Cadillac Owners Forum banner
222K views 699 replies 131 participants last post by  Dave7 
#1 ·
Anybody know a good source for some (cheaper) whitewall tires? I can't find any on tire-rack.com. I really like the Kelly Navigator Gold Series, but being a college kid with a movie-theater pay budget, I can't really afford them. They would be for the '84 DeVille. I'm not sure, but the tires on it may be origional. They aren't bald, but are starting to get down there. I was wondering if anybody has had good luck with these:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/deta...isVariant=false&corpCard=false&type=undefined
GOODYEAR VIVA 2
Yes, I know they are a wally world special, but people say they are a decent tire. Middle of the road reviews.
My old whitewalls will go on my '90 Brougham 'till I can get new ones (the fronts on there now are BAAAALD). Any tire input is greatly appreciated.

#206 ·
The wheel hub is always centered to the wheel studs. The holes in the rim, for the studs, are drilled in a specific pattern to match the orientation of the studs on the hub assembly. If the center of the rim was off center, the rim would be off balance in correlation to the hub assembly. Therefore, lug-centric balancing would produce a more accurate balance of the wheel.

#204 ·
But the steel rims have a countersink in each hole that "seat" with the acorn portion of the lug nuts. Thus centering the rim at each lug bolt.

If it was hub centric, then there wouldn't be a countersink within the steel rim and the rim side of the lug nut would be flat and/or have a washer that presses against the rim.

#215 · (Edited)
Well IMHO any car made from 1970 and on is a waste to own as a collector car.

There is a reason the Big Three ain't those three anymore, and it all began in '69.

That's when they began losing their touch. Good enough was the standard.

The front end of a 73 Deville looks no different than the front end of a 73 LTD.

And forget the 80's ugh. Genuine wood grain vinyl. The Cimarron!

A road rod like mine needs 5 spoke Supremes and Wide Whites. It ain't no grocery getter.

#221 ·
Well, got a new set of tires on order. Diamondback II's - 1.6" WW. The tires themselves are originally Yokohama AVID Touring-S - P235/75R15. But they shave the entire sidewall from bead to tread and then vulcanize on the 1.6" whitewall. I'm really pumped about these new tires. Should looks something like these (minus the branding on the side above the WW):

http://www.dbtires.com/2011_catalog/hi/12_II.htm

Interestingly, they also have a WW design that is much more like the original WW design that came on the car when it was new (1969). Its a stacked WW design with a larger WW stripe on the inside and smaller stripe on the outside. I debated getting those to stay more "original" (I'm looking at you CADFORCE69!) but I didn't think they looked good with hubcaps/rims other than the original "dog dish" style hubcaps. Link here:

http://www.dbtires.com/2011_catalog/hi/12_II_stack.htm

#222 ·
Very interesting!! I thought no one made nowadays this stacked style! They´re not cheap, at $ 229 but it´s an affordable luxury. I´ll remember it when I change my tires in 7 years.

You´re right. These WW fit perfectly the dog dish hubcaps but they are void in wire rim. 1.6 fits perfectly the wires.

#223 ·
I got my American Classic 1.6" whitewalls swapped with a set of Diamondback II's 1.6"... AMAZING!

The ride quality is night and day better. They are quieter and the cosmetics of the tire and WHITE wall are stunning.

Interestingly, the tire is actually a Yokohama AVID Touring-s that they modify into a custom whitewall. They did amazing and I'm really glad Discount Tire helped me get them swapped in.

#230 ·
I was just at my local Cadillac dealer trying to order tires. They are a Hankook authorized dealer. When he called to order me a set of P235 75R15 whitewalls for my 68 Eldorado, they told him "Sorry, discontinued. No more whitewalls". :eek:

My guy apologized and said I might be able to call some small tires shops and try to find some left overs.

WTF? Are we going to be left with just the ultra expensive Coker and Diamondback tires for our whitewall choices?

#232 ·
Pep Boys has the Hancock tires in stock. I live in Pittsburgh, and stopped at a local store to see them. I actually need them for my car in Florida, and I called down there, and they also have them in stock. They are having a sale until Sept 9 where if you buy 4, they rebate the cost of one tire back to you. 4 tires installed, after the rebate was under $400. Look up Pepboys online and go to a local store to see them. I am buying them next week when I go to Florida.

#233 · (Edited)
I bought whitewall Maxxis tires (I think it´s an USA make) last February for my caddy at a fair price (I live in Europe): http://www.classictyres.com/products/car-tyres/radial/15-inch?supplier=33 They are not discontinued yet; they even have new distributors here. In Europe we have not as many whitewall tire classics as in U.S. so I´m sure you´ll go on having different alternatives.

#235 ·
A few months back my brother was looking for white walls for his 72 Cadillac hearse and had a hard time finding white walls for it also. His should originally have had the dual white walls on it with the pencil thin inner stripe and the thicker outer stripe, but he didn't want to pay for the coker replicas, he just wanted a simple set of white walls. We found them at Discount in a 235/75/15 and they are Arizonians, mounted balanced out the door for five of them was about 500 bucks. He's put a few hundred miles on them so far and has been pleased with them. He took the car down to Hudson OH this past July in 90+ degree heat down the highway and never had an issue.

#236 ·
I bought the Coker Dual stripe Bias ply for my 74 Calais sedan. I returned all four of them as they were out of round and gave a very poor ride. I won't do that again. Even the tire shop said the Cokers were "Show tires for trailer queens".

I want something I can drive on at highway speeds if needed. Those Diamondbacks are radials and you can get them in dual stripes. But $229 a tire is wicked pricey. Four tires with shipping, mounting and balancing and you are over a grand invested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.