The official Whitewall thread - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, The official Whitewall thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; IMO, WIDE whites don't belong on 60s (or 70s/80s/90s) cars. That 68 needs a narrower factory WW....
    jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: The official Whitewall thread

IMO, WIDE whites don't belong on 60s (or 70s/80s/90s) cars. That 68 needs a narrower factory WW.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

They are General Altimax HP H Rated tires. This is my 3rd pair, I have had a H rated set and a V rated set, the V rated took no weights on one of the 2 rims, the other very very little. The H rated needed more. Next time I will buy only the V rated, they wear faster, but they are a better made tire.

I got mine from TireRack, they are around $90 each there.

I am starting to wonder what is up, I can't watch the wheel when I am driving, wish I could.

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chateau View Post
    What tire manufacturer provided you tires that balanced but still caused the shaking? This is exactly what I'm experiencing. When watching the tires spin, you can see them wobble and shimmy right on the balancer. And that's after they've been lug-centric balanced according to the machine. To me, this means the tire has imperfections that cannot be balanced away.

CBodyFan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    IMO, WIDE whites don't belong on 60s (or 70s/80s/90s) cars. That 68 needs a narrower factory WW.
    Depends. 50s style wide whites look silly on most post 1961 cars. But during the mid 70s to early 80s the factory-style wider-whites look better than the narrow ribbon-style white-stripe tires. Look at a brochure for a 75-82 Cadillac and you will see what I mean.

I agree. I have the correct "mid-size" WWs on my 81. Not 3 1/2", though!

Dirtywaterdiver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

Well IMHO any car made from 1970 and on is a waste to own as a collector car.

There is a reason the Big Three ain't those three anymore, and it all began in '69.

That's when they began losing their touch. Good enough was the standard.

The front end of a 73 Deville looks no different than the front end of a 73 LTD.

And forget the 80's ugh. Genuine wood grain vinyl. The Cimarron!

A road rod like mine needs 5 spoke Supremes and Wide Whites. It ain't no grocery getter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtywaterdiver View Post
    Well IMHO any car made from 1970 and on is a waste to own as a collector car.
    There are plenty of muscle car and sports car owners that would disagree with you. Not to mention many of our own 80s Cadillac connoisseurs.

These are a "waste"?

I could keep going and going, but, regrettably, we are off topic again

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*

After 217 replies and 15 pages, off topic keeps this thread from disappearing into the woodwork.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    After 217 replies and 15 pages, off topic keeps this thread from disappearing into the woodwork.
    dont you mean the genuine vinyl pseudo woodwork? lol

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

RIP Vinyl trees.

Dirtywaterdiver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

Vinyl is final

69Chateau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Deville Convertible

Well, got a new set of tires on order. Diamondback II's - 1.6" WW. The tires themselves are originally Yokohama AVID Touring-S - P235/75R15. But they shave the entire sidewall from bead to tread and then vulcanize on the 1.6" whitewall. I'm really pumped about these new tires. Should looks something like these (minus the branding on the side above the WW):

http://www.dbtires.com/2011_catalog/hi/12_II.htm

Interestingly, they also have a WW design that is much more like the original WW design that came on the car when it was new (1969). Its a stacked WW design with a larger WW stripe on the inside and smaller stripe on the outside. I debated getting those to stay more "original" (I'm looking at you CADFORCE69!) but I didn't think they looked good with hubcaps/rims other than the original "dog dish" style hubcaps. Link here:

http://www.dbtires.com/2011_catalog/hi/12_II_stack.htm

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Very interesting!! I thought no one made nowadays this stacked style! They´re not cheap, at $ 229 but it´s an affordable luxury. I´ll remember it when I change my tires in 7 years.

You´re right. These WW fit perfectly the dog dish hubcaps but they are void in wire rim. 1.6 fits perfectly the wires.

69Chateau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Deville Convertible

I got my American Classic 1.6" whitewalls swapped with a set of Diamondback II's 1.6"... AMAZING!

The ride quality is night and day better. They are quieter and the cosmetics of the tire and WHITE wall are stunning.

Interestingly, the tire is actually a Yokohama AVID Touring-s that they modify into a custom whitewall. They did amazing and I'm really glad Discount Tire helped me get them swapped in.
    Benzilla likes this.

ail45 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

hey guys, looking for some good performing whitewalls, preferably all year/weather. Can anyone recommend some? Didnt want to search through 15s pages to find out -_-

CBodyFan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chateau View Post
    I got my American Classic 1.6" whitewalls swapped with a set of Diamondback II's 1.6"... AMAZING!

The ride quality is night and day better. They are quieter and the cosmetics of the tire and WHITE wall are stunning.

Interestingly, the tire is actually a Yokohama AVID Touring-s that they modify into a custom whitewall. They did amazing and I'm really glad Discount Tire helped me get them swapped in.
    How are they holding up so far? And how easy are they to keep clean? Is the WW solidly adheared to the sidewall? is there anysign of peeling?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.