Cadillac Owners Forum banner
222K views 699 replies 131 participants last post by  Dave7 
#1 ·
Anybody know a good source for some (cheaper) whitewall tires? I can't find any on tire-rack.com. I really like the Kelly Navigator Gold Series, but being a college kid with a movie-theater pay budget, I can't really afford them. They would be for the '84 DeVille. I'm not sure, but the tires on it may be origional. They aren't bald, but are starting to get down there. I was wondering if anybody has had good luck with these:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/deta...isVariant=false&corpCard=false&type=undefined
GOODYEAR VIVA 2
Yes, I know they are a wally world special, but people say they are a decent tire. Middle of the road reviews.
My old whitewalls will go on my '90 Brougham 'till I can get new ones (the fronts on there now are BAAAALD). Any tire input is greatly appreciated.

#277 ·
I always used a green scotch brite pad on the whitewalls with the Westly's Bleach White. I just steal it from the kitchen sink when it starts to look a little grungy. Biggest thing about keeping your whitewalls nice is to keep up on it, wash your car once a week and do the whitewalls. Nothing irks me more than seeing a clean car with dirty whitewalls or white letter tires.

#279 ·
Thanks for this thread guys, I'm coming over from the FWD section, I have a 1992 DeVille and I'm currently looking for whitewalls myself. I created a couple threads over there I'm going to need new tires soon myself. I'm probably going to go with the Hankook High Mileage Plus or Bridgestone Insigna SE200. I like the stats for the EL400 Bridgestone but they have really bad reviews...Goodyear Viva 2 is a possibility as well. Oh and P.S Walmart now carries Hankook tires! Bring on the Walmart return policy and no questions asked tire replacement. ;)

#281 ·
Yep, I forgot those are a excellent choice. Also Firestone Affinity tires where buy 3 and get the 4th free with installation at Firestone which I have 3 stores near me. I missed it by a day! I found out about it on Halloween and it ended in October. :( I was so pissed. I only had 1 day to get the tires. Firestone makes some great tires for the money though I don't care what people say. I like them better than Bridgestone actually.

Thanks, I've always wanted a RWD Brougham Fleetwood from 1990-1992 with the 5.7 that is Black/Black with the button leather seats! Those are amazing. Hard to find in good shape and when I do the prices are inflated. Spending 7 grand on one is kinda crazy to me. If I had the money I would but I'd like to stay between 2-4k if I can. Imagine how sexy those look with the steel rims and Whitewall's black on black? :D

#282 ·
I just bought a set of Hankook P235 70 15 ... I got them at Pep Boys... It was the last set they had and they told me they were not going to carry that size anymore.. these are the mileage plus II.. I have some mileage plus tires and they are not the same... the II's seam lighter duty..

#285 ·
Re: The official Whitewall thread 85 FLEETWOOD COUPE

LAST MONTH BOUGHT MY 85' FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM DR.COUPE, ONLY 12,200 MILES, STARTING TO DRYROT 215/75/R15 TIRES.
HAVE LOOKED ON THE INTERNET FOR 3/4" WW NOT MUCH TO BE FOUND. NOT LOOKING TO GO CHEAP, I INTEND TO KEEP CAR IN TOP-NOTCH
CONDITION, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOME. THANKS
HYDMAN Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Cadillac brougham
LOVE MY RIDE!!:cool2:

#286 ·

OMG You get my vote for my favorite car on this forum!!! I would die for that car, it's my favorite design Cadillac has ever made. I just don't know about the HT4100 engine but w/e. With that mileage I'd deal with it.

Definitely look for Michelin Symmetry's if you can find them. Check online, call locally whatever.

If you can't find them, go with Falkens, Bridgestone even Hankook are great, they sell Hankook at Walmart now and they have the High Mileage Plus II in pretty much every size. Look into it type it into google. They're really a great tire the H725. I'm going to put Hankook's on my DeVille when I get the money.

Also if you can find Uniroyal TigerPaw AWP II WhiteWall. Tirerack.com has some in stock check them out. Uniroyal makes a great Michelin alternative, they're made by Michelin, I heard great things about them for the price.

I love your Brougham! If you ever want to sell it to someone who will take care of it and treat it right and wax it every month like I would then I'm you're man! :D

Also please post some more pictures, if you have anymore questions about tires just let me know I'll help you out.

LAST MONTH BOUGHT MY 85' FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM DR.COUPE, ONLY 12,200 MILES, STARTING TO DRYROT 215/75/R15 TIRES.
HAVE LOOKED ON THE INTERNET FOR 3/4" WW NOT MUCH TO BE FOUND. NOT LOOKING TO GO CHEAP, I INTEND TO KEEP CAR IN TOP-NOTCH
CONDITION, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOME. THANKS
HYDMAN View attachment 83844 LOVE MY RIDE!!:cool2:

#289 · (Edited)

No problem sir, you are a lucky man. That is a beautiful car you have there! You really are lucky to have it, I've been looking for a 2 door Black Fleetwood Brougham for years now. I wish I had one it's one of my favorite car's Cadillac has ever made besides the 1955 Eldorado, 1966 DeVille, 1975 Eldorado Fleetwood convertible.

