The official Whitewall thread - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, The official Whitewall thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I take the hubcaps off too, and hide them in the trunk. The technicians will snoop around (looking for the ...
    sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: The official Whitewall thread

I take the hubcaps off too, and hide them in the trunk. The technicians will snoop around (looking for the suspension override) and install them, as a "favor." I don't go to garages any more...

69Chateau is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Deville Convertible

Well, unfortunately 3 of the 4 tires I got are duds. Hence the wobble. Once they got atarted, I was invited back to watch them balance and it was obvious what was the issue is. Looks like I might be switching to Diamondbacks. Kudos to the techs at Discount Tire who threw every trick in the book at them, but when the tires themselves have a warped sense of humor, they can't perform miracles. Took it up to 55 - 65 and the steering wheel was going nuts! That's with the best two tires on the front! Dang!

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    We just got some adapters to use at work if we want to do a lug centric balance. Nobody has used them yet and I don't think anybody wants to. Ill have to test them out and see if they produce different numbers than the hub centric way.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I don't know why you would want to. Wheels are hub centric to the car, that is the way they should be mounted on the balancer, too.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Well, I think what 69Chateau said in post 192 makes sense. I havent seen any problems with hub centric balancing but it would be neat to see if any of the older steelies balance differently between the two methods.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chateau View Post
    Well, unfortunately 3 of the 4 tires I got are duds. Hence the wobble. Once they got atarted, I was invited back to watch them balance and it was obvious what was the issue is. Looks like I might be switching to Diamondbacks. Kudos to the techs at Discount Tire who threw every trick in the book at them, but when the tires themselves have a warped sense of humor, they can't perform miracles. Took it up to 55 - 65 and the steering wheel was going nuts! That's with the best two tires on the front! Dang!
    I had similar problem with my car. The front tires were very old and were causing this kind of wobble from 25 to 44 mph. Once they were changed for new ones, wobbling ceased. Curiously, if those warped tires were mounted on the rear axle, they caused just a slight shimmy. Maybe it was due to worn tie rod ends.

Here is an excerpt from Coker Tires FAQ page:

"What is lug centric balancing & do you recommend it?
    Lug centric balancing simply means the wheel is affixed to the balancer by an adapter that goes through lug holes, not through the center hole of the rim. Unlike aluminum wheels, which usually have a drilled and almost perfect center hole placement, steel wheel’s center holes are stamped. This frequently causes the center hole to actually be slightly off-center. If the center hole is used to mount steel wheels to the balancer, the balance will be inaccurate and the tire will not perform at its best. Your wheel and tire ride on the studs, so you want the assembly to be balanced as it rides on the car. Yes, we recommend lug centric balancing to obtain the most accurate balance & best ride for your vehicle."

The problem with that statement is that the wheels are mounted to the CAR hub centric, not lug centric. Your wheels and tire do not "ride on the lugs" like they say, they ride on the hubs of the rotors and axles. The lugs hold the wheels on the car.

But the steel rims have a countersink in each hole that "seat" with the acorn portion of the lug nuts. Thus centering the rim at each lug bolt.

If it was hub centric, then there wouldn't be a countersink within the steel rim and the rim side of the lug nut would be flat and/or have a washer that presses against the rim.

N0DIH is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham

I have a pair of tires I just put on my car and it shakey at 50 mph or so, annoying as heck, they have checked balance after, still bad. Something isn't right. I knew I should have got the V-rated tires.... My last set of V-rated tires had almost no weights to balance out.

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chateau View Post

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    The problem with that statement is that the wheels are mounted to the CAR hub centric, not lug centric. Your wheels and tire do not "ride on the lugs" like they say, they ride on the hubs of the rotors and axles. The lugs hold the wheels on the car.
    The wheel hub is always centered to the wheel studs. The holes in the rim, for the studs, are drilled in a specific pattern to match the orientation of the studs on the hub assembly. If the center of the rim was off center, the rim would be off balance in correlation to the hub assembly. Therefore, lug-centric balancing would produce a more accurate balance of the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by N0DIH View Post
    I have a pair of tires I just put on my car and it shakey at 50 mph or so, annoying as heck, they have checked balance after, still bad. Something isn't right. I knew I should have got the V-rated tires.... My last set of V-rated tires had almost no weights to balance out.
    What tire manufacturer provided you tires that balanced but still caused the shaking? This is exactly what I'm experiencing. When watching the tires spin, you can see them wobble and shimmy right on the balancer. And that's after they've been lug-centric balanced according to the machine. To me, this means the tire has imperfections that cannot be balanced away.

DouglasJRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 hearse, 1976 hearse

Re: WhiteWalls

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Kuhmo Solus KR21

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

This is what I am running on my 1991 Brougham. I assume your 1984 Deville runs the same size 225/75/R15's. Mine have about 4k miles on them now, they are quiet and ride nice. Very good tires in the rain as well, but our cars have oustanding traction for a RWD vehicle though.

Friend of mine is running the same tire on his 2004 2wd Toyota Tacoma truck, they have over 20k miles on them. His truck is pretty quiet and rides dead smooth at 80mph, and the tires still have 2/3 of the tread on them.
    I have the "XL" version (extra load) for the hearses. They work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    The wheel hub is always centered to the wheel studs. The holes in the rim, for the studs, are drilled in a specific pattern to match the orientation of the studs on the hub assembly. If the center of the rim was off center, the rim would be off balance in correlation to the hub assembly. Therefore, lug-centric balancing would produce a more accurate balance of the wheel.
    If the center of the wheel opening was off center, you wouldn't be able to get the wheel on the car.

Let's get this thread back on topic, please.

More whitewalls.

Dirtywaterdiver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 Convertible

I am thinking of putting these Coker's on my '68 Deville with a set of 5 Spoke Supremes.

Size P235/75R15 WW Width 3.125" Construction POLY/STEEL Load Capacity 2028 @ 35 PSI Tread Width 6.58" Section Width 9.41" Overall Diameter 28.91" UTQG Rating 400 B B Price $195.00

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.