1969 Deville rear axle?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1969 Deville rear axle? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm purchasing a 69 Deville convertible, and would like info and specs on what type of rear axle this is. ...
    trirotor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

1969 Deville rear axle?

I'm purchasing a 69 Deville convertible, and would like info and specs on what type of rear axle this is. I am planning performance mods, (+300 hp over stock) and am concerned with strength of the rear axle. Ring gear size? axle strength? Parts availability? Posi carrier? I've raced Chevy most of my life, but I am completely lost on finding info on this rear axle. I'm starting to think it's poor for performance. How would you rate it compared to a corporate 12 bolt?
    Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1969 Deville rear axle?

Went through the applicable sections of the factory service manual for you, and all I can tell you is that the standard gear ratio is 2.94:1 and that controlled rear differential was optional, noted with a "G" preceding the rear axle ratio code stamped on the housing. No other information is noted. I'm afraid I can't comment on the relative strength of the standard 1969 Cadillac axle versus a corporate 12 bolt model.

Good luck with your build.

Craig

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Went through the applicable sections of the factory service manual for you, and all I can tell you is that the standard gear ratio is 2.94:1 and that controlled rear differential was optional, noted with a "G" preceding the rear axle ratio code stamped on the housing. No other information is noted. I'm afraid I can't comment on the relative strength of the standard 1969 Cadillac axle versus a corporate 12 bolt model.

Craig
    I thought Cadillac used standard GM corporate axles. I know the one in my 1991 Brougham is the good old 8.5" 10 bolt.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post

Craig
    I thought Cadillac used standard GM corporate axles. I know the one in my 1991 Brougham is the good old 8.5" 10 bolt, 3.08 gears, no posi(man I wish it had a posi, last car had one and it was so much fun for donuts in a wet parking lot).

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I think that rear end is every bit as strong as a Chevy 12 bolt but it may be harder to find lockers and gears for it. Then again it may be possible to mix 'n match some GM hardware in there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.