The official Whitewall thread - Page 24
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, The official Whitewall thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by ferrisworld Anybody tried the Hankook Optimo H724? I just ordered a set of these for my '93 ...
    padredurand is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood

Re: The official Whitewall thread

Quote Originally Posted by ferrisworld View Post
    Anybody tried the Hankook Optimo H724?
    I just ordered a set of these for my '93 Fleetwood in a 235/75R15XL. I spent weeks looking for a 70 series whitewall with no luck in my limited budget. I drive 80 miles a day commuting mostly on winding country roads. You can feel the Firestones roll over at every turn. After 25,000 miles of this the tires are shot. The XL appealed to me. $88 each at Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Op...15-XL/17792288

Forgoten214 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1992 Sedan DeVille

I've been looking at those myself, let me know how they work out for you. I was also looking at their high mileage I believe its called the 725 or something like that, also sold at Walmart. I've also been looking at Bridgestone SE200s as well.

Quote Originally Posted by padredurand View Post
    I just ordered a set of these for my '93 Fleetwood in a 235/75R15XL. I spent weeks looking for a 70 series whitewall with no luck in my limited budget. I drive 80 miles a day commuting mostly on winding country roads. You can feel the Firestones roll over at every turn. After 25,000 miles of this the tires are shot. The XL appealed to me. $88 each at Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hankook-Op...15-XL/17792288

CBodyFan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by padredurand View Post
    Just ask on this forum or read back a few posts - the 70 series whitewall isn't impossible to find. Here is a link to a website that carries the Hankook in the 235/70-15 size with whitewall, plus two other brands with whitewalls:

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...hen=View+tires

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

At the dealership we had a company with a machine to spin the tire and cut a grove in it and paint the grove white if it was a black wall to begin with, on white walls they would gust grind a narrow one wider to match others if mismatched widths.

rocketvette95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 Cadillac Seville STS with FE3,F55

I was luky and found a set of Hankook 235/70/15 Mileage plus II. The tire is rated at a 620 treadwear A traction and a B for temperture. So far I am very pleased with this tire. I read that this tire is a 80000 mile tire so only time will tell.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Quote Originally Posted by rocketvette95 View Post
    I was luky and found a set of Hankook 235/70/15 Mileage plus II. The tire is rated at a 620 treadwear A traction and a B for temperture. So far I am very pleased with this tire. I read that this tire is a 80000 mile tire so only time will tell.
    Me too, got mine a couple years ago now and posted here about 10 pages ago. I have no complaints yet.

ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville

I've had this idea for a while, and now I think I found a good way to make it work.

1. Get a set of these Level 8 Tracker wheels in black, 18x9: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...cker&typ=Truck

2. Paint the edge of the rim white.

3. Find a way to attach stock wheel covers to cover up the holes.

4. Find a way to hide the air filler tube and route it through the wheel cover.

5. Run my favorite tires, the Continental ExtremeContact DW.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

I didn't notice this mentioned, but Diamond Back is a good (if not extremely expensive) source for whatever whitewall you need. They make a tire with a 1" whitewall that's set the correct distance from the center, and they say they can make any width whitewall you request. They also have the double & triple stripe whitewalls for the '60s-early '70s Cadillacs. Very cool.

See picture fourth from left, top row; and first on left, second row.
    http://www.dbtires.com/catalog2012.html

The Dimension IV tires on my Phaeton have a whitewall of exactly 1-5/8". From all I've been able to gather, that's closest to the originals.

The Champiro 75s I have on my '90 have a whitewall of 1-1/8", and the whitewall is set about 1/8" too close to the center, but still has the right effect.

Also re-discovered the spare in my Phaeton is an old sears tire, with a 1" whitewall. So, at some point in history, the car wore a 1" whitewall. When I got it, it had your run-of-the-mill 0.75" whitewalls, and it really didn't look right.
    Bro-Ham and Bro-Ham like this.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Someone mentioned that the Runway Enduro was being discontinued. I just checked tires-easy.com,(where I got mine) and the size I got for my Fleetwood (235-75-15) is being shown as still available, and in that size, they have over 40 in stock. They are now $101 each, up from the $85 each I think I paid in September of 2011. I have put maybe 4,000 miles on them, and absolutely love them. Very quiet and soft ride, and still look just like new. For the last month, I have been going back and forth to Sarasota from my home in Fort Myers Beach, and on I-75, usually going with traffic at 75-90 mph, they are great. So far, I'm very pleased.

