The official Whitewall thread - Page 31
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, The official Whitewall thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; with whitewalls becoming rare, this may be a good option: http://www.rangerpaint.com/collectio...white-sidewall...
    fixitman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham

Re: The official Whitewall thread

with whitewalls becoming rare, this may be a good option:

http://www.rangerpaint.com/collectio...white-sidewall

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Are they 1.3 in white wall like the other GT Radial offerings were?

I have been very happy with my set on my 87.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by fixitman View Post
    with whitewalls becoming rare, this may be a good option:

http://www.rangerpaint.com/collectio...white-sidewall
    Their sample photos look like they were done in Photoshop. No actual pictures of how it looks.
    bluefleetwood likes this.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I didn't include the URL because they took the the tire down. I hope they are just out temporarily. This is what they look like though.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....A745&pID=32595

http://www.spinning-rims.com/Store_D...79&InfoID=5094

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

They're still out there... my local place can get these:

http://www.jetzontire.com/tires/Deta...tion=Passenger

225 70 15s are available, check the sizes. They are inexpensive.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

I understand forum rules so I will just say this--
    BEFORE YOUR BUY GREMAX, PM ME
    Jeff

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Jeff, if you've got personal experience/info, we'd like to hear it.

OK, I didn't think I could post negative here but since you name has Moderator under it, I guess it's OK.
    In a nutshell, I have gone thru 10 of them and only 1 is good.
    Got a set of Gremax mid July--Yes, July. A few days later, I noticed that 3 of the 4 tire's whitewalls were starting to yellow. As time went on (only a couple of days mind you) they got more yellow--like a smoker's teeth (I don't want to offend but that is the best way to describe) 1 was still as white as this page. Went back to the Goodyear place I got them. Could show them I had only put a few miles on them and, in fact, had not even cleaned them yet because you cold still see the fingerprints from the installer. So, they replaced them with no problems--Just 3 of them.

Fast forward a week and I notice the same thing. The 3 new tires have yellowing whitewalls while the original one was still as white as could be. Took it back again, same scenario, replaced 3........ If you are counting, I have had 7 tires on the car-only 1, the first one, was still perfectly white.

Well, you guessed it. Here we go again. This time it took a little longer to get a new set. He called around and got 3 more with the same date code as the good one. At my suggestion, to avoid them having to lift the car, and go thru everything again (not to mention my time) I had him clean the blue off the whitewalls and stick the tires outside for a few days to let the sun hit them. Went back again last Thursday. As a side note, when they were pulling it in, she blew the power steering line--not their fault but I had to leave the car there for the night. Anyway, They put another 3 tires on it and it sit inside for the nite. During the day they pushed it out. I came to pick it up (I just pulled the ps pump belts to not burn the pump up and drove it home--1.1 miles). When I came to pick it up, he had already noticed----3 yellowish whitewalls and only 1 good one, the first one.
    Now they are trying to figure out what they are going to do for me. If you are counting, I have gone thru 9 bad tires in 1 month...... still have 1 good one tho.
    So that is my experience with Gremax.
    Jeff

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I have never heard of Gremax and they never come up in my searches. I have some old whitewalls that are very yellow. I am hoping the bleach white will do something for them. I wonder what would happen if somebody gave those Gremaxs a real good washing with that bleach white white wall stuff? I wonder if they would stay white? Probably not since one is already staying white. I was thinking that maybe they aren't getting cleaned good enough the first time and there is still some kind of contaminant residue on them making them yellow so fast. I guess we should steer clear of them until we hear a good report on them.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Question: Why would it be bad to say negative things about a shitty product? Last I checked, this ain't Soviet Russia.
    cadillacmike68 likes this.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    I have never heard of Gremax and they never come up in my searches. I have some old whitewalls that are very yellow. I am hoping the bleach white will do something for them. I wonder what would happen if somebody gave those Gremaxs a real good washing with that bleach white white wall stuff? I wonder if they would stay white? Probably not since one is already staying white. I was thinking that maybe they aren't getting cleaned good enough the first time and there is still some kind of contaminant residue on them making them yellow so fast. I guess we should steer clear of them until we hear a good report on them.
    You can also try lacquer thinner. I use it on my WSW tires, when they are really dirty.

I never heard of jetzon / gremax tires either, and I can't find their parent company in wiki.

The GT radials look OK, Singapore company, opening a plant in the US this summer.

It looks like GT Radial is the ONLY game in town at present for 93-96 Fleetwoods and their unique 235-70-15 size. At least it is a T rating with a 620 wear rating.

For size 235-75-15 I'd still go for the Hankook Optimo. I have their mileage plus (no longer made in 235-70-15 WSW) right now on the Fleetwood.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    Question: Why would it be bad to say negative things about a shitty product? Last I checked, this ain't Soviet Russia.
    Amen to that! But I do believe that any such items should be stated in a dignified, civilized and well written manner. No grade school dropout biatch sessions please.

afaia1978 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe Deville

Has anyone ever heard of sanding/grinding down the sidewall of your tires to enlarge the width of the whitewall? Some guy on this Cadillac Facebook group does this and turns like a 1" WW to like a 3" WW. They look really good too, like a factory original tire. I would think that doing this would severely weaken the tire which could be dangerous. Does anybody have any knowledge on this?

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Done right, it would weaken the tire as much or as little as a tire made originally with a larger white wall.

There are videos on YouTube about doing it.

Well, I thought I had seen something about negative comments wanting to be PM'd and not posted. Just tried to be politically correct, sorry.
    Tried Bleach White on them, no luck. They just keep getting yellower and yellower.
    Stay away from the Gremax.
    Jeff

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Some people that could not stand there yellowing white walls have painted them with http://www.rangerpaint.com/ and were happy with the results .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.