tighten the set screw a TINY little bit. Then, re-tighten the nut.

Long version

I'll find a picture... here we go:

oooooh nice picture. thanks jay

Thank you Jay! One question though, will tightening the screw make the steering more sensitive, and loosening make the steering sloppier??

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

according to the long version, tightening will make it more sensitive.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

The link to the resolution is dead now. I am curious about this subject, can anyone point me towards a full explanation? Pretty please?

Ben

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I'd be interested in this...my steering doesn't respond until 52-55/ 05-08 (minutes on a clock)....quite annoying.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The adjustment pictured usually only can be done ever so slightly. Any more and the steering gear will bind causing sticky steering.

One overlooked steering component is the "rag" joint. Many generous motors cars of this area had issues with that.

There's a black fiber looking disc near where the column marries the steering box.

Have an ass-is-tant rock the steering back and fourth about 15-20 degrees car off wheels on the ground.

Look for slop and worn parts which take grease.

Ball joint play on these cars must be checked with a floor jack under lower control arm.

Upper A frame bushings on worn cars will make steering wander and take corners off tires. Tyres if you are in GB.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Long time since I have been into a steering box. Three parts, a worm, a rack and a sector. The worm rides inside a rotory valve which increases pressure to the rack piston, which forces the rack and moves it along the sector. The adjustment is made on the sector shaft bushing located under top cover of the steering box. When you tighten the adjuster, you are moving the sector down into the rack, so there is less clearance.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

My alignment guy was explaining that when the steering coupler starts to wear, and I guess they all do, some play can develop in the steering wheel. He said a simple fix is to tighten the coupler but like Ape Man said that can lead to sticky steering.

I have the optional rear sway bar on my 1986 FWB, stock springs and replacement Delco shocks. I love the ride and the car handles amazingly well for its size. There is no play in the steering at speed, in fact it feels perfect. Still I have been thinking about installing a quicker steering gear which is an easy swap according to Tom Lee in California, who rebuilds them. He can do a core exchange to something like 2.8 turns lock-to-lock, which is what the Firebird TransAm had. If you pick the right s/box you can even keep the same turning circle you have now.

My concern is that I would end up with the opposite problem deVille33 is having i.e. too much sensitivity at speed (where even a small unintended tug at the wheel makes the car dart around and feel nervous).

I'm sure at parking lot speeds the quicker ratio would be fantastic and lead to less rowing about. I would want to keep plenty of power steering assist as that's one of the things that makes this big car so effortless to drive. But maybe that would feel weird with the quicker steering???

I suppose a quicker steering gear should be combined with thicker front and rear sway bars which wouldn't be a deal breaker. However having to go to stiffer springs and shocks would be unless there is some magic combo that can improve the handling without sacrificing the ride. Maybe keep the springs but go with Bilsteins? Did I read somewhere that there is a "ride comfort" version of Bilsteins for these big cars?

Anyway if anyone has performed the steering gear swap please chime in with your experiences good and bad.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

I ran a Trans Am steering gear in my '81 CDV for years. My current 1980 Fleetwood Coupe comes from the factory with less lock to lock turns than garden variety cars. No problems at highway or any other speeds.

There are ways to increase caster beyond spec for more road feedback. I've done that on some of my Cadillacs too. My current ride still has the factory wheel alignment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.