Schlauncha is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Deville Limo

I just ordered 16oz of white wall tire paint, which they say is enough to do 8-10 tires, from eBay seller "usawhitewallsdady" and figure I'll give that a try. We bought a 1984 Deville Limo (6-door Eureka) which came with 15" 100-spoke wire wheels wearing some fairly new Hankook tires, but they are not white-wall. The wheels alone are worth what we paid for this car, so we'll try painting up these tires to a "full white wall" to really class it up.

I've seen good looking results so long as person doesn't paint literally to the tread surface with the white "sidewall", and the seller's video shows a painted strip of rubber being twisted and folded without any paint cracking or peeling off, and with 100% positive feedback on 1400-some sales, I figure it's a safe risk at $40 shipped. I bought more because I intend to do more of the "full" white wall, and didn't want to come up short in case they count how many tires it can do based on smaller amounts of white wall applied. My brother advises that we "paint" vaseline onto the wheel and the outer portion of the tire we want to keep the paint off of, which makes sense. It should arrive later next week, and eventually once we get a chance to paint these tires up, I'll try to get some pictures posted. It just seems like if we have good black-wall tires on it right now, $40 to make them exactly the width of white-wall we want could be a very good deal, if the results look good and if they last. Worst comes to worst, we can have the tires remounted flipped to hide our attempt at painting the white-walls.
    Benzilla and Benzilla like this.

Schlauncha is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Deville Limo

IMG952012112095231538.jpg

"I don't got twenty-fo's, but I'm on those Vogues, that's those big white walls, r-r-round them hundred spokes"

We have finished two so far and it looks pretty good. Use bleach to clean the tires, sand on them (we just scuffed them with 100 grit soft foam sanding blocks), clean with alcohol, mask off the rim and the outer edge, paint a coat and repeat in 24 hours (and then I put the 3rd coat on 6 hours later because I'm impatient) and remove the tape to get this. For $40 I ended up with enough paint to probably do 20 or 30 tires at the amount we did (we really didn't use much paint at all) so you could buy a smaller bottle than I did. We need to paint the other two and then see how it holds up on the road, and of course get some better pictures, farther from the side outside during daylight. But in all I'm very happy with the results so far and wanted to share this.
    FLTWD1994 likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Very cool! Great looking result and a beautiful classic Cadillac limo.

Thanks for adding this to this thread. Lots of us broke guys trying to "fake it til we make it" will be following your on-the-road reports closely!

CadillacBrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Brougham (5.7)

Hi guys! So, I need to buy tires for my '90 brougham. I like the look of the runway enduros and champiros with the wider whitewall, but I want to make sure they are a good tire for daily driving. Does anybody have any experience with them on their cadillacs? If so, are they a good tire?

Also, my local mechanic was telling me about the Cooper trendsetter SE, which offers a 3/4ths whitewall (a little small IMO, I'd like something a little bigger). Does anyone have any experience with these tires?

Thanks for any responses!

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

I have the Champiro 75 series in 225 width on my '90 Brougham daily driver, and can vouch for their overall drivability. They've been installed for about 3.5 years & at least 15,000 miles, I love them & wish they'd never be discontinued! For an economy tire, they have incredible wet grip. Now; since they've been installed, I've also had a bit of a vibration around 70 mph, but I don't know if this is due to a tire, or bad balancing, etc. The whitewall isn't dead-on correct for the look it's intended to portray, but is very close, and looks much better than the overpriced, badly designed 'American Classics' tires... stay far from those.

Champiros on my Brougham

I used to own a 1983 Coupe DeVille that came with 215-75 Cooper Trendsetters. They were a good looking tire, despite having a narrower whitewall the rest of the sidewall was relatively clear of markings, making them a decent choice for older cars that didn't have the "serrated sidewall" look going on when new. I never drove that car hard enough, or frequent enough to really give them a solid review, but they rode nice.

Cooper Trendsetters on my Coupe DeVille (ignore the tire gloss, don't remember what was going on there..)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.