Type of Engine Oil... curious...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Type of Engine Oil... curious... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I apologize if there is already a thread for this, but I searched and I couldn't find anything so... I ...
    JamesC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham (sold), 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

Type of Engine Oil... curious...

I apologize if there is already a thread for this, but I searched and I couldn't find anything so...

I am curious what types of engine oil do you all use?

What is the correct/proper oil type to be used in our old Cadillacs for them to run their best? (posed to 1980-1992 Fleetwood/Brougham owners specifically)

Final note, this will probably show my naivete on the subject, but I'll risk it, I've heard that running synthetic oil through older cars is a big no, no - is this true?

By the way, I didn't do that in my Caddy when I gave it it's tune up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Type of Engine Oil... curious...

The "no synthetic in an old car" is a complete myth. Every old car I buy, I put synthetic in. It is a superior product. If you can afford it, use it. Of course, regular dino (non-syn) oil is perfectly fine, as well. Just keep it changed on a regular schedule. You can find the correct oil viscosity for your driving conditions in your owner's manual. For most, it will be 5w30. If your engine is high mileage, I would suggest considering a slightly higher hot viscosity: 5w40. This will maintain pressure when the engine is idling at a stop light and help to eliminate a dim oil light that can happen with the 307 Olds motors.

mjs182004 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

I use conventional Pennzoil 5w30, which reminds me that i need to do an oil change soon before winter hits

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

Valvoline Max Life 10W30 and a quart of Lucas.....

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    The "no synthetic in an old car" is a complete myth. Every old car I buy, I put synthetic in. It is a superior product. If you can afford it, use it. Of course, regular dino (non-syn) oil is perfectly fine, as well. Just keep it changed on a regular schedule. You can find the correct oil viscosity for your driving conditions in your owner's manual. For most, it will be 5w30. If your engine is high mileage, I would suggest considering a slightly higher hot viscosity: 5w40. This will maintain pressure when the engine is idling at a stop light and help to eliminate a dim oil light that can happen with the 307 Olds motors.
    So would you suggest using a synthetic oil (probably 5W40)in my car for example, a 1987 Cadillac Brougham with 142,XXX miles? Draining the oil out and putting in a synthetic won't hurt it, yes? Currently it has Valvoline conventional oil in it mixed with a can of Restore... something my Mom put into her 1985 Caprice Classic ever since she bought in back in '91 or '92 (with 80,XXX some miles) at every oil change and it has over some 220,XXX miles on it.

ALSO, what exactly makes synthetic oil superior over conventional oil (other than what you mentioned about conventional needing more so regular maintenance)? Also is there really a difference between high mileage oils over the regular types, as a mechanic once told me there's really no difference between them, but for price.

Oh, and thanks for the info!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Synthetics tend to maintain their viscosity ratings over a wider range of oil temperatures, they flow better at/during low temperature starts, and maintain an oil film longer under engine-off conditions (as in: sitting for a week or so.)

BUT, newer automotive-grade synthetics, as well as SL and SM rated conventional oils, do not carry as high an anti-scuff additive package as the older ratings due to EPA pressure to "reduce emissions". Your engine uses flat-tappet valve lifters, so it needs all the protection you can reasonably provide. I, personally, would stop short of the Lucas additives.

DopeStar's recommendation of a MaxLife, LongLife or fleet/marine conventional oil for your car is probably a better choice, as those types tend to carry a higher ZDDP (Zinc - Phosphorous anti-scuff) package than todays "energy conserving" lighter bodied oils. Your car, with 142,xxx miles, qualifies as high mileage. It will easily carry a fleet 10W-30 oil package. Use a WIX filter.

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

I am a believer that these cars were built before synthetic was on the market, so they don't need it. Not to say synthetic isn't better, but IMO I don't think it's necessary. Not to mention that I'll never pay that much for oil. I've always run 10w30 or 40, whatever namebrand is on sale and never had a problem. Don't ever buy oil from the dollar store. My wife came home with some once and it was blacker than the oil that I drained out of the car, so I put it in her corrolla.

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Synthetics tend to maintain their viscosity ratings over a wider range of oil temperatures, they flow better at/during low temperature starts, and maintain an oil film longer under engine-off conditions (as in: sitting for a week or so.)...
    So... then you'd suggest to you 10W30 Valvoline MaxLife Conventional Oil for my car then, that would make it run at it's best? Although as you said some synthetics have an advantage over conventional... getting mixed answers among other people here ( >.< ) and not sure which would work best for my situation and car. Oh if it matters I'm in south-central Kansas.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    Your engine uses flat-tappet valve lifters, so it needs all the protection you can reasonably provide. I, personally, would stop short of the Lucas additives.
    I thought that all of the 1985 and newer Olds 307's used a roller camshaft. http://oldsjunction.classicoldsmobil...IDEngineDetail 5th row down.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

What viscosity to use depends on the expected temperatures the car will experience before the next oil change. Unless you're expecting boiling hot or arctic cold, 5W30 or 10W30 will suffice. Synthetic oil is a superior product for the reasons stated above, and I use it in all my cars. If you don't want to go to the trouble of running down marine oil, there are ZDDP additives on the market that can be used to augment the newer oil formulations.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

These 307s have roller cams. From what I've heard, if you have been using conventional oil and switch to a synthetic after X amount of miles, the slugde that synthetic eats away will expose detoriated gasket material behind it leading to premature gasket failure. I have always believed that you should stick with one type of oil. I could be wrong cause I'm no expert

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I've always used Castrol 5w30 High Mileage. The 307 was designed to run best, from an economical standpoint, on 5w30 oil. Switching to 10w## oil will give you better protection for the first five-ten minutes of a cold start, but 5w30 offers overall superior protection. Using a marine/diesel oil is an option to help clean your engine (diesel oil is designed for harsher conditions and has more cleaning detergents), but in cases of higher mileage engines, diesel oil can clean too well and cause loss of compression.

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

I have 10W30 in my car right now but I had the oil changed at a different place than usual. My regular mechanic uses 10W40 for the car. For some reason I feel the 10W30 that is in the car is causing me to hear more ticking sounds than when I used 10W40 before. Is this my imagination? What is best for hot/humid Florida summers with highs in the mid 90's and lows around 80? What is good for mild Florida winters with highs in the 70's and lows around 45-50? My car is a 79 Sedan deVille, 88k miles.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Good point on the roller/flat tappet issue! Guys, the ZDDP levels of oil have been steadily lowered for the past ten years. This is to protect catalytic converters. Old flat tappet engines, like the 80/81 368 and the 425 NEED a higher level of ZDDP than you can get in regular oil! This will protect the cam and lifters from wear. Best place to get what you need? GM. Go in, and ask for PN 88862586, GM Engine Oil Supplement.

Bro-ham, if it were my car, I would run synthetic 5w40, with GM EOS added at fill time.

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Jay-son, Thanks! Will that make it run smooth as butter? The last time I used synthetic oil was a Rolls-Royce I had several years ago and the oil found every crevice to seep through. Hope my Cad retains synthetic better. I will try it! Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.