Retro radio, todays features - yesterdays look
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Retro radio, todays features - yesterdays look in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Has anyone yet seen a old-style-radio with modern features like BT, USB and things like that for the '70s Cadillacs ...
    CoupedeVille'73 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Coupe DeVille 1973

Retro radio, todays features - yesterdays look

Has anyone yet seen a old-style-radio with modern features like BT, USB and things like that for the '70s Cadillacs that replaces the old 8-track radio ?
    I think that would be a better idea instead of hiding the new ones in the glove compartment...

There are some retroradios, but not for the '70s Cadillacs as far as know...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Retro radio, todays features - yesterdays look

Found this, but its not for Cadillacs as far as I can see...

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/

and as far as I know, import radios from th eUS don't work in Europe because of the different frequencies...
    (US-odd, Europe=straight, for example US 87,5 MHz, EU 87,6 MHz), but maybe that it is sort of switchable with modern electronics...

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

You're in luck (possibly). If you use the Make and Model selector, Cadillac returns nothing.

But just on a hunch, I clicked Chevrolet. And for some reason, CADILLAC came up under Chevrolet.

And here's a radio for 73-89's.

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/24

Too bad it's $300. And I've got no idea about euro radios, but at least it exists.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

"CADILLAC" also comes up if you just select model (no make).

I honestly don't like the way they look. Too much chrome for the interior (would look perfect mounted in the middle of the grill though). But it is the closest thing I've seen to the '70's and '80's radios that isn't factory.

Ah, I didn't try that.

I just figured checking other GM brands, and Chevrolet was the first I tried. lol

The main (and the best) idea of these radios is that the knobs are not integrated in the radio chassis itself.
    This way they fit into almost any mount. As most of the very great inventions, this one is really soooo simple and effective.

Annnnnnnddddd.... tada....

It has a possibility to switch between US and European frequencies. What a great equipment this is.

Here's the user's manual and installation guide:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8785479/Fi...al-5-Pm-120808

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

That looks like the crappy radios people used to buy for cars that never had them.

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

No rca outputs or changer controls. Plastic chrome is ok for trim, but too much looks cheap and the color of the lcd should be green if they want it to look retro right? $300 is insane for that, $80 maybe... Just not enough features for the money.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

It's hell owning an old car with the antique radios. The Retro Sound has a ton of features and looks more 1950's and 1960's than 1970's. I've kept my original ETR AM/FM stereo and simply added an MP3 player that plugs into the lighter and plays songs from my SD card and transmits the sound through an FM frequency. The whole thing is super small and it was $20 on ebay. I typically listen to 1950's and 60's lounge music/Frank Sinatra/Elvis/1980's classic alternative and all of it sounds halfway decent coming through my original speakers. Some days I wish I had an 8-track player and I'd be just as happy. Yellow Cadillacs should have it no other way. Dave

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I bought one of these:

Load your MP3s onto an SD card, turn it on, and pop it in your tape player. FFWD and REW selects the next song! Dirt cheap, and works fine. You can even take it out and plug headphones into it...

Woah! How much is that? I have a 32gb Memory Stick Pro DUO, does it have support for those?

Even if it doesn't, I have two 16gb micro SD cards and the regular SD card adapters. That's the PERFECT solution to my radio!! Holy crap!

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

Do they make it in an 8-track version? Seriously though, that's pretty cool. I would love to keep my factory radio, but I hate listening to radio stations.

No crap Matt. That's like the smartest idea ever. I didn't really want to hide a CD walkman in my arm rest just to have control of my music.. that's way too ghetto for me. lol

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Haven't seen an 8 track version, but I do remember cassette to 8 track adapters. If you are handy, you could hack up an 8 track case and make one yourself. I think all you would have to do is make sure the heads line up...

Edit:

Found an adapter, no idea if it would work with what I posted... but I think it would... I just checked, and there are lots of them on Ebay.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Wow! I don't have a cassette or an 8-track - - just AM/FM. Here are some pix of the solution in my car. Got it on ebay shipped from taiwan for $20 or so. The SD card plugs in the bottom or I could plug in an i-pod (if I had one...). Tune in an unused FM station and it broadcasts on the selected frequency. It has a mini LCD screen that displays song titles, etc. Even displays pictures! There is a mini remote control, not pictured, that operates everything. There are also controls on the device but I only use the remote. All of my CD's and i-tunes (I do have i-tunes but no i-pod!) are on that SD so I can listen on long trips to all my favorite music. These pictures were taken a few minutes ago in the dark. Dave

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.