Cadillac Owners Forum banner
222K views 699 replies 131 participants last post by  Dave7 
#1 ·
Anybody know a good source for some (cheaper) whitewall tires? I can't find any on tire-rack.com. I really like the Kelly Navigator Gold Series, but being a college kid with a movie-theater pay budget, I can't really afford them. They would be for the '84 DeVille. I'm not sure, but the tires on it may be origional. They aren't bald, but are starting to get down there. I was wondering if anybody has had good luck with these:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/deta...isVariant=false&corpCard=false&type=undefined
GOODYEAR VIVA 2
Yes, I know they are a wally world special, but people say they are a decent tire. Middle of the road reviews.
My old whitewalls will go on my '90 Brougham 'till I can get new ones (the fronts on there now are BAAAALD). Any tire input is greatly appreciated.

#172 · (Edited)
Hi Guys and Gals,
This is a great and informative thread thanks.
I'd thought I'd share my thoughts if you don't mind.
I've tried the Bleche White years ago and didn't like it for 3 reasons, 1 was discussed here, it dries out the rubber, 2. It ran a white film off the tires onto my driveway that I couldn't wash off easy and finally the expense. I have been using Formula 409, which can also be pricey, for years along with SOS Pads {Cosctcos' Big Box} and fond they work great. As far as leaving scratches on the whitewall, I've never experienced it.
A friend turned me onto this product
{http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-storage-hardware/all-purpose-cleaners/LA-s-Totally-Awesome-Cleaner-Refill/212c254c254p297717/index.pro?method=search}
which can be purchased at your local Dollar Tree Store or from the site. This stuff is much more powerful than 409 and works on EVERYTHING besides tires. Great on BBQ Grills. This stuff is so good that for the whitewalls I actually cut it. 50/50 with water. Stretching that 32 ouncer to 64. The store carries it in a 20 oz bottle as well.
Here is the best part, Both bottles are only a buck each. I never buy the 20 oz. That doesn't make sense as you get more with the 32 for the same price. The 32 doesn't have a spray handle so I put in a spent Windex spray bottle.

Here is the result, Super bright Whitewalls. Mind you, these pictures were taken this morning and all 3 cars need to be cleaned, including the Whitewalls.
On the truck I used a small wire brush with very little pressure after spraying the LA's Awesome first. They also make many LA Awesome products for the home at the same price.
I hope this info helps. :thumbsup:

#174 ·
I used SOS pads for years before switching to Bleche Wite. Yes, Bleche Wite will stain asphalt, so I detail in the garage. I can guarantee SOS pads will leave small scratches that will pick up dirt. Next time I detail mom's 84, I will take shots of her WWs so you can see what I am talking about.

With Bleche Wite, I don't even touch the tire after spraying the product. I hit it with the pressure washer, and the result is gleaming whites that look brand new.

#175 ·
Oh I see, I guess the Bleche White isn't staining your garage floor or you just don't care if it does. I also noticed when I used Bleche White that the staining run off even stained the Black of the tire, requiring a harsh chemical to remove it.
Also, Do you actually start up a pressure washer every time you clean you tires?
Seems a bit much to me.
Even if the SOS is scratching the WW and I'm not saying it is, How much dirt do you think is actually getting in there? Are you driving through mud constantly.
The least expensive stuff I recommend even eats brake dust without having to scrub.
Hey, It all comes down to whatever works for you.

#186 ·
Yeah, the original stripe was like 1", maybe even 7/8".

I haven't done many things to this car to make it no longer "original". But I had already taken the leap by putting on those spoked hubcaps so adding these tires seemed much more reasonable. I've convinced myself that Cadillac should have done it this way and that helps me sleep better at night.

#190 ·
For the record....

After test driving these a couple evenings since I had them installed, the warmer the tires got, the more of a pronounced bounce, shimmy or hop I could feel between 35 and 45mph. Seemed like the front but its tough to tell on a car this size. The whole car kind of wiggles! Alignment is great, I had an alignment a month ago and went back in yesterday for another. Still had the same wiggle afterward between 35 and 45 mph. Interestingly, I was told that caster was non-adjustable on my car? (Researching)

Anywhoo... I'm going back in for a re-balance at Discount Tire and I'm hoping we learn more. Do these rims require lug-centric balancing or hub-centric?

#192 ·
Why 30 psi? Tires say 35 psi...

I called Discount Tire and they have a 5x5 adapter for their balancing machine to do lug centric balancing. After a little research this morning, this appears to be the exact kind of balancing to do for these old style steel rims that might not have a perfectly centered hole in the middle.

#197 ·
Well, unfortunately 3 of the 4 tires I got are duds. Hence the wobble. Once they got atarted, I was invited back to watch them balance and it was obvious what was the issue is. Looks like I might be switching to Diamondbacks. Kudos to the techs at Discount Tire who threw every trick in the book at them, but when the tires themselves have a warped sense of humor, they can't perform miracles. Took it up to 55 - 65 and the steering wheel was going nuts! That's with the best two tires on the front! Dang!

#201 ·
I had similar problem with my car. The front tires were very old and were causing this kind of wobble from 25 to 44 mph. Once they were changed for new ones, wobbling ceased. Curiously, if those warped tires were mounted on the rear axle, they caused just a slight shimmy. Maybe it was due to worn tie rod ends.

#202 ·
Here is an excerpt from Coker Tires FAQ page:

"What is lug centric balancing & do you recommend it?
Lug centric balancing simply means the wheel is affixed to the balancer by an adapter that goes through lug holes, not through the center hole of the rim. Unlike aluminum wheels, which usually have a drilled and almost perfect center hole placement, steel wheel’s center holes are stamped. This frequently causes the center hole to actually be slightly off-center. If the center hole is used to mount steel wheels to the balancer, the balance will be inaccurate and the tire will not perform at its best. Your wheel and tire ride on the studs, so you want the assembly to be balanced as it rides on the car. Yes, we recommend lug centric balancing to obtain the most accurate balance & best ride for your vehicle."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.