Cadillac Owners Forum banner
13K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cadillac_al 
#1 ·
I'm purchasing a 69 Deville convertible, and would like info and specs on what type of rear axle this is. I am planning performance mods, (+300 hp over stock) and am concerned with strength of the rear axle. Ring gear size? axle strength? Parts availability? Posi carrier? I've raced Chevy most of my life, but I am completely lost on finding info on this rear axle. I'm starting to think it's poor for performance. How would you rate it compared to a corporate 12 bolt?
Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
Went through the applicable sections of the factory service manual for you, and all I can tell you is that the standard gear ratio is 2.94:1 and that controlled rear differential was optional, noted with a "G" preceding the rear axle ratio code stamped on the housing. No other information is noted. I'm afraid I can't comment on the relative strength of the standard 1969 Cadillac axle versus a corporate 12 bolt model.

Good luck with your build.

Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.