You mentioned you wanted 3/4ths correct? All the ones I mentioned besides the Michelin's are 3/4ths. If you're looking for a full inch those are a bit harder to find. I believe Runway makes those and of course VOGUE tires if you have money.

Vogue tires are pretty much the best you can buy. They're hand made and custom made for each size. They cost around 200-300 per tire but are well worth it depending on how much money you're willing to spend.

Also Firestone FR710s are a great choice as well as Firestone Affinity Touring. Actually Firestone is having a special for the month of December for the Affinity Touring series, buy 3 get the 4th free and you get free installation. Comes out to about 320 dollars for my car with the road hazard warranty. Not a bad price I don't think. Oh and that's installed on the car BTW at the Firestone service center store.

I love these pictures! I'd love to see all of the ones you have. :D

Forgoten 214: Thanks for the info. This is a great site glad i joined, here's a few more pics: Thanks again! Hydman. View attachment 83888 ,.....

#291 ·

Wow everything looks really great in it. That would be cool if it was a D'Elegance but sometimes I like it without leather seats, mine has cloth seats and I actually like it better than leather in some ways.

How's your HT4100? I know a lot of people don't like that engine.

Is there anyway you can email those to me in a higher size/resolution? :) I'd like to keep it for my personal collection so that I know what to look for as an example of what I'd like to try to find/buy. I bet I wouldn't be able to afford it but it's always nice to dream I say. :D

#297 ·
personally, I kind of dig those rims. someone (American Racing?) used to make a design very similar to those in the 80's, except they were cast aluminum and the design came out to the lip of the rim so that the rim itself was concave. They sure look better than the 20"+ that most people stick on these cars.
Does the front of your car really sit that low to the ground?

#300 ·
It's so funny to me... I was always so happy for my Brougham to sit up high like it was proud and standing tall. I always thought a car sitting low made it look worn out and saggy. I guess that's because before lowering cars became a fad that is exactly what it meant... a car that sat low had worn out, compressed springs and dead shocks... Or your level ride compressor or air line was broken.

#304 ·
I guess my "day", (at least in terms of "coming of age") would have been the mid 1980's-early 1990's. The only car mods I really remember seeing was actually jacking up the rear end of muscle cars and installing Cragar mag wheels... Of course I grew up in Maine and it took about 5-10 years for fads to reach us.

When you mention "air bags" the first thing that comes to my mind is the air ride Cadillac used in 1959-1960. All 4 corners were supported by big thick rubber air bags from factory... no springs at all! And when the bags went bad or a line developed a leak the car would sit down like a "bagged" car does today... Only back then, your Cadillac laying down was something you NEVER wanted to see because that meant you had big, expensive suspension problems (think 1980's Lincoln Continental). The air ride system was supposed to stay inflated for a long time, like days... even with the car shut off.

It's funny, when I was growing up Cadillacs were generallly considered to be old fart cars... And since I was an odd ball young fart anyway, I loved them... "I loved Caddys when loving Caddys wasn't cool"... LOL. I was actually very surprised when Cadillacs began to become popular with young people in the late 1990's.

I think it's a great thing that young people can appreciate the older Caddys. It keeps them around... But I have to admit, I do cringe when I see one modified at all. I guess I am a purist. I figure it's enough of a challenge keeping them like the were.

#305 ·
I saw this old mid sixties chevy pickup today. Lowered with wide whites. Went over to see what tires they were. Enduro 706! Google search revealed they're basically a 70 series version of the Enduro 75, but I haven't seen a 235 listed, only a 225 and below. Now, they're available in a white wall according to my search, but it was hard to tell if the ones on the truck weren't just shaved in or not. They were recessed instead of raised, but from the looks of the tire, if they were shaved, it was an amazing job. No irregularities or bad scuff marks that I could tell. If I can find a good source for them, I think I'll get a set and maybe some 7 inch rims since I like having a wider tire, and even a 225/70 is slightly wider than a 235/75 from what I've read.

#309 ·
Well I know that's how it should be, but a site I was looking at listed the tread width of a 225/70 as wider than both a 225/75, and a 235/75. Here's the chart:
http://www.angelfire.com/on/geebjen/tires.html
Per series, the larger section widths make a wider tread, but it shows all section widths producing a wider tread as you go down in aspect ratio. I suppose it's not an accurate chart.

#307 ·
I need tires real bad. The Sears tires on mine are dryrot from being used for 5,000 over ten years. Yesterday I saw some low prices at
Walmart for a set of four installed for $343. I think they were Dunlop tires? I checked the web site but did not see them there. The used
tire shops around my area are always sold out on 15 inch tